Barbell vs. dumbells for lower body

Fitstick

Cathlete
Hi Cathe,
I've been busy enjoying the new workouts and was wondering-- is it just as effective to use dumbells for lunges, squats, step ups, etc. as it is using a barbell (like in the PLB workout)?

I have a barbell, but when I load it up for lower body work it tends to put too much tension on my neck... so I have been using dumbells hanging at my sides for my lower body work, just want to make sure it is just as effective.

I hope to hear your feedback and appreciate your response.

All the best,
Kim:)

I have been wondering about this too. Last time I did PLB the base of my neck was in pain for two days from the barbell. I had it loaded with 40lbs and really need to go heavier but am reluctant to do so as I don't want with the pain I experienced last time.

Thanks Cathe!
Mary

I experience the same. I made a similar post recently. If you'd like to see the response I got, do a search on RhiannonW. This might give you some input before Cathe has a chance to respond personally.

Do any of you by chance have one of those barbell pads that wrap around the bar? I was experiencing the same problems last year and went right to Wal-Mart and found a barbell pad for $6! It's great! I noticed the other evening when doing leaner legs that my neck was hurting and realized that the pad was off, once I put it on I was okay. Well, it did take a few minutes for the the ache to go away but I was able to complete the workout without decreasing the weight.

The pad is about 18 inches long and has a velcro closure so that it's easy to remove when you have to switch to say biceps curls.

I'd like to know what Cathe has to say too, though!

Angie

Actually, I tried a carseat strap pad on my barbell. It didn't help me at all. It might be it's not thick enough. Not sure.

Yes, I have tried a pad, that was the first thing I did, unfortunately, it didn't help me for the post workout pain.:-( But it is great for the during the workout pain. :) RhiannonW I did a search and didn't see your response, but I am still scouring to find it. Thanks for your input.
Mary

The following is the only response I got - Cathe didn't respond.
To bring up my original question, use the Advanced Search option; put in RhiannonW as keyword; and click Author and Search, it should bring up my original question and the following response.

"I found the same thing, and for me, I think it was from hoisting up a heavy barbell quickly and frequently, and also just having the barbell sitting across the back of the shoulders with arms tensed to hold the thing for such a relatively long period of time. I've done much better by using dumbbells that I lie across my shoulders, ala Firm. Shoulders are not at that forced angle, arms are comfortable and not feeling like I might injure myself hoisting up the barbell so quickly. Not had the trouble since."

Hi Kim! I've been using 15 & 20# dumbbells for PLB & a 50# barbell. Because I have star collars for my clips I found it be very cumbersome to keep changing plates. The dumbbells I use for all of the leg exercises holding them either by my side or on my upper thighs. Yes you will definitely FEEL this!! I worked my legs last nite & boy can I feel it today! Great workout! Best, Kathy:D

There should be no great difference in effect between using a 50 lb barbell for squats (for example) or using 2, 25# dumbbells. It's still adding 50# of resistance to the movement. Just be sure that the positioning of the dumbbells doesn't tend to take you out of good alignement: it's easier to keep the chest up and back in natural lordosis when holding a bar on the back, for example, than it is when holding two dumbbells at your side, which may make you tend to round your back, especially as the weights get heavier. Just pay attention to that, and there should be no problem.

There should be no great difference in effect between using a 50 lb barbell for squats (for example) or using 2, 25# dumbbells. It's still adding 50# of resistance to the movement. Just be sure that the positioning of the dumbbells doesn't tend to take you out of good alignement: it's easier to keep the chest up and back in natural lordosis when holding a bar on the back, for example, than it is when holding two dumbbells at your side, which may make you tend to round your back, especially as the weights get heavier. Just pay attention to that, and there should be no problem.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.