Barbell suggestions?

AMinor

Hi! I am in the market for a barbell. I looked at the buyer's info Cathe has posted on this site, but I am not sure what I need. I was just wondering if some of you would mind telling me what kind of barbell do you use and if you like it? I heard there was a Troy Lite (around 5 ft. long & 5 pounds?), but I couldn't find it on their website.

Additionally, what is a good "starter" set of plate weights for the barbell. I have looked into body bars, (they seem more comfortable) but I don't want to limit myself to one weight. I would really appreciate any suggestions, from Cathe or other forum readers.

Thanks,
April

I got my Troy Lite Barbell at www.fitness1st.com. Shipping varies based on location (they are in KS), and it was $13 for me (in AL). They have an Aerobic Lite Set, but I did not get that. Instead, I paid a little extra and a pair of each : 2.5, 5, and 10 lbs. I find that this is a good starter set for me -- I usually used 5-15 lbs dumbells. I heard that body bars are good, but it costs too much to get variable weights.

Good Luck!

Haslina

Hi April, let me share with you the mistake I made so you can make a decision which way you want to go.
I too thought, "starter weights", and purchased the "grip system" which was a 35# set, which I thought was good for a starter set of weights, however, I found that because it's necessary for muscle development, to increase your weight when your current weight is no longer challenging your muscles, I outgrew that "starter" set of weights in 6 weeks, forcing me to make another purchase.
I then decided to purchase a set I could "grow with". I purchased the Cap Barbell 110-lb weight set, which includes a barbell, 2-dumbbell handles, plates (75lbs. worth), collars and clips. The set was only $49.00 at Dunham's Sports, and I'll never need to purchase additional plates (or at least no time in the near future!)
So maybe instead of thinking "starter", think, "grow with", because you're going to increase your weight, how fast or slow is individual, but my first weight tape was MIS, and with working out 3x/week, within 6 weeks I was needing heavier than 35lbs for certain exercises.
Good luck, Donna

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.