Bad Knees and Static Lunges

stepper53

OUCH!!!! Hi, I've purchased many of your DVD's and work out to them about 3 or 4 times a week. I've really gotten into weight training as part of the Abs Diet..(more training then diet). I have arthritis and bones spurs in my left knee and what they call "rigid toe" in my right great toe (it won't bend forward without terrible pain). I am 53 years old and have been doing Step aerobics for 11 years about 4-5 times per week. No celluite at 53! Thanks to step.

Needless to say, even though I love your Total Body Max workout DVD, I am having a terrible time with the squats and lunges. I have been doing them, but am at the point where I need to find an alternative for my legs and gluts other then static lunges. I do okay on the barbell lunges with legs side by side and my knee brace on..but the toe not bending makes those Static lunges excruciating. I feel guilty if I skip them even though I do them pretty lame.

Because of the knee the toe and plantars faciitis...stepping became pretty miserable to. I can do my older tapes that aren't quite as fast paced as yours (although I have 2 of yours as well, they just make my heart rate go way too fast and I'm worn out after the WARM UP). I step maybe 1 time per week now and do weight training 3 times and one of your ab routines every 2 days.

My question is ... can you give me some kind of exercise for my quads, thighs and gluts that doesn't require me to bend forward on my bad knee while trying to bend a toe that won't bend? Or...would it do just as well to do 2 or 3 sets of the barbell squats instead of the static lunges? I want to make sure my rear and legs stay firm as my joints begin to freeze up...LOL Thanks.

Not cathe,
but why don't you just try walking lunges or regular lunges during that part if those don't seem to bother you.
Don't risk your knees. You need them...
Pause and take a stretch in between. Whatever works for you and doesn't hurt.You don't want bad pain.I am sure you will get the same benefits . Static lunges took me a while. I had to pull up for a long time.Now , it is the slow motion in GS legs. SHAKE , SHAKE, SHAKE v^v^v^.

And, good luck.
Anne

http://www.picturetrail.com/acatalina

Am I reading correctly that if your right foot is behind you, THAT is the problem you're facing? If so, you can do the lunge with your back leg on a stability ball (your shin resting on the ball). You won't have any weight on your back foot or toe that way.

As for your knee... if you go to less than 90 degrees with your leg (a shallower lunge), does that still hurt? A lunge is different from a squat, so you are working slightly different muscles. You say "bend forward on my bad knee" and that might be the issue... you don't bend forward on a lunge- you sink down! There should be no forward movement at all in a static lunge.

Do you have knee trouble with leg presses? There are always fire hydrants and other floor work you can do in place of weight-bearing legwork if the weight-bearing gets to be too much. GS legs and PLB both have segments of floor work that will let you know you're working your legs!!!

HTH,

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.