Back pain during crunches...

naughtoj

Cathlete
Hi Cathe..

I finally have a question!!
I am experiencing mid-upper back pain when I do abdominal work, specifically anything involving the "crunch" motion. I know my form is correct. I have had this problem for many years and have always assumed it was from a muscular imbalance..maybe weak back muscles?? But I have been doing your tapes for a year now and my back still starts hurting, kindof cramping, about 2 min. into crunches. I have to stop and do the twisting stretch (where your legs go to one side and your arms to another) just to relieve this pain. It does feel muscular and I know there is nothing medically wrong, as I have been to a doctor for back pain before. Can you hypothesize on what this may be?? My abs are probably my weakest part, as I am not fond of crunches for the reasons above. Do you think my back is just working too hard to compensate for weaker abdominals??

Any input would be appreciated, as it seems I will never advance in this area because of this. Planks do not bother me....

Thanks!
Janice

http://www.picturetrail.com/thrashej

Hi Janice. Sorry I'm not Cathe, but I do have something to say about your ab work causing you back pain. I never used to work my stomach for the same reason....it seemed to hurt my back so much. I've started using a stability ball for my ab work. I love it. (You will see me state this quite a few times on the forums). My back doesn't hurt at all and i've seen great results with the ball. The ball is also great for back work. I've taken a ball class at a gym with a friend of mine a few times. That's how I know some moves for the stomach. If you look in the Balance Ball series, they have a tape for the abs only. I'm not sure how good it is though. If you would get onto CollageVideo.com and look it up, they have reviews from actual users. It may give you some idea of its effectiveness. If you have no experience using the ball for core muscles, you may not have any idea what exercises you can do. This tape may help you.

Just a thought....

Kim

Just piping in, I have scoliosis and I get back pain during crunches too and I know my form is ok as well, so I'll be interested to hear what anwsers you get!

Jill

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.