Arm Definition

Deeetrent

Clarification

Hello Cathe,
My name is Deirdre Gentile and I am new to the forum. I have been lurking about for a few weeks now, and I have a question about the advice you recommended. I've chosen to follow your recommendation for "Arm Definition", but for how long should this program be followed? 4 weeks? 8 weeks? or 12 weeks? And then what do I do? I have been lifting weights for the past 8 years, therefore, I am not a beginner. I would just like some guidance because I have not achieved the results I am looking for, which is more definition (cut, especially in my arms). I eat a low-fat diet, do cardio 6 days/week, and before following this program, lifting by grouping body parts such as in the PS series 3x/week.
Your response would be greatly appreciated. I also want you to know how much I love your videos (I have almost all of them),your website, and consistent encouragement and motivation in helping all of us achieve our fitness goals. You're a real inspiration!! Thank you.

Hi Deirdre!

Welcome to the forum. Nice to have you with us. I'm also glad that you are enjoying your videos so much
happy.gif

As for your question, there really is no exact answer for how long you should do a rotation, especially since you are not a beginner. You just need to continue with a program until your results start to plateau. At that point you need to shake things up by experimenting with one or more of the following: 1) going heavier and slower, 2) changing exercises within that body part and/or exercise order within that body part, 3) changing # of reps, 4) changing # of sets, 5) changing your rep speed, 6) lifting lighter and faster. These are some elements that help to keep your rotations stimulating.

Obviously you are not happy with your current results, and therefore, I agree that it is wise for you to change something around. Choosing to focus on a specific muscle group per workout for greater arm definition is a nice approach. When doing this approach(and/or any approach for that matter)work it hard. If you don't start to see any change by 6 weeks, then try to change one of the six elements listed above. You'll have to do some experimenting to find out specifically what your body responds most favorably to. And once you have found this out, remember that you will always need to make some subtle changes if/when you find that your rotation no longer provides you with the results it once used to.

Also, for some people, high levels of cardio tend to keep them from gaining sizeable muscles. Therefore, if you do not have any luck with the rotation above, another option could be to try cutting back on a day(or maybe two) of cardio.

Good Luck!

Taebo Double Duty for Arms?

Cathe,
I too have pencil arms but pretty good leg definition. Your suggestion of adding three arm sessions a week sounds good, but with my work schedule an hour a day is about all the exercise time I can handle. I now do 1 hour 3x per week of TaeBo, which is great for toning legs but lousy for arms and P/S for the other 3 days (1 day rest). Could I get double duty from the TaeBo workouts by adding 1 1/2# gloves for the work out? I know you are not supposed to add weights when cardio kickboxing, but it doesn't seem like it would cause an injury since I do not overextend or go crazy with the moves, and its a light weight. I can't go heavier with P/S weights or my form suffers. Maybe there is no short cut, and my only alternative is to do 2 hours each day on the weekend, but that is hard to fit in. Thanks for your help - I can't wait for your new tapes!

Are Building Strength and Losing Wt. Mutually Exclusive?

Hi Cathe. Thanks for taking the time to type out that great recommendation. You say that perhaps one should cut back on cardio if not seeing strength/size gains. What if the goal is to lose fat and gain muscle? I suppose by gaining muscle one is losing fat, but isn't cardio supposed to be what burns the most fat? If I were to cut back on that in order to see more muscle definition, would that hinder my fat loss? (Yea, like I do sooo much cardio now. I guess this is more of a theoretical question. I'm trying to come up with a plan to do both.) Thanks.

What a great thread!

Wow June, thanks for asking that question. And Cathe..you are just awesome
happy.gif
, I can't believe how much great info is in here...printing this one!

nancy:O)

Workout Schedule

<center><font size="1" color="#ff0000">LAST EDITED ON Apr-26-00 AT 09:59PM (EST)</font></center>

LAST EDITED ON Apr-25-00 AT 10:38 PM (EST)

Hi Cathe,
I was just wondering if you could take a look at the schedule I planned for developing more visible definition (cuts) in my arms and determine if it is appropriate or inappropriate in order for me to reach my goal. Like I said, I am not a beginner, but I do feel I need to change my routine around to see if this will help, and would appreciate your expert opinion. As a matter of fact, I have a universal in my home and that is what I was planning on using to begin this program. I have been doing the PS series for about 3 months, and feel like I've hit a plateau and want to try something new. The program I planned is as follows:

Mon- Chest/Shoulders Triceps. Chest- Decline push-ups, flat bench press (w/bar & plates), Incline bench press (w/ the same), Incline flyes, and pec dec. Shoulders: Arnold Press, lateral raise, clean & sweep, and rear delt raise
Triceps: Dips (w/ weight in lap), push downs (w/cable and plates), and overhead presses. (All exercises at 3 sets, 12 reps).

Tues- Biceps- Barbell curls (4 sets of 8 reps, w/heaviest wt), (the next 3 exercises will be heavy, but not as heavy of 3 sets of 12 reps) Incline curls, preacher curls, and hammer curls.

Wed- PS legs- Should I add leg extension and leg curls with this video?

Thurs- Triceps- French Press (4 sets of 8 reps, w/heaviest wt), (the next 3 exercises will be heavy, but not as heavy of 3 set of 12 reps), close grips (w/bar), push downs, cross-body cross-overs.

Fri- Back/Biceps - Back: Lat pull down (front and back), low rows, one-arm rows. Biceps: EZ curl, seated dumbell curls, and concentration curls. (All exercises at 3 sets, 12 reps).

Sat- Shoulder- Military press (w/ bar, 4 sets of 8 reps w/ heaviest wt), (the next 3 exercises will be heavy, but not as heavy of 3 sets of 12 reps), lateral raise, front raise, rear delts.

Sun- Rest

I know its a long request, but I'd feel better if you reviewed it and gave me your honest opinion. In addition to this, I would continue to do cardio (preferably your step videos). How many days of cardio would you suggest I do? You stated earlier that if I wasn't happy with the results after about 6 weeks, to possibly cut back a day or two on cardio to see if this will promote a change.
Your response would mean so much to me. I know how limited your time is. Again, thank you so much for taking the time, and just know that you are greatly appreciated.

-Deirdre-

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.