Is anyone using or have used Glucosamine Sulfate?

msbone

Hi, it's me again with more questions...

I've been reading about the benefits of using Glucosamine to help support and maintain healthy joints, but I do not know anyone personally who has tried it to tell me thumbs up or down.

I'm 37, and my knees took some major wear and tear over the past 8 years as I was morbidly obese until I began losing weight early this year, but I've heard that Glucosamine can save what cartilidge you have left, even in some cases strengthen the cartilidge.

Can anyone tell me YEA or NAY on this before I spend the $

And if YEA, is one brand about the same as any other? Some brands want $30. for a bottle while others want $10. Does it make a difference?
Thanks for any and all replies! You all are so much help! Anne

I'm afraid I don't have a specific answer for you, but my hubby has been taking a Glucosamine/Chondroitin supplement for a few months now, since he had some knee and hip problems that the doctor thought could be precursors to arthritis. He hasn't had any problems since he's been taking the supplement, but I wouldn't take that as proof of anything.

What I can tell you is that I read an article in Prevention magazine a few months back -- it may have been the August issue -- in which they stated that the Arthritis Foundation has endorsed Glucosamine as effective for pain relief and to prevent further loss of cartilage. I'm paraphrasing from what I can remember about the article, so you may want to check on Prevention's website for more info. They may have also recommended specific dosages or formulations in the article, but I can't remember for sure.

Hope this helps, at least a little bit! :)

http://homepage.mac.com/lynnelounsbury/newfoolsm.gif

Hi. I just thought I'd give you my .02... I am an avid stepper and I started having alot of knee pain about 6 months ago after I intensified my step and jogging workouts. I heard about Glucosamine (on one of these Cathe Forums) and it has helped me tremendously! In the beginning I also lowered my step to 6inches for a while - but now I can say that I'm pain free stepping at 8 inches as well as doing hi-lo, kickbox and I even completed my first 10k. SO I say YES to the Glucosamine. Also, I mentioned to my doc I was taking it and he had no negatives... I take the Glocosamine/Chondroitin combo and it is pretty pricey. I don't think it matters what brand you take (I got the GNC brand on sale) - but you may want to check out the dosage of the pills, that could be the difference in the cost too.

Hope I've been helpful. Sorry to ramble.

Kathleen

Thank you so much for your reply, I may not know you personally, but to hear you say you take it and have had positive results is all I needed to hear! I will check out the Glucosamine/Chondroitin combo at my local GNC. Thanks again, Anne

Thank you for your reply, and I get Prevention mag and I believe I read the article you are talking about which is what made me consider this supplement in the first place (smile). Thanks, Anne

Anne,

I'll throw my 02 in also. I've been using the combo for about a year now. Everyone in my family takes it - including my 80 year old ping-pong playing dad. We are all very conscious of arthritis since my mom had to have a knee replacement about 3 years ago (compared to the cost of her surgery, I consider it cheap insurance). I used to have some morning stiffness in my ankles and occasional knee pain. That pain no longer exists. I've been told the recommended dosage is 1500 mg Glucosamine per day. I take one tablet with each meal which equals the 1500. I was concerned about any possible side affects when I started taking them. I'm happy to report that there are absolutely none! So at the very least, it doesn't hurt anything.

Lindy

Yes to Glucosamine

Chondroitin. Absolutely agree that it helps the joints.Co-enzyme Q-10 is the precursor to glucosamine chondriotin and that is a good one to take with it.
(They even have glucosamine chondroitin supplements for my horse!!)

Hi - I'm a nurse and an orthopedic surgeon I work with takes glucosamine/chondroitin himself and he definitely recommends it. He's very skeptical about things like this and he has to be pretty impressed by something to start recommending it to patients. I don't know where you live, but here it's cheapest at Wal-Mart.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.