Amount of weight

jgoycoolea

Cathlete
Cathe, In your videos you typically lift about 30-40 pounds. Did you build your body with that weight, or do you regularly lift heavier? I have reached the point where 30-40 pounds does not challenge me. However, I have difficulty getting heavier amounts into position. For example, I can squat more than I can press and get behind my neck! What do you suggest? Thank you, Jeanne

Hi Jeanne! I'm not Cathe, but I would like to know what she lift off carmera as well! Do you have PS SLA? There's a part in that where she talks about how women can handle heavier weights on their back, but can't handle lifting to their backs. In that, she says that's why she does some endurance exercise to fatigue the muscle, since we can't do pure strength lifting without a spotter. Didn't mean to butt in, but I hope this helps:)!

Aimee

Hi! Are you referring to legs only? If so, this is a common problem for home exercisers who do not have access to a spotter. I do address this in the PS Series. All of my leg workouts have this situation factored in and therefore I usually have to do a slightly lighter weight with higher reps to exhaust the muscles in a different way. Even on the slow heavy series, I have to alter from the format a bit to accomodate this situation.

If you need a greater challenge during your leg workouts, I suggest pre-exhausting your legs with barbell static lunges before you start your other leg exercises. After your warm up, put about 30 to 40 pounds on your barbell (depends on your ability) and do one set of 10 SLOW reps (one rep should take about 4 to 6 seconds) with your right leg in front, then take a 15 to 30 second break (putting the bar down)and do another set of 10 SLOW reps with the left leg in front. Then take a 30 second break and do two more sets in that exact same pattern. That should really fatigue your legs for the rest of the workout. Good Luck!

Cathe and Aimee,
Thank you both for your input. It is nice to know, Aimee, that others have the same question. And, Cathe, I was thinking of legs when I sent in this question, but have the same problem with barbell presses for the chest. However,I can get around it a bit by using dumbbells. Amazing how resourceful you can get when you work out exclusively at home. I apologize for seeming pushy or rude--but Cathe, you didn't Completely answer my question! Do you lift heavier when not filming videos? I am curious as to whether I can build muscles like yours with this amount of weight or if I do need to be going heavier. Thank you again. It was nice to receive such a prompt reply. Oh, and of course, I love your videos.
Jeanne

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.