Alcohol

rachel132

Cathlete
Cathe, I have started using your videos about 6 months ago and am AMAZED at the results. I feel so motivated after a workout and I am so proud of myself for sticking with it.

My problem/question is that my self-control with alcohol is really hindering my cardio/strength training. My husband is in a band and we are constantly out at clubs as he gigs during the week and on weekends. Everyone in the band and their wives are all friends and we usually have a lot of fun. I am trying to limit myself from drinking alcohol, but, right now, it is difficult for me.

I am hoping to get some feedback on how alcohol deters from the progress of my fitness goals which is to possibly drop body fat another 2% and make it all the way through IMAX I and MIC without struggling as much as I am now (and to bump my step up the 2nd riser). Please -- give me some things to think about while I'm out to keep my goals. Maybe if I knew REALLY how bad it is - it wouldn't be so hard to pass up a vodka and cranberry.

Hi,

I just wanted to share with you my struggle with alcohol. I am 30 now. I have always been around alcohol. I grew up all around it. I do believe that is a reason why I cannot lose the weight I want (about 20 lbs). I have tried to cut down but live in a small town and all my friends drink and every event involves drinking. Plus I like to drink. I have tried to cut it down to one day a week. Sometimes I will not hit the alcohol first thing when I get somewhere and start an hour or more later. Also I will refuse to go to events because I figure a lot of people don't drink and must do something else to fill their time. Try drinking a full glass of water in between drinks. I have been reading a few different diet books and they all say limit the alcohol. I guess we have to decide which we want more a great body with a few less cocktails in our life or keep our habits try to get in our exercise and be happy with ourselves. Grrrrr...... Hope you figure it out and Cathe has some good ideas for us. Take Care.

I am a singer with a band that works every weekend, sometimes several times
a weekend and understand your situation. Like many here, I work VERY hard on
my health and figure. Along with the alchahol at my gigs, often the band will be offered
a wonderful meal. I want to encourage you to enjoy your 1-2 drinks with plenty of water
and a lovely meal as well. I only take one of the days on the weekend to do this.
Because I work so hard through the week, I feel no guilt and in fact fully look forward
to my red wine, or apple martini's. I have continued to make progress with my fitness
goals in spite of my weekend splurge. I really think that we can allow ourselves these
kinds of splurges IF we keep it to a day a week. By the way, I also enjoy a piece ( 1/4 oz) pf
dark chocolate with my espresso every morning without consequence! Good luck and
remember YOU CONTROL the food and drink it doesn't control you.

Deb Dailey

I really want to hear what Cathe will say about this, but in the meantime I'm going to throw my two cents in.
I've heard something about how you can't drink AND build muscle, but I can't remember the details. It was something about how alcohol depletes your muscles of something that it needs in order to grow. But I don't think it's true, because my muscles do fine and I usually have two glasses of wine at night.
What's really strange for me is that if I don't have the wine at night, then my cardio the next day is lethargic, and I don't even want to pick up the weights. When I have the wine I have an extra edge and intensity (and strength!) that's not there when I don't drink! Maybe it just agrees with my system. Wouldn't that be nice. :)
I hope you get an answer from someone who knows!

I have read that alcohol slows the metabolism for a few hours after drinking so it stands to reason that it would slow weight loss progress to some degree if you drink it daily.

Sad news since I really enjoy wine with my dinner. It's funny that this thread was posted since I have been scolding myself for 'indulging' most nights lately. I am only have 2 glasses 4 or 5 times / wk.

I have also read that successful weight loss is merely calories in need to be less than calories burned. If you are eating sensibly during the day and allow the extra calories and drink in moderation, perhaps you will still make progress. The suggestions to drink water between drinks is great since it will keep your body hydrated.

Joey, if you have better workouts after a little wine in the evenings, the wine is probably relaxing you so that you rest better. Just a guess :)!

dee

RE: Thank You.

Wow. I'm really shocked at these responses. Thank you for responding...I don't feel as guilty. I was expecting to hear that a couple of drinks equals 5 Big Macs or something like that to scare me and to hear how stupid I am for negating my workouts. I think I need to be kinder to myself. It is strange, but I have also noticed that sometimes my work outs are stronger if I have had a couple of drinks the night before. I'm going to experiment for two weeks - no drinking at all and see if my results improve or stay the same. I feel so much better. Thank you.

I think I will also stop feeling guilty about my morning cappaccino.

I'm 24, so my metabolism is probably still higher than it will be once I turn 30, but I've started drinking about 4-6 light beers twice a week (I hadn't drank for months). I haven't really gained much weight, but I will get some extra cellulite if I don't watch it.

Drinking is only a problem for me if I come home starving and eat tons of junk food at 2am. And sometimes I won't work out all weekend because I'm too tired. So just make sure you eat lower calorie drinks, don't overeat because of the drinking, eat healthy throughout the day- especially if you know you're going out that night. If you balance your drinking, you should be ok.

Sorry I don't have any scientific data, but in my nutrition class, we did learn that moderate drinkers usually drink in addition to their usual meals, and this leads to gaining body fat. That's why you should be sure to eat better than usual. Food slows alcohol's absorption though so you might want to have a light meal before drinking so you don't end up getting "trashed". This will also help out your liver.

Another thing we learned was that alcoholics might not be overweight because they drink instead of eat, so although that's very unhealthy, they're not going over their recommended caloric intake. But like I said earlier, most people drink in addition to their regular meals.

Moderation seems the key here.

Hopefully I'm misundestanding that the #1 focus seems to be staying thin and watching caloric intake rather than being healthy and not drinking to excess. It just seems all the priorities are a bit confused.... after all this forum is suppose to be about healthy life styles. Hopefully I"m just misinterpreting this post :(

Robyn6002,

If you are referring to my response, that is not what I meant at all. WW is an example of a plan that monitors calories or at least did when I was a member. You save points for special treats (current members correct me if I'm wrong). Yes, healthier treats are the ideal!

I mentioned eating healthy during the day and drinking in moderation AND not everyday or anything. I did not intend for anyone to think that I was saying starve yourself so you can drink later :O

I plan to reserve two evenings / wk where I can have a glass or two of wine with dinner. I have had little progress lately and am attributing that to not eating as clean as I did a few months ago.

dee

I also enjoy wine with dinner most nights and when I go out to dinner (once a week usually), I enjoy scotch & soda. I'm fifty this year and try to do cardio 6 days a week and strength 3-4 times per week. I'm not cut and I don't have a six pack, but I feel better than in my 20's or 30's. I have built more muscle and endurance over the last three years and I'm happy with the way I look. I just put my mother in a nursing home last week. She has had alzheimers for about 8 years and has lived with me for the last 4. (After that experience, I try not to sweat the small stuff. Life really is too short!!) I don't eat clean (I try to eat everything in moderation). The exercising has given me that opportunity, in my opinion.

Thanks for the thread.

You are right. My original post was not intended to condone excessive drinking. What I was saying is that it is a particular problem for me -- obviously, or I just wouldn't do it if it bothered me. I thought I might get some replies on the negative impacts of alcohol and that I could use those facts to help me make healthier decisions. For example, some people said alcohol makes it difficult for the body to absorb nutrients or hinders muscle development. These are things I wanted to know and to think about to help me overcome things that I am allowing myself to keep me from being a healthier person and succeeding at my fitness goals.

I have cut my alcohol consumption to maybe four light beers a week. Anything else makes me feel sluggish in the morning and if I get up at 4:30 am to exercise, I need all the energy I can get. So alcohol is not that important to me anymore.

My husband on the other hand, could stand to lose 20 lbs. He says my cooking is causing his pot belly. If I show him on paper, what amount of empty calories he is drinking in addition to what he eats on the weekend, he says "I am not going to cut down on beer, cut down on the cooking". This is a guy who drinks easily 5000 to 7000 extra calories between Friday night and Sunday night. And then he wonders why he feels so badly after a 6 mile run on Monday morning and he's through until Wednesday.

I think you probably are misinterpreting the posts- I'm sure no one here has the sole priority of weight loss so you shouldn't assume that. Everyone states moderation is the most important thing in one way or another. They are just sharing THEIR experiences with alcohol- whether it causes them to overeat or skip a workout, it all affects health in some way. Afterall, watching how many calories you drink does affect your weight AND health.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.