Aging question

Lee Jones

Cathlete
Cathe,

I know you are in Chicago, but I hope you get a chance to read this question. I was wondering, as a trainer, have you noticed changes in your body (physique) as you've aged? I mean, do your workouts today still give you the same the results as they did, say, 10 years ago?

The reason I ask is even though I was never at your level of fitness, I have regularly worked out for over 10 years (just turned 49) and I've noticed a difference of how my body is looking since then. Especially in the arms. Now when I pump weights, I notice that I have a "sinewy" look to my biceps and triceps that I did not have just a few years ago. I actually do not like the look and thinking of backing off heavy weights due to it. Now I have always been on the thin side and not sure if that has anything to do with it, but it is discouraging.

I know your arms are anything but "sinewy" but I am curious if you noticed any differences.

Thanks!

Laura :)

Lucia is so right on! Don't stop. Aging is subjective to many things, something as innocuous as sleeping 8 hours and drinking clean, UN-flouridated water, consuming enough fats like coconut oil, clarified organic butter (ghee) red palm oil, and eating unprocessed foods as much as possible. Your gut health is imperative along with dental health. I consume copious amounts of fat in my diet, non-oxidizing healthy fats, mostly saturated like coconut, tallow, advocado. Also, if you get your minerals right, stay away from processed salt, don't supplement with calcium (yup I said it) and a host of other points like adequate Vitamin D levels, K2, selenium, magnesium and vitamin c, etc., you will balance out beautifully.

Lucia is so right on! Don't stop. Aging is subjective to many things, something as innocuous as sleeping 8 hours and drinking clean, UN-flouridated water, consuming enough fats like coconut oil, clarified organic butter (ghee) red palm oil, and eating unprocessed foods as much as possible. Your gut health is imperative along with dental health. I consume copious amounts of fat in my diet, non-oxidizing healthy fats, mostly saturated like coconut, tallow, advocado. Also, if you get your minerals right, stay away from processed salt, don't supplement with calcium (yup I said it) and a host of other points like adequate Vitamin D levels, K2, selenium, magnesium and vitamin c, etc., you will balance out beautifully.

Why no calcium, Dirt Diva? That goes against everything I've ever read. I'm 59 and not about to take Boniva or any of those nasty meds that grow "bad" bone, so cal-mag is a definite supplement in my diet. However, that being said, I make sure to use a calcium source that's easily absorbed by the body, like calcium citrate.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.