Aerobic Weight Training

lwseymour

Cathlete
Cathe,

Can you please explain "aerobic weight training" to me. I have recently read a book about how aerobic weight training is necessary for fat loss. I have been keeping my cardio separate from strength training (Cardio 4x per week, strength training each body part 1x per week). I am curious if you and others here include "AWT" in your weekly routines and if so, what kind of workout does it consists of? Also, is Circuit Max and Body Max considered "AWT"? I guess my question is - am I leaving out an important part of fitness since I've not been doing AWT?

CAN'T WAIT FOR POWER HOUR!!!! Thanks for all your great videos!

Lisa

Since noone else has popped up with a reply, I will delurk and take a stab. I have never even heard of aerobic weight training and I read lots on fitness. I would assume it refers to some sort of circuit weight training with moderate weight where you move from exercise to exercise with no rest such that your heart rate stays up. However, for an intermeidate to advanced exerciser, this is not going to produce much muscle gain (if any at all). And we all know that muscle burns calories. I do this sort of workout every other week or so when I am burned out on cardio. Unfortunately, I feel that it negatively effects my ability to lift heavy on my regular weight training days. With that in mind, I try to do it not too soon after weights -- so my muscles can grow, and not to soon before weights again--so that I can go heavy again. I don't think you have been leaving anything critical out. Jeanne

Thanks Jeanne for your response. I've noticed that many exercise videos use weights DURING the aerobic/cardio sections. I think some people call it 4 limbed aerobics. I have always kept strength training entirely separate from cardio. This combination of using weights while doing cardio is confusing to me. I have read that this is the most effective exercise to lose body fat. Is this simply marketing?

I do know that the Firm considers their tapes Aerobic Weight Training. They say it is the best way to lose weight/fat. I used the Firm for years and while I enjoyed the tapes very much, I never lost a pound or an inch. I learned about Cathe from the Firm Forum and started using her tapes which, as you know, separates cardio from strength training. I love it. I have not lost any weight, but I have lost inches. I know everybody is different, but for me the aerobic weight training concept did not work. I'm actually thinking of selling all my Firm tapes because of this.

[font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON Jul-27-01 AT 08:13AM (Est)[/font][p]Hi! In my opinion, you're not missing out on a critical component of fitness. I think it's just an alternative. Firm tapes would definitely qualify as AWT. I use Firm on an "off/on" basis. Lately I've been using it more. As Cathe always says, it's good to shock the muscles and I find the variety adds to my fitness enjoyment. After using Firm tapes and Cathe together for a few weeks, I am usually ready to go back to an "all Cathe" rotation. I like to lift heavy with Cathe, and I really can't do that with Firm tapes. The aerobic quality of Firm keeps you at lower weights (in my opinion) otherwise your heart rate would be sky-high throughout the workout. It's something to try and play with. I also have some trouble scheduling these types of tapes and my heavy Cathe-style lifting. I don't want to shortchange my heavy lifting, so the AWT tapes are the first to go when I must choose.

Hi,
I have been using The firm videos for about 2 years now in combination with spinning. I found that spinning helped me lose the fat but it was the firm tapes that really helped with shaping my legs and my arms. When I stopped spinning I had to concentrate on the AWT to keep the fat off...surprisingly enough they do an excellent job. A full year without spinning and I am still in pretty good shape, infact I look much better. I was surprised. I dont have the same level of endurance but the muscle tone is better. Yes you cant really lift very heavy with the firm tapes, the speed of the workout limits that, but if you want to lose weight and keep it off, if you want a slim look and be toned...then they pretty much do the job.

Another Firm user. The Firm was responsible for helping me lose 25 lbs and firm up nicely. I am a very big fan. I was using strictly Firms for about 3 years. I heavied up on their strength tapes and liked the 4 limbed format. But, I got to the point of needing more of a challenge. I heard of Cathe and I do her things most of the time now. I believe the Firm is very effective but Cathe is more intense throughout all workouts.

I have to say...the Firm really strengthened my lower body. My upper is fine, but Cathe's weights make me tremble in my upper body. The Firm's lower body stuff really prepared me for Cathe.

Anyway...just my two cents. I like them seperated now (weight vs. cardio) but the combo of the two did work for me; it just lost its intensity as I became more fit!

After making consistent progress for a couple of years, I hit a plateau last winter that continued into the spring--very frustrating. I didn't break through until I separated my weight training from my cardio a couple of months ago (although I do still combine them a couple of days a week--just in separate, back-to-back workouts) and expanded my video collection to include more non-Firm tapes (especially cardio) and some circuit training. I'm choreographically challenged, so I've gone for very basic floor and step tapes, and I use only the platform of the step while I'm learning the workout to reduce the risk of injury from a misstep. Some of the tapes would probably get boring if I used them day after day, but between the Firm Swap and the VF Exchange, I was able to get enough variety to keep that from happening--plus I like to zone out when I work out after a long day in the office and not have to worry about learning/remembering choreography. (Remember the Far Side cartoon where the kid asked to be excused from class because his brain was full?:D)

The bottom line is that I'm seeing progress again. I think the most important thing is to keep experimenting until you find the combination that works for you, and to make changes again when you hit a plateau. No one combination or rotation is going to work for everyone.

Hi, Martha,

I have also done the Firm tapes. I think they are very well done, but personally, I do not care for aerobic weight trainig. I feel I get a better quality cardio workout by keeping the two types of workouts separate. On the other hand, it is sometimes nice to hit the weights and the cardio in one tape. Firm tapes are alot like circuit training. Can you imagine NOT using all four of your limbs while working out? LOL!

:)
Bobbi

I have been using the Firm for 2 years now coupled with spinning...lately I have switched to seperating my cardio days from my weight days because I needed a change. Boy! Do I ever like it! I like not having my heart pounding while I lift ... and not having to do jumping jacks in between ... or plyos. I like the firm and I have lost a lot of weight from their style ... but I need a break from it. I like split routines, I think. I want the Slow and Heavy series!!!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.