Advice on form for PS/MIS

rbrack

I recently purchased PS series, MIS and IMAX. I am working my way through the PS and MIS tapes gradually. My problem is sorness in my neck while doing exercises involving a barbell. What am I doing wrong? My shoulders also get stiff. I do the between set stretches, but sometimes I have to stop in the middle of a set because of a cramp or soreness in my neck and upperbody.

I ordered IMAX for cardio, but I am very uncoordinated and it is difficult for me to catch onto all of the moves! I am able to get through about half of the tape, doing half of the moves. I suppose that is a start.

I have to say the the intensity of these tapes is different from the FIRM. I am sore for a few days after each tape! I am hoping to see great results!

Any input is appreciated!

Ronni

Hi Ronni! Enjoy your new tapes. You should get some very nice results as it sounds as if you are in the "shock your body" mode. You are going about IMAX properly. Continue to work at it in this gradual manner. It is hard for me to guess what could possibly be doing this without watching you and/or knowing which exercises you are referring to. But I will say that many people who start out with weight training complain of this because their muscles in their shoulder area are not as flexible and/or have not worked up to the level of endurance required to hold the bar in one position for so long (since you are already familiar with weight training the latter could be your reason). If this is the kind of stiffness that you are referring to, this tends to go away with time. Continue to insert stretches where needed and stop when needed. You may also want to extend your warm up a little longer to include some extra stretches. An excellent stretch to help open up the shoulder/chest area to prepare for holding a barbell is the following:

After your warm up, walk over to a wall or doorway opening and place your right hand on the wall (or doorway opening). Slowly rotate your body to the left as you keep your right hand on the wall and feel that nice big stretch in the chest and front of the shoulder. Repeat on the other side. You may also want to inset this stretch between exercises that cause discomfort in this area as well.

Keep up the good work and always listen to your body :).

Cathe,

Thank you for responding to my question!

I will incorporate the additional stretches into my routine!

Ronni

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.