Advice for the 50+ gang

nancy324

Cathlete
Now that I'm in my fifties, my goals are to stay lean and prevent muscle loss. I think as we age it's important to be lean because it makes it so much easier to prevent all of the preventable ailments out there, like heart disease, diabetes type 2, and joint problems.

I'm finding it easier to stay lean because my sweet tooth has diminished, and rich foods don't interest me as much as they did when I was younger. Cardio also helps me control my appetite. However, I find that heavy strength training increases my appetite, and instead of just eating a few more healthy items, I wind up eating far more calories than I need.

I know that at my age muscle loss is more rapid, and that strength training is more important than ever. So, here's my question: can I prevent muscle loss with just endurance training? Is it enough, or do I need to go a bit heavier from time to time?

Thanks so much! :)

I ditto what Nancy has asked! It is a very good question for us 50 and older gang. I would like to think that endurance strength training would be enough.

I know that I want to maintain the muscle mass that I do have now. So, to Cathe, could you help us with this question?

Cheryl

Cheryl, do you have an increase in appetite when you do heavy strength training? If it weren't for that, and the fear of overeating, I'd be lifing heavy because I really enjoy it. But instead of just adding muscle, I always wind up adding both muscle and fat. :(

Yes, I am hungrier when I lift heavier. I really like circuit training, so I try to do every other one with heavier weights. That does seem to help with my appetite. If I get too hungry, I try to fill up on fruit.

I, also, have lost my taste for sweets. I use to like to eat candy. I gave up all sugar ( candy, cookies, sugary foods, etc.) about 8 months ago. Now, I have no desire for it at all. I also gave up all diet pop and have only drank water for 8 months. I drink lots and lots of water and that helps tone down my appetite also.

I have noticed that if I put any weight on (even 5 pounds), I put it on in my waist and ab section. I never used to have that problem until I turned about 48 or so. I wouldn't mind adding 5 pounds over all. I do not want to have a belly. So, this is my main concern with the aging process.

Sorry this was so long. Hey, didn't you turn 51 on 03/24? I turned 51 this past December, so I think we are the same age!

Cheryl

Hey fellow 50+ers!! I am 52 (53 in November)! Working out has changed - I have to be more careful about impact and injuries - and just work harder all the way around. My appetite has changed - and I agree with the mid-section plumpiness. This winter I was able to drop some weight - prompting my 17 year old to say that I was just making excuses before. Everything is harder but being trim is still possible!!

Well, I'm not 50 - not quite even 40 yet - but I have some of the same issues. I think that over the years I've done too much high impact on very hard, unforgiving surfaces, so my joints and ligaments are showing the wear early. So I have to lighten up a bit, mostly in cardio, but also on a few weight exercises.

Since I'm being forced to slow down, I'm sure interested to see the responses here about weight training. I can still lift heavy on most exercises, but for how long?

Cheryl, I also no longer like candy, and drink a lot more water. I've always had a problem with my mid-section, but haven't noticed it get any worse over time. If anything, it's better now because I don't have the voracious appetite I had when I was younger. I remember sitting down and eating entire boxes of Total with a quart of milk, or eating half a jar of peanut butter with a spoon in my twenties or thirties. Now that stuff just sounds yucky to me. I love my fruits and veggies and lean meats and fish. Maybe I've also retrained my palate to some degree over the years. Then again, a thicker middle may yet be in my future. Only time will tell.

Shannon,
If it helps any, I've been power walking for cardio for at least 30 years, and have never had any kind of injury. Of course, it works best indoors on a treadmill with high inclines. Walking outside won't keep you in condition because it becomes too easy after you've been doing it for a while and the body needs new challenges. I know you're an outdoors girl, but if you're looking for something new, the treadmill has been very good to me. And walking is such a natural motion, even you would find it difficult to injure yourself. ;)

Hi Nancy! I have definitely seen a decrease in my strength training due to a loss of progesterone. Its become harder for me to lift up those heavy dumbells & barbell. I also have much more soreness in my joints not to mention an increase in appetite when doing heavy strength training. I need much more stretching than I ever did before. I just purchased Classical Stretch Total Body Volume II to help me w/this. I still do my heavy weight training despite the discomfort. Right now I'm doing Cathe's one body part per day & boy have I got DOMS. I mix it up going from heavy lifting to endurance. As far as eating is concerned, I found that BFFM has been instrumental in taking away that sweet tooth I always had. I'm eating more & getting leaner.

I'm curious as to what Cathe's answer is too to this. Great question. Take care, Kathy:D

Nancy - I've tried power walking outside in the past and 1) you're right, it isn't enough of a challenge and 2) I really don't like it. I do have an elliptical trainer which has been great for low impact work - until I tried a different foot position and messed up my knee. Sigh. But I have a HUGE problem with staying in one place! LOL. I guess I'd better get used to it. I just love to move all over the room with a step routine.

> ... Right now I'm >doing Cathe's one body part per day & boy have I got DOMS. I >mix it up going from heavy lifting to endurance.
>I'm curious as to what Cathe's answer is too to this. Great
>question. Take care, Kathy:D
Kathy -- What kind of a daily schedule are you following for the one-body part a day workout? I was doing two parts a day but think I am going to switch -- just don't know the best sequence to use. And time-wise, how much time do you devote to each part? Also, how often do you do an endurance workout? Thanks for your answer, since it doesn't look like Cathe is going to chime in.

> ... Right now I'm >doing Cathe's one body part per day & boy have I got DOMS. I >mix it up going from heavy lifting to endurance.
>I'm curious as to what Cathe's answer is too to this. Great
>question. Take care, Kathy:D
Kathy -- What kind of a daily schedule are you following for the one-body part a day workout? I was doing two parts a day but think I am going to switch -- just don't know the best sequence to use. And time-wise, how much time do you devote to each part? Also, how often do you do an endurance workout? Thanks for your answer, since it doesn't look like Cathe is going to chime in.

Hi Normandy! I'm following Cathe's rotation but it doesn't follow any of her dvds. She took 6 exercises per body part doing 3 sets/12 reps. I usually follow each weight training session (which varies anywhere from 30-40 min.) with cardio. For instance yesterday I did shoulders/Butts & Guts abs/kickboxing + some hi-lo/Stretch Max (no equipment). I try to do at least 30-40 min. of cardio but not everyday. I'll do cardio 4x a week. I'll stick w/this rotation for 2 weeks & then switch over to endurance which looks like this:

Sat: Muscle Max
Sun: IMAX 2
Mon: Push Pull or Power Hour
Tues: kickboxing
Wed: Supersets or Muscle Endurance
Thurs: yoga or stretch

I'll only stay on an endurance for 1-2 weeks or if you want, you can switch over to a circuit week if your short on time.

Starting Saturday I'll be switching it up again & doing strictly superset weight training.

HTH, Kathy:D

Hi Normandy! I'm following Cathe's rotation but it doesn't follow any of her dvds. She took 6 exercises per body part doing 3 sets/12 reps. I usually follow each weight training session (which varies anywhere from 30-40 min.) with cardio. For instance yesterday I did shoulders/Butts & Guts abs/kickboxing + some hi-lo/Stretch Max (no equipment). I try to do at least 30-40 min. of cardio but not everyday. I'll do cardio 4x a week. I'll stick w/this rotation for 2 weeks & then switch over to endurance which looks like this:

Sat: Muscle Max
Sun: IMAX 2
Mon: Push Pull or Power Hour
Tues: kickboxing
Wed: Supersets or Muscle Endurance
Thurs: yoga or stretch

I'll only stay on an endurance for 1-2 weeks or if you want, you can switch over to a circuit week if your short on time.

Starting Saturday I'll be switching it up again & doing strictly superset weight training.

HTH, Kathy:D

Hi Lora! If you don't mind me suggesting to you BFFM by Tom Venuto. You can purchase his e-book for $40. Its worth every penny! He's been instrumental in taking away my sweet tooth & getting me leaner. I was never eating enough. Take a look at his website burnthefat.com. Just a suggestion. Take care, Kathy:D

Hi Lora! If you don't mind me suggesting to you BFFM by Tom Venuto. You can purchase his e-book for $40. Its worth every penny! He's been instrumental in taking away my sweet tooth & getting me leaner. I was never eating enough. Take a look at his website burnthefat.com. Just a suggestion. Take care, Kathy:D

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.