Achillies Tendonitis?

susanz

Cathlete
Hi Cathe! Hope all is well with you and yours.
I have been experiencing what I believe to be achillies tendonitis in my left ankle. I had this last year when I was running a lot.I thought it was gone but recently it crept back up on me. What is the best way to get rid of it aside from stop exercising? I do your cardio and strength videos plus my Nordic Track and running when weather permits. Does stretching the area help at all?
Thank you for any advice you can offer- Susan

Hi Susan! I have chronic achilles tendonitis. So I am prone to flare ups if I am not very careful.

The best immediate treatment for it is:

Ice your achilles 3 times per day (about 20 minutes a session), then let it thaw a bit and stretch it out (calf stretch) holding your stretches for a minute to two minutes, followed by an anti-inflammatory (such as ibprofin)with each ice period. Do this for one week straight. Also, work on strengthening your shins and calves in equal proportions as to not develop any imbalances.

If it continues to aggrivate you, then continue the above again for another week, but during this week, do not do ANY activities which aggrivate your achilles (not even the slightest bit). This will take a bit of homework to find out what you can do but it is very important. Perhaps do only the upper body toning and ab work of Body Max and only the grounded non-impact kicks of cardio kicks. Pretty much any move which has you pushing off (like stepping), jumping, or walking with quick directional changes or shifts in your body weight will aggrivate your achilles, so stay away from them.

After a week off, come back very slowly, stopping any activity and/or cooling down just as soon as you feel any discomfort in your achilles.

Good Luck and keep ice-ing!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.