Abdominal strengthening with a bad back?

intensitylisa

Cathlete
Hi Cathe or anyone! My husband has been off work on workman's compensation for the past 4 years because of deteriorating discs due to constant/repetitive lifting. Since he has been off work he has gained 50 lbs, most of it in the abdominal area. Since January he started to watch what he eats and lost 20 lbs. What strengthening, toning exercises can he do for his abdominals with his bad back? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated:)

Hi Intensitylisa! I am so sorry to hear of your husbands back but how wonderful that he has lost 20 pounds. This will help to take additional stress off of his back. As for exercise recommendations, he really should check with his doctor to see what exercises are permitted. Some exercises could aggrivate the condition depending on exactly where the problem lies in his spine. I'm sorry I couldn't be of more help to you. Please extend my best wishes to your husband for a heathy and active recovery.

I would like to pipe in here and say this: weak abs can exaserbate a back problem so that, ultimately, strengthening ab muscles helps the back to be less vulnerable. In your husband's case, he must be very careful not to make things worse. With his doctor's ok, perhaps he could see a PT or a personal instructor for help? Good luck!
Chicks's Rule! http://www.handykult.de/plaudersmilies.de/chicken.gif Bobbi

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.