30 pounds overweight

lakelady56

Cathlete
Cathe,
This is kind of a strange question, but I'll ask anyway. If I am 30 pounds overweight, shouldn't I count the extra body weight when I select weights for lower body work? It seems to me that the effect should be the same as wearing a 30-pound weighted vest. In the same vein, as I lose weight, I should increase my lifting weights to account for the loss in body weight. How does all this work together?

Thanks for your time!

Not Cathe, but I am counting my extra 35 pounds as *weight* especially when doing lower body! I plan to add dumbbells/barbell,etc. as my weight comes off.

Interesting question.
I have never taken into account my current weight.
I can't wait to see the answers to this.

Cathe,
This is kind of a strange question, but I'll ask anyway. If I am 30 pounds overweight, shouldn't I count the extra body weight when I select weights for lower body work? It seems to me that the effect should be the same as wearing a 30-pound weighted vest. In the same vein, as I lose weight, I should increase my lifting weights to account for the loss in body weight. How does all this work together?

Thanks for your time!

Not Cathe here but heres my thoughts in non scientific terms;)

When we lift weights - the reason for recording the poundage of the actual weight is to gain muscle strength & bone strength- your body weight has nothing to do with that. A 100# person may be able to lift heavier weights than a 200# person if they have stronger muscles...One doesnt necessarily have anything to do w/ the other.

Also- being 30#s overweight doesnt mean that the entire 30#s is all in your leg muscles which is what it sounds like you are talking about in your post. The 30#s you are overweight is distributed throughout your body.

I've never heard of taking your bodyweight into consideration regarding your lifting...What may come into play is the amount of weight you can lift for your lower body based on knee/joint stress.

HTH some.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.