"Clicking" triceps

Ltljen101

Hi Cathe -
I have been having this problem for a long time and thought I would finally ask. My elbows "click" a lot when I am doing tricep work - mainly overhead extensions, especially lying down. They even click when I use the tricep dip machine at the gym (but oddly enough not on the high step). Is my form off? I really don't think it's a matter of too heavy weights - no matter how light or heavy, this happens. And sometimes the clicking is painful.

Thanks
Jen

RE:

Bumping this to the top....I get the same thing quite often, its not painful so much as weird and uncomfortable and it scares me more than anything. It happens a lot when I do push ups too.

Skye

RE:

I have the same probelm with my knees; my doctor says it is loose cartilage. If it becomes painful it can be cut away arthroscopically. At times, my knees swell up and the pain increases but I use Aleve and that helps. I also use a knee brace every time I exercise, that helps to keep the joint straight and, over time, has resulted in less pain and fewer instances of problems. I have had this for a long time and, at some point, will probably have to have some type of procedure to correct it. But, until then, the brace keeps me going! :)

RE:

My elbows (usually right) will sometimes click when doing bench presses and tricep work. It feels uncomfortable for a while, then there's a bigger click, and it's like something went back in place, where it was supposed to be in the first place, and there is no more discomfort. I figured it was something to do with tendons being in the wrong "track".

RE:

I have this clicking problem in my hip joints while I'm doing the bicycle manuver during ab workouts. I cant extend my legs out too far or else the clicking becomes uncomfortable. I always feel like I'm not getting a good lower abdominal workout due to less range of motion during this exercise.

RE:

I got ME in a used book store. In ME you do pec work lying on the floor. This "clicking" happens in my left shoulder but it only tickles, it doesn't hurt. I just make sure I stretch and basically ignore it. After the first 5 or 6 clicks it stops.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.