The "Bra Overhang"

JTreddin

Cathlete
Hi Cathe,

This may sound like a silly question, but what is the best way to get rid of the flap of skin underneath/between your arm and the side of the chest, sometimes known as the "bra overhang"? I'm in good shape, and my arms are thin, but when I wear tanktops, that area pops out and practically waves to everyone! I've tried flies, chest presses...I just can't get rid of it! Is there a specific exercise that targets this area? (Please don't say push ups!!!)

Thanks for your help,

Jill

RE: The

Hi Jill,

I can't offer advice with specific exercises, but, if it helps, know that almost all women hang on to this flab, even if they are very thin. My brother's fiancee worked in the lingerie department at Nordstrom for about six years, and she told me that even very thin, muscular women have this flab. (She even has it and only weights about 110 pounds at 5' 6"!)

What she recommended was a good bra that holds in this area. The Le Mystere Tisha T-Shirt bra (which is also called "the Oprah bra" since it's Oprah's favorite) was her top recommendation. It's not the most attractive bra, but it really does hold in the "bra overhang" area, even when I'm wearing tighter tops.

Hopefully others can offer more advice about specific exercises . . . .

Good luck!
LeanneM

Thanks Leanne! I'll check it out. I also learned about Spanks from Oprah! Have you heard of them? They are the most amazing body shapers ever created!

Thanks again for your help.

Oh, yes! I love Spanx! Have you seen their bra? I tried it since it is also supposed to get rid of bra bulge, but it's so constricting that I had a hard time putting it on -- and both times I tried wearing it, I ended up pulling a muscle getting it over my head! (It doesn't have hooks on the back.) It also doesn't provide coverage in the cups, so it ends up with some show-through, which I don't like.

Good luck!
LeanneM

RE: Bra Ideas

Thanks, Leanne!

I have been searching for new bras. I have several of the Body by Victoria Full Coverage - unlined bras and love them. I am a 36c...sometimes 34c if I have been "good" and I really feel like my droopie, saggie boobies need help 24 hrs/day. I even wear a bra to bed, many women think I am crazy. But, I just cannot stand to feel my boobs trying to make communication with my belly button!:eek: :eek: Plus, boob sweat is sooo unattractive!!! x( x(

If you might have any other suggestions, I would love to hear them...I LOVE underwires! :*

xoxo, Denise :7

Hi Denise,

I know -- isn't the quest for a good bra so aggravating?? I've tried Victoria's Secret bras in the past, but they never hold up very well for me at all with weekly washing. One of my other pet peeves is that many of VS's bras don't have an lined edge at the cup of the bra, so they end up showing through thin fabric, even when they are supposed to be T-shirt bras that shouldn't show through. Of course, they are so much sexier than good old practical bras! What's a girl to do??!

I love the Le Mystere Tisha T-shirt bra and also have a few of Le Mystere's other bras, but my all-time favorite bras are underwire bras by Chantelle. (I need the underwire, too, or I'm WAY too saggy!) I wear a 32D so have a hard time finding my size in many brands, but the Chantelles come in a wide range of sizes. They are pretty expensive, but they really last for about two years if you wash them once a week in a lingerie bag and lay them out to dry. I try to get mine on sale, when they are a lot less money -- and Nordstrom, Figleaves, and Bare Necessities often have them marked down. Each style fits a little bit differently, though, so you may need to try them on to see which style fits your body shape best.

My brother's fiancee also loves Wacoal bras, but I haven't tried them yet since they don't make many styles in my size. Wacoals are also a little more expensive, but she said that they also hold up really well.

My brother's fiancee also has given me more good advice about bras over the last few years. First, always wear them first on the largest hooks; as they stretch out, move to the tighter hooks. Also, don't wear the same bra more than one day in a row. Good bras end up with some memory, and they need time to "re-adjust." She also recommends using a lingerie wash called Forever New. For years, I used Woolite to wash my bras, but I guess Woolite has petroleum in it, which breaks down the elastic in bras and panties.

Let us know if you have any other good suggestions!!
Leanne

Hello, Leanne!

Thank you so much for all that wonderful advice!!! It really can be a quest to find the perfect fitting bra.

The advice on washing is something I really needed to hear. I seriously don't take good care of my bras. All of my bras currently are awful, all have fuzzies, all are stretched out, some of the elastics are actually fraying out.

I will check out all those brands you mentioned and work on my lingerie section this week!

Many thanks again!!!
xoxo, Denise :)

Anyone have a good suggestion for a strapless bra? I just bought an evening gown with spaghetti straps today and need to look for a good supportive bra to go with it--I'm a 36D so I like it very supportive.

I've been thinking about trying Spanx and seeing what they have like that--heard so much about it lately.

[font face="palatino linotype" font color=purple font size=+1]***Lainie***

http://web.mac.com/lainiefig/iWeb/Site/Exercise/Exercise.html

"The worst loneliness is to not be comfortable with yourself." -- Mark Twain[/font]

Hi Jill,

The best exercise that helped me were pullups/chinups. You could also try lat pulldowns at the gym or underhand grip rows.

Marcy

Hi Denise -- Hope that the advice helps! Once I started buying more expensive bras, I realized that I really needed to start taking better care of them! It really does make a difference in how long they last!

Hi Lainie -- For strapless bras, just make sure that it has a plastic inner strip that runs along the edge of the bra (esp. around the band). The plastic strip will warm up because of your body temperature and help the bra conform to your body and stay up better. Because of your size, you might find that the Spanx aren't supportive enough for you.

I hadn't realized until now just how much I've learned about bra buying the last few years! It helps to know someone who's in the know, I guess!

Leanne

>Hi Jill,
>
>The best exercise that helped me were pullups/chinups. You
>could also try lat pulldowns at the gym or underhand grip
>rows.
>
>Marcy

Thanks Marcy..I haven't tried the chinups yet so I'll start putting that into my routine.

Hi Lainie,
You might want to try Victoria's Secret's Very Sexy Strapless bra. It has two plastic inner strips and holds up pretty well. I'm a 32d so I need the support and I'm able to wear it with my strapless dresses. It also comes w/ clear straps.
KC

Go to a store like Nordstroms or a small private special store and get measured. I found out I was wearing the wrong bra. I rather have an "expensive" bra that fits me that many bras that do not. It made so much difference. It could change your life...and your appearance.

Rhonda

Like Rhonda said, it's important to get fit at a store that carries a full range of sizes. When I've been to Victoria's Secret, they don't actually carry my size, so they always try to tell me to purchase my "sister size," which does not offer nearly enough support for me since it means I have to go to a larger band size. It does make such a huge difference in your appearance and how you feel overall!

LeanneM

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.