TV Playback Stutters with Video iPod Classic

JennyBear

Cathlete
When I play back the downloads on the TV the playback stutters, with the pauses so long that the workouts are unusable. Has anyone else experienced this problem? I have played back full length movies on the TV with no problem in the past.

Have tried all the TVs in our house as well as other family members, it's not a problem with the TV.

Video iPod Classic 60gb, Software version 1.3
iTunes 9.0.3 (15)

I just purchased a Jillian Michaels video from Itunes and it plays fine on my iPod. As do all other videos that I have downloaded or purchased other than the Cathe videos. If anyone else is having this problem please post.

Thanks

iPod Classic

An iPod classic can stutter when the hard drive gets near capacity or if it becomes fragmented. Two things you can try.

First - Hold down the menu button and the select button (centre button) simultaneously for up to 10 seconds, until the apple symbol appears. Release said buttons and the IPod will restart. This will reboot your iPod Classic and in many cases will solve a stutter problem.

Second - If the above doesn't work. I would suggest deleting everything from your iPod (make sure you have copies in iTunes). Then add one Cathe download back to your iPod Classic and test to see if the stuttering problem goes away. If it does continue to sync more workouts to your iPod, but don't fill up your hard drive. I've seen this problem on an iPod Classic before and this solved the issue.

Jenny,
Now that you mention it, I think my Cathe downloads are the only ones that stutter. I have an ipod classic but it is nowhere near full. I will have to check my other videos but I don't think that they do it.

Deb

My videos are doing the same thing. I have a 80 gig ipod that is less than half full. I did reboot it and it did not help. Any other suggestions?

Annie

iPod Classic

The next step is to delete everything on your iPod classic (make sure you still have copies in iTunes) and then reinstall your files. I would suggest syncing just one workout and testing to see if the stutter problem disappears and then adding the other workouts if successful.

Here is why you're seeing a problem. A first generation iPod (iPod Classic) uses a hard drive while the more modern iPod Touch is all Solid State. Just as in a computer your hard drive becomes fragmented with time and use. This slows down the processors ability to read the hard drive and sometimes causes stuttering. All of our files are encoded within the required specs for even first generation iPods, but our files are encoded at a higher quality than most other downloads. If your hard drive becomes too fragmented stuttering can occur on iPod classics. Let us know if this helps.

5th generation still uses the same hard drive, but the hard drive is bigger. The steps for solving a stutter issue are the same for all iPod Classics.

I have already tried all the documented troubleshooting including completely re-formatting / re-setting the ipod.
The iPod is not full. I tested with a single Cathe video.

The problem is with the files themselves as no other video I have purchased or downloaded in the past or recently has this problem.

There seem to be particular files that are worse than others. The 3 Stretch Max videos for example are quite bad.

I tried the "Create iPod Version" in the advanced menu again and it seems to have fixed the file. The converted file size is smaller than the original so it did change it in some fashion. Hope it does not lose information or quality.

I will have to run through a few full workouts to be sure and post back.

Note that it takes a long time on my setup for these files to convert so not a fan of that option. Although it will probably be better than downloading them again but I would like to see this fixed for future downloads.

We are troubleshooting the issues that you are having with the iPod Classic, but need a little more information in order to recreate what may be going on. Could you please let us know which iPod you own. From your description, it sounds like it is not the Classic, but the 5G iPod Video with a 60GB hard drive (I can't find any reference to that capacity being available in any generation but the 5G...please let me know if I am incorrect). The easiest way to tell is that the 5G has a glossy black or white, sharp angled front panel with matte controls, while the Classic (6G) has a matte black or silver metal, rounded front panel with glossy controls. Having this information will help us because the two devices use very different operating systems.

Please let us know any more information you may uncover from your own testing. Thanks!

Last edited:
Playback Problem

I did purchase a 160 gig iPod Classic tonight from Best Buy to see if I could duplicate your problem. I then downloaded Stretch Max workout #1 and Athletic Step and both files played without any stuttering or issues. I know you said Stretch Max was stuttering badly on your iPod, but played just fine on the iPod Classic I purchased tonight.

I see from some of your other posts that you're having problems with all 40 of your downloads. We've sold digital files like Stretch Max for over 6 months with very little reports of any problems with playback. If something was wrong with the files we would have had thousands of reported problems by now, so something else has to be causing your issue besides a bad file.

I also see that you say you're using Video iPod Classic 60gb, Software version 1.3 and iTunes 9.0.3 (15). From this information it doesn't seem you're using an iPod Classic. We could not find any reference to Apple ever releasing a 60 Gig iPod Classic. I think Apple has made an 80 gig iPod Classic, but not a 60 gig model. Also, you are using software version 1.3 and this is used by the iPod 5G, not the classic. The current software version of the iPod Classic is 2.0.4. If you could please check this it will be helpful to us in trying to duplicate your issue as the 5G and the Classic use two different operating systems. Curtis is our expert on iPods and he will be back to work on Monday and will try to help you, but it will be important for him to know which iPod you have.

Lastly, I would suggest updating iTunes from iTunes 9.0.3 (15) to the latest version. This is simple to do and if nothing else will eliminate one other possibility of the problem you're having.

Jenny, thanks for the insturctions to "Create ipod verison" I will give that a try.

My ipod is the 5th gen (which is video) 30 gig hard drive. Software version 1.3 itunes 9.0.2.25

Last edited:
You can certainly convert a video, but when you do you will lose all chapter information and video quality will decrease.

One more thing that we have uncovered that could be affecting things with the stuttering. You mentioned earlier in this thread that the stuttering happens when you attempt to watch the videos on your TV. I'd like to confirm, does the problem also happen on the actual iPod screen when not connected to a TV? If the problem does not happen on the iPod screen, it opens up a whole new area for investigation...the black art of iPod cables! Please let us know and we can go from there.

JennyBear, your iPod is one of the models that we have tested with. We have tried the downloads that you mentioned and have not been able to re-create your problem on ours and the files play perfectly fine. Through our investigation and testing of your issue of stuttering on your iPod Video 60GB, we have come across a lot of information pertaining to Apple's ongoing problems with stuttering of both video and audio on this and other model iPods (please Google search "ipod 5G video stutter" to see the plethora of blogs/forums/discussions dedicated to the issue). Everything from fragmented hard drives, to certain versions and combinations of iPod system and iTunes, to defective iPods come up as possible causes, so this is not an easy issue to discern nor one for which Apple has an easy solution.

To let you know, we have tested our workouts extensively on the following models and have optimized our video settings and encoding to work on all models, (including being within Apple's published specifications for all of its video-capable iPods/iPads/iPhones as of the date that they were encoded):

• iPod Touch: 1G, 3G
  • iPhone: 1G, 3G, 3GS
  • iPod Video: 5G 60GB, 5G 80GB
  • iPod Classic 6G (just recently tested)
  • iPad 1G WiFi (just recently tested)
  • Apple TV
  • Sony Playstation: Original PSP, PSP-3000
  • Archos 3 30GB
  • TiVo HD (after uploading to TiVo through the Mac software)
  • Zune: 30GB (with downsampling to 320x240 required by device), HD 32GB (at full resolution)
  • Apple MacBook Pro 17" using Mac OS X 10.5 & 10.6, Windows Vista and 7, using Quicktime 7, 10, and iTunes
  • Apple Powerbook G4 12" using Mac OS X 10.4, using Quicktime 7 and iTunes
  • Apple G5 Desktop using Mac OS 10.5, using Quicktime 7 and iTunes
  • Apple 24" iMac DualCore using Mac OS X 10.5 & 10.6, using Quicktime 7, 10 and iTunes
  • Older and Current Dell Desktop and Laptop Computers using Windows XP and Vista, using Zune, Windows Media Player, Quicktime 7, and iTunes
  • Samsung Tablet Computers using Windows XP, Vista, and 7, using Zune, Windows Media Player, Quicktime 7, and iTunes

As you can see, we take a great deal of time and testing to make sure that our files play fine for everyone, and would like to get to the root of your problem. Some of this may be repetitive, but we'd like to go through a trouble shooting process with you to determine where things are having problems. Please use this as a checklist and to let us know what you have done and what can still be tried:

• Update iTunes to the newest version 9.11
  • Verify that the iPod is running the latest firmware, 1.3
  • Check to see if the video stutters just when viewing externally on a TV, or on the iPod screen itself
  • Let us know the brand and model of cable you are using to connect to your television
  • Verify that your video file plays fine on the computer via iTunes/Zune/Quicktime/Windows Media Player (whichever is applicable for you)
  • Let us know if you hear a lot of disc "clicking" as the video plays (it will be an audible tapping sound emanating from the iPod case). It is normal to hear this every once in a while, but if it happens every couple seconds is what we are interested in knowing.
  • Verify that you have reset the iPod by turning it off and then back on.

As an interim solution, I would recommend using the "Convert for iPod" function that you have been using. However, make sure that you do not delete your original files as the iPod versions will be of reduced quality and will not contain chapter points. It is not the most elegant or convenient solution, but at least it will enable you to continue using the videos for now.

we have optimized our video settings and encoding to work on all models

I believe these are the specs for my ipod. http://support.apple.com/kb/sp41

I have been experimenting with creating my own videos. The first thing I did was to encode STS Disc 1 using Handbrake. I used the presets for the iPhone/iPod Touch and selected iPod 5G support. These files work both on my iPod and iPhone out to the TV. The quality is good and chapter points are intact.

I did the same for the Stretch Max and works great now.

I do notice some differences in the files after I encoded them. The total bit rate for example is much higher on the originals.

All other videos that I have purchased from ITunes and downloaded from other sites playback fine. So I have no problem with my iPod, iPhone, TV, or Cable, at least in general.

The problem is specifically with the Cathe downloads on my iPod when playing on a TV.

Update iTunes to the newest version 9.11
done

Verify that the iPod is running the latest firmware, 1.3
It is.

Let us know the brand and model of cable you are using to connect to your television
I have tried Apple Component AV Cable and the Logic3 AV Video Cable for iPod. Both cables work fine with my iPod and TV in general.

Check to see if the video stutters just when viewing externally on a TV, or on the iPod screen itself

It's just on TV playback and only Cathe downloads.
The new STS Cardio have short pauses. but some of the other files have long (10 second pauses). I tried several TVs old and new, HD and non-HD, there is no difference.

Verify that your video file plays fine on the computer via iTunes/Zune/Quicktime/Windows Media Player (whichever is applicable for you)
They play fine in ITunes.

Let us know if you hear a lot of disc "clicking"
no clicking

Verify that you have reset the iPod by turning it off and then back on.
I have reset and reformatted a couple of times now

Thanks for your help

JennyBear,

We have been able to reproduce the problem you have been having on your iPod 5G 60GB with stuttering. Thank you for all your input to our questions; it helped us to find out what was happening. The problem only affects the iPod 5G Video models, and with the legacy pieces of hardware it is always a little more difficult to understand just what is happening, especially since most of the software, encoders, etc., are built mostly with the most current hardware in mind, so we appreciate your patience.

We have already uploaded "tweaked" versions of the three Stretch Max workouts, Athletic Step, and Travel Fit that address the issues associated with the 5G, and you should find that they no longer stutter. We have tested them on 2 different 5G units here and they are working perfectly. We will continue uploading the "tweaked" videos over the next few days.

Please note, though, for anyone that does not have an iPod 5G Video, there is no need to re-download the files. They have no differences from the previous versions unless you are playing them on that particular iPod.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.