Playing downloads on Roku

LastTango

Cathlete
I am looking at buying the new series as a digital download. I have several Apple devices I can use to play them on my tv, but I'm looking at storing them on an external hard drive and using a media player to play them. I dont want to keep them on my iPhone or iPad all the time, and I don't want to have to use iTunes if I dont want to. I have been looking at getting a Roku for some time; I like its potential for future use and functional expansion instead of the Apple TV. The newest Roku will let you plug in an external hard drive and play your own media. Has anyone tried Cathe downloads on this device?

Ok, so now I'm looking at the WD Tv Live since it plays more video formats. Anyone know what the format for the downloads is? I saw somewhere that it was h.264, but is it Pi10? There is one format that the WD player has problems playing.

Roku

I can't answer your second question, but your first got me quite curious so I had to check it out. Yes, you can play the Cathe downloads on your Roku via USB! I copied Athletic Step (picked at random) onto the drive and plugged it into the Roku. It was seen immediately on the menu and played just fine (spot checked -- did not play entire workout).

roku

I am playing with our Roku, that we just got last night. I usually play downloads on my iPod classic, hooked to the TV. I put my videos on a flash drive, and they were easy to play.

I didn't find where I was able to skip to the chapter points with the Roku (which is a 2 XS model), though. Which I do often when using the iPod or my computer, as I try to fit a workout in during nap time. :) But I will keep playing and trying.

It will be nice to have the videos readily available to play when my ipod battery is charging. :)

Have a great weekend!
Nikki

Hello LastTango,

The specs of our videos are as follows:

Video: H.264, 2000KBps max, 29.97fps, 720x400 (710x400 actual)
Audio: AAC 44.1 kHz Stereo
Wrapper: m4v (which allows for chaptering compatibility with Apple products...BTW Apple/QuickTime-based products are the only that support chaptering of H.264 video that we know of)

Hope this helps.

Last edited:

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.