Xtrain Question on Clam Shell Exercise

Boingo1

Cathlete
Hi Cathe!

I can't even say how much I am in love with Xtrain so far!! Thank you!!

My question is , I did the Clam Shell exercise on Legs today. I have the biggest issue with exercises where I'm using my arm/shoulder for support. I end up getting too much discomfort in my shoulder. (Which I'm sure means I'm holding the position wrong). The question is, is there a good substitute for this move that I could do and work the same area? Or a modification?

Thanks,
Chris

Yes: do this lying down on your side, head resting on that arm. Get your firewalker band and put it around your thigh, close-ish to the knee. Bend your knees, 90 degree angle, as Cathe does, and have them stacked one on top of another. Then, keeping the bottom leg on the floor, in fixed position, only lift the top knee and thigh away from the bottom knee and thigh, lifting as high as you can each time, but keep the feet, both feet, completely together. So, all you are doing really is moving the knee up and down.

You will feel this immediately in the outer thigh and gluteus minimus and medius, so it is an excellent exercise as those glute muscles are often neglected (by standing barbell leg routines).

Here's a tutorial, except note that they are not using a band! In physiotherapy, my therapist had me use the band around the thigh, as Cathe does in the workout.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JKYp-XMU9Ks

Let me know if this works for you, and have fun!!!! (it burns good!)

Clare

You could even do the outer thigh like she does in Gym Style legs with the long band or use the firewalker loop like in Lean Legs & Abs. There are lots of options, I always change is up because I don't like the clam. Sometimes I just put on my ankle weights and do traditional outer thigh lifts on the floor or you can lean on a stability ball. They main thing is just do what is comfortable for you and your anatomy. Best of luck.

Kim

Yes: do this lying down on your side, head resting on that arm. Get your firewalker band and put it around your thigh, close-ish to the knee. Bend your knees, 90 degree angle, as Cathe does, and have them stacked one on top of another. Then, keeping the bottom leg on the floor, in fixed position, only lift the top knee and thigh away from the bottom knee and thigh, lifting as high as you can each time, but keep the feet, both feet, completely together. So, all you are doing really is moving the knee up and down.

You will feel this immediately in the outer thigh and gluteus minimus and medius, so it is an excellent exercise as those glute muscles are often neglected (by standing barbell leg routines).

Here's a tutorial, except note that they are not using a band! In physiotherapy, my therapist had me use the band around the thigh, as Cathe does in the workout.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JKYp-XMU9Ks

Let me know if this works for you, and have fun!!!! (it burns good!)

Clare

Thanks for this. I find lifting my lower hip up makes it more difficult to target the intended muscle(s).

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.