X-Train Legs

elsie3

Cathlete
Ow!:eek: It seems the more I do this workout, the more it 'gets' me--I guess because I'm able to go 'deeplier' and get into the moves more. I can go really heavy on legs, but I've never 'felt' the moves like I do in this workout. I'm really liking the light or no-weight effectiveness.

I agree too. I love these newer leg workouts. I usually alternate with a heavier one then will do a lighter one. I like to work my legs twice a week so having these options is great.

And here I thought I was probably the only one choosing workouts without that barbell! It really hurts my neck even with a towel, barbell pad, etc. I find it's just as effective with two 15 or 20 pound dumbbells!

Susan :)

Don't get me wrong, I love my barbell workouts also. It just seems that all Cathe's leg workouts of the previous two decades were similar in their use of the barbell for standing leg work, with dumbbells for lunges, etc. I did these workouts assiduously, but they did not stop me from getting running injuries.

What's great about the newer leg workouts is that they are equally punishing (!), but with way less weight loads, so we are actually working different areas of the muscles, so if you combine the two types, say GS legs with Xtrain legs, you get the complete package! We are better protected against injury from this new emphasis on the large and the small muscles of the core and lower body. And it should also translate into greater endurance, greater power.....

Clare

Clare - I agree! I'm trying to do Xtrain - style legs at the moment. Once a week I do a high rep leg w/o (inc barre), and later in the week I do a CLB style workout. Every 2-3 weeks I throw in a heavy BB legs dvd. It seems to be suiting me.

I recently discovered Ballet Beautiful. The floorwork on the Total Body DVD will have you burning. I went ahead and bought two more of her releases, primarily for the floorwork. She reminds me of Lisa Watson (Strong Stride), although she gives one very short stretch break near the middle of each section. No equipment needed.

I've actually gotten better results from workouts like Lean Legs & Abs, Great Glutes, plyo legs, barre, etc. than I had with heavy weight training for my legs.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.