Those against a modifier in high impact workouts, what's the downside?

bouki45

There are currently two threads about the level of impact in the new workouts.

One of them is a poll. Most people think a modifier in each workout would be a good idea. But a few people voted they'd be turned off.

If Cathe provided high-impact workouts in which only one participant was doing low impact but everybody else was doing high impact, would that bother you?

Why or why not?

TIA. :)

There are currently two threads about the level of impact in the new workouts.

One of them is a poll. Most people think a modifier in each workout would be a good idea. But a few people voted they'd be turned off.

If Cathe provided high-impact workouts in which only one participant was doing low impact but everybody else was doing high impact, would that bother you?

Why or why not?

TIA. :)

Wouldn't bother me in the slightest. That said, not having a modifier won't affect my decision to purchase. I have done alot of research on modifications over the past couple of years I have done Cathe's workouts, so I'm used to figuring out what works for me when needed.

If Cathe decides a modifier in her workouts is the way to go, I'm all for it. If she decides to keep things as is, I'm still all for it.

I did not participate in the poll; however, I personally find modifiers in the few other-than-Cathe DVDs I have somewhat distracting, especially when the modifier is not at the back of the studio. They also diminish the unity of the "performance", if you will, and just the aesthetic of the whole production.

Those are minor quibbles on my part, I might add. I've always personally liked the fact that Cathe only very seldom employs modifiers (and almost never in her cardio productions), but, if Cathe does decide to employ a modifier for this production, just try to get me to part with INVOICE #66!!!! JUST, JUST TRY IT!!!!! I DARE YA!

A-Jock

I have to agree with AJock. I just like the overall look of everyone in unison, especially in cardio workouts.

Don't get me wrong, I still preordered and I wouldn't change my mind if Cathe decided to use modifiers.

Last edited:
It would not bother me in the least to have one crew member doing lower impact modifications. If STS Cardio does not have a modifier, that also would not bother me in the least. I create my own modifications whenever I don't want to, or don't feel like doing the higher impact moves.

I did not participate in the poll; however, I personally find modifiers in the few other-than-Cathe DVDs I have somewhat distracting, especially when the modifier is not at the back of the studio. They also diminish the unity of the "performance", if you will, and just the aesthetic of the whole production.

I've seen this mentioned before and I agree that when I see the Rockettes at Xmas, I don't want to see a modifier up there on stage doing low kicks in flats. :eek:

However, I don't view my workout dvds as performances, but as tools to keep me fit. Yeah, aesthetics matter to me in terms of set, music, choreography, but the health of my knees and hips matter more to me than visual uniformity. The modifier in the KCM workouts is excellent--high intensity, no impact. She's not distracting to those of us who need her.

Many of us Cathe fans NEED modifications. Some other Cathe fans WANT visual uniformity. I see it as 'need' vs. 'want'. It's great that your joints can take it, but based on the poll there seems to be a sizable majority of Cathe fans who lack those bionic joints :(. We love Cathe's intensity just as much as you and hope to keep working out w/ her for the next decade (or 2 or 3!) but we can't do that unless we modify.

C'mon, let us have a modifier in these. You lucky bionic types :p already have all 3 Imaxes, MIC, Drill Max, 4ds BC, original BC, etc, etc.

Maybe Cathe could put in a separate chapter for modifications like a tutorial; this way it wouldn't detract from the aesthetics of the workout or distract people.

Marcy

I would rather not have modifiers. One of the problems I see is that there are so many ways to modify a move, which one would she use? Low impact, no impact, turns, no turns??

For example Over-The-Top: No impact -walk across; moderate impact - hop across; higher impact - hitch kick across; Cathe impact - leap over the stinkin' top ;)

Some moves of course are just a matter of not jumping; other moves may not be able to be modified and a "modifier" would be doing something completely different and as others have said, that could be distracting.

Just my take; I bought STS without even reading the details. Shrek could be in the background modifying and I will still be tickled pink about this new release.

Debbie Russo

I've seen this mentioned before and I agree that when I see the Rockettes at Xmas, I don't want to see a modifier up there on stage doing low kicks in flats. :eek:

However, I don't view my workout dvds as performances, but as tools to keep me fit. Yeah, aesthetics matter to me in terms of set, music, choreography, but the health of my knees and hips matter more to me than visual uniformity. The modifier in the KCM workouts is excellent--high intensity, no impact. She's not distracting to those of us who need her.

Many of us Cathe fans NEED modifications. Some other Cathe fans WANT visual uniformity. I see it as 'need' vs. 'want'. It's great that your joints can take it, but based on the poll there seems to be a sizable majority of Cathe fans who lack those bionic joints :(. We love Cathe's intensity just as much as you and hope to keep working out w/ her for the next decade (or 2 or 3!) but we can't do that unless we modify.

C'mon, let us have a modifier in these. You lucky bionic types :p already have all 3 Imaxes, MIC, Drill Max, 4ds BC, original BC, etc, etc.

I agree with you. Sometimes I can't think of a good modification on my own. I am just one who isn't good at that. Some people are I am just not.

Modifiers??????
Heck, I get furious even when I see Brenda slacking up behind, and you are talking of modifiers??
No!
Definitely no!

I can go either way on a modifier but perhaps Cathe showing briefly a modification (like she did in 4DS Kickbox on the jumping jack, etc.) would be helpful OR having a brief modification section as a separate chapter just to show some ideas that could be used. Then you wouldn't have the 'visual uniformity' issue that was mentioned previously.

I have to admit that I workout at 4:30 a.m. (sometimes at 4:15 if time is tight) and thinking up modifications is a bit difficult that early.

Oh, one more thing: Have you ever thought why Cathe does Kick Box only with Jai and Lorraine?
That would explain the modifiers question!
Krasy

Oh, one more thing: Have you ever thought why Cathe does Kick Box only with Jai and Lorraine?
That would explain the modifiers question!
Krasy

Sorry. I'm not following. :)

Modifiers??????
Heck, I get furious even when I see Brenda slacking up behind, and you are talking of modifiers??
No!
Definitely no!

You obviously feel very strongly about this. Why would one person doing something slightly differently make you so unhappy? The rest of the class, including Cathe, would be working out as hard as you are.

So ... how about this? What if there were an optional "picture in picture" box featuring one modifier.

The "pip" would appear in the upper or lower corner of the screen. Those who wanted to see modifications could turn it on. Those for whom modifying is obviously a mortal sin could skip it. ;)

I usually look at one person in the workout. I don't have a problem with most of Cathe's moves. I worry one day I will have to give my Cathe workouts away if I can't keep up with the high impact. It would be nice to have the choice. High or low so I can keep my workouts for many years to come.

I worry one day I will have to give my Cathe workouts away if I can't keep up with the high impact. It would be nice to have the choice. High or low so I can keep my workouts for many years to come.

That's a good point! You never know what will happen in the future.
I once was able to do all of Cathe's workouts without any modifications, but now due to an injury I can't. Before my injury I never imagined that I wouldn't be able to do the workouts as is, and it's so frustrating to me that I can't, but it is what it is. Cathe is my favorite instructor, and I would hate to think that I could never order anymore of her cardio workouts :(

I generally don't notice what the background excercisers are doing and only focus on Cathe. One thing I like about the Cindy Whitmarsh's Results w/o is she starts out with the low impact version then goes into the hi-impact version and says to stay in the low impact version if you want to. This might be an alternative to haveing a modifier.

Modifiers??????
No!
Definitely no!

Wow, what a post.

I can't say that I've EVER noticed this. Honestly, I wish I could be an Iron Woman triathlete like Brenda. She's as tough as they come! I admire her enormously for rebounding from a major hip fracture (incurred during an iron man triathalon) to film in STS weights.

Gin Miller successfully employed multiple modifications in her Intense Moves video - an oldie but a goodie....since it was an interval workout, she illustrated the options during the rest period. She also suggested you choose your option and focus on that person .... It worked for me and I don't think it detracted from the quality of the video at all.
I think everyone could use a modification at some times - injury, pregnancy, just getting back into a routine after absence, or just not able to perform some high impact moves anymore. If you are a purist, you just focus on Cathe.
Just my 2 cents.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.