Surprised when reading dvd reviews

firemedic

Cathlete
I was putting in some of my reviews for the new dvds and was so suprised to see that some have just slammed Cathe and these new workouts. I have enjoyed all of these so far. People are still complaining about the words in the songs, well then just pick the instrumental only. I hate it when you get a company (Cathe.com) who puts hard work into there workouts to give you what she believes is the best. They included these triple tracks, which I personally find unnecessary, but people still don't use them and just complain. I understand that you cannot please everyone, but I find some of these reviews mean. I'm glad Cathe isn't doing just "old Cathe" because I love having all the different workouts to choose from, light weight or heavy, high impact or low. What else could you possibly want. So from me Cathe, I just want to say a big thank you for the great new workouts and all the hard work that you and your staff have done for us over the years.

I was reading a thread on another fitness forum, questioning if Cathe's workouts are still advanced. My first thought was "who are you comparing her too"? My second thought was, until you do a workout 10 or more times, you won't be able to put 100% into the moves. I guess Cathe feels like family to me, so my hackles went up. If there's someone out there producing tougher workouts, it wouldn't be for me.

The fun factor of these new set of workouts is through the roof. They are going to pair so nicely with Xtrain and the Gym Styles. Cathe is a genius!

I was reading a thread on another fitness forum, questioning if Cathe's workouts are still advanced.

Seriously???? If someone is questioning whether Cathe's workouts are still advanced then that person isn't working hard enough. Cathe creates workouts geared for every type of exerciser, you have an option to make that workout whatever you want it to be. Bring up the weights to intensify a workout, or do a premix, or lighten the weights & go faster make it more cardiovascular, etc...whatever. All I know is that her new set is PERFECT! The choreography on both step workouts is genius , clever, fun, and they get the job done. The leg workouts are totally different, gets the heart rate up, but still targets front and back of the legs like she had designed them to do. Flextrain just doesn't stop...this one is perfect for all levels and hits every muscle! And X10 is sort of the same way...you can do a short 25 minutes workout or crank it up to 77 min...Cathe gives you options with these new workouts. I don't understand complaining about the music either. I am never focusing on lyrics while I am working out anyway, the beat is all I need to get me going and she gives you an option for instrumental.

I feel like people just like to complain....so annoying. As far as I am concerned, Cathe is just the best!!!

I am so glad that I'm not the only one thinking that these new workouts are great and people need to just stop complaining. One said that Cathe stopped being good at the STS series. Now, I don't have STS, but I do have just about everything before and everything after, and I'm in the best shape of my life with great cardio endurance and muscle strength. I only use Cathe cause she is the best.

I honestly avoid a certain fitness forum because I found there was a lot of unwarranted "Cathe-bashing" on it. I don't need such negativity in my day.

Cathe produces amazing workouts - from the quality of the production, the crew, the pre-mixes, added bonuses, triple tracks, music, variety of workouts - she and her staff go above and beyond consistently.

I find that Cathe's style has changed a little, but she still produces advanced workouts and frankly, I'm happy for the style changes. I don't want to have 200 IMAX workouts - I want that variety in workouts like CrossFire, Afterburn, Rockin' Party Step, Supercuts, Spinning etc.

Anyhoo, if Cathe reads this, or someone from SNM then I hope they know how much their work is appreciated and loved.

I am thoroughly enjoying the new videos and have reviewed each one after I've done it. I hope that it was not any of my reviews that came across as negative :). As a product of the 80s, the music is making me VERY happy!! You can really see that Cathe puts her heart and soul into her work. As I sit here, my glutes are screaming at me from yesterday's go-around with Great Glutes!!

I agree w/ all the comments here!!! I grow weary of all the music bashing. I'm interested in the workout and if the music is to my liking.....bonus!! If not....I don't really notice and certainly wouldn't complain or stop doing the w/o simply because of the music. I've worked out to many instructors (always at home) and I've found Cathe to be consistant, challenging and she grows w/ the current trends. She listens to her clients at her gym and probably notices what is written and commented on here in the forums. I, too, feel protective of Cathe as she is the one instructor who actually delivered on the promise of Leaner legs, cardiovascular endurance, strength gains etc. She's always ahead of the curve and I truelly believe that she makes every attempt to give us what we want. If I can't do a particular workout or find it not to my taste, I don't blame Cathe! You can't please everyone but she tries and in my opinion....she delivers! Hooray for Cathe!!!

I honestly avoid a certain fitness forum because I found there was a lot of unwarranted "Cathe-bashing" on it. I don't need such negativity in my day.

Cathe produces amazing workouts - from the quality of the production, the crew, the pre-mixes, added bonuses, triple tracks, music, variety of workouts - she and her staff go above and beyond consistently.

I find that Cathe's style has changed a little, but she still produces advanced workouts and frankly, I'm happy for the style changes. I don't want to have 200 IMAX workouts - I want that variety in workouts like CrossFire, Afterburn, Rockin' Party Step, Supercuts, Spinning etc.

Anyhoo, if Cathe reads this, or someone from SNM then I hope they know how much their work is appreciated and loved.

These reviews were not in a fitness forum. They are in the reviews of the acutal dvd when you go to buy it. I believe only 3 of the new dvds have 5 stars. I just hope that future buyers don't make a decision based on a few negative people and not get these workouts because they are so worth the money. In reguards to the music, I don't even listen to the words. I just listen to the beat of the music and Cathe. I don't have time to figure out if the words are correct or not, I'm too busy working out and working out hard.

These reviews were not in a fitness forum. They are in the reviews of the acutal dvd when you go to buy it. I believe only 3 of the new dvds have 5 stars. I just hope that future buyers don't make a decision based on a few negative people and not get these workouts because they are so worth the money. In reguards to the music, I don't even listen to the words. I just listen to the beat of the music and Cathe. I don't have time to figure out if the words are correct or not, I'm too busy working out and working out hard.

I have found that reviews are very inaccurate for me personally. At collage video all the ones that are "staff favorites" are usually what I would consider easier w/o (for me), the more advanced are given less stars. It says they are advanced but rarely are they staff favorites. People just don't like to work hard so they rate it lower, this forum is the exception and why most of us come here. I like cathe's variety, metabolic, step, wts etc.., if every w/o was an IMAX or something that challenging I probably wouldn't purchase them, you can only work your body so hard before an injury sets in. I have bought other w/o from other instructors based on reviews and am usually disappointed. Everybody is entitled to their opinions but for me cathe is the best and why at 50 I look great! Let the complainers complain, they have no idea what they are missing out on!!

I was reading a thread on another fitness forum, questioning if Cathe's workouts are still advanced.

I read this thread this morning and thought the same thing. Really? I am pretty tough and Cathe certainly kicks my butt! I love the new workouts and I love the music. Keep them coming Cathe!!!

People are still complaining about the words in the songs, well then just pick the instrumental only. I hate it when you get a company (Cathe.com) who puts hard work into there workouts to give you what she believes is the best. They included these triple tracks, which I personally find unnecessary, but people still don't use them and just complain. I understand that you cannot please everyone, but I find some of these reviews mean. I'm glad Cathe isn't doing just "old Cathe" because I love having all the different workouts to choose from, light weight or heavy, high impact or low. What else could you possibly want. So from me Cathe, I just want to say a big thank you for the great new workouts and all the hard work that you and your staff have done for us over the years.

I have just read new workouts review and noticed same user has reviewed three workout in less than a week of the release!:eek::eek::eek:

Honestly this can not be objective!!! This one , well I am also entitled to an opinion, is a nasty piece of human being:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: This person has not written any constructive comment whatsoever!!!

This human being can call me all sort of name (cathe junky, obsessed etc...), I wish she could show us what she has got to take any gruelling challenge. Cardio circuit core, TTM, Cross fire and X10 for a start! For goodness sake!

As to those who are winging about music, we (exerciser) are not supposed to dance the moves!!:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

I personally do not need to know lyrics at all neither do I need to recall them because that is not what I aim for while purchasing cathe's series.:D:D:D

---

I agree w/ all the comments here!!! I grow weary of all the music bashing. I'm interested in the workout and if the music is to my liking.....bonus!! If not....I don't really notice and certainly wouldn't complain or stop doing the w/o simply because of the music. I've worked out to many instructors (always at home) and I've found Cathe to be consistant, challenging and she grows w/ the current trends. She listens to her clients at her gym and probably notices what is written and commented on here in the forums. I, too, feel protective of Cathe as she is the one instructor who actually delivered on the promise of Leaner legs, cardiovascular endurance, strength gains etc. She's always ahead of the curve and I truelly believe that she makes every attempt to give us what we want. If I can't do a particular workout or find it not to my taste, I don't blame Cathe! You can't please everyone but she tries and in my opinion....she delivers! Hooray for Cathe!!!

Agreed! I personally don't care for the music in most fitness videos period! But then again I don't buy fitness dvds to listen to the music. I buy them because I'm looking for a good workout, and besides I'm usually working out so hard that the music just becomes background noise and I barely even notice it. I think that most who are really serious about working out can ignore the music if the workout is good enough. If you are going to deprive yourself out of a good workout because you don't care about the music, that means you probably lack motivation anyway and probably aren't very dedicated to getting into shape. Background music is way to trivial to determine whether or not I'm going to skip out on or get rid of a great fitness dvd.

Last edited:
I was intrigued, so I checked the reviews. Appears to be one person who wasn't pleased, primarily, and let's face it, you can't make everyone happy. The solution is to post your own reviews :D.

Unfortunately, I'm considered "essential" this week at work (at least today and tomorrow), so I likely will have to wait until the weekend to post my own rave reviews.

I think that most who are really serious about working out can ignore the music if the workout is good enough. If you are going to deprive yourself out of a good workout because you don't care about the music, that means you probably lack motivation anyway and probably aren't very dedicated to getting into shape. Background music is way to trivial to determine whether or not I'm going to skip out on or get rid of a great fitness dvd.

I'm not here to bash the thread or disagree with the general thoughts in it, not at all. I haven't even done any of the new workouts just yet and don't yet have the time, but I am thrilled to have them and will love most of them when I do get the chance. That's good enough for me.

I love the option of triple tracks: most fitness DVDs out there do not give me any choices for music at all and they still charge $19.99, and no premixes either! With the exception of Cathe and Kelly Coffey-Meyer, the premix queens. From all the clips I watched, I was sitting, rocking along with the soundtrack as a teen in the 80's and with teens now, it's perfect for me, I know most of the songs and I love it. It's completely energizing and that's exactly what I need.

However, I disagree most heartily with the statement above. Please don't make assumptions about people who need energizing music in order to get through workouts. Don't assume I'm lazier than you or take my workouts any less seriously than you do. Music matters to me far more than it does to you, that's the only difference between us. The choice of music does matter: it can make an otherwise good workout very unappealing and lessen my energy while I do it. Alternatively, fantastic music can power me through a workout even if it's tough and I'm exhausted: Low Max and Imax 2 are perfect examples of this.

I do choose workouts based on music because the main reason I workout is to beat stress since I have a tendency to get depressed. That's why one of my favourite things to do is powerwalk with my own soundtracks. Music is sometimes the only thing that can get me out of the slump. At those times, the fitness benefit is the icing on the cake.

Please don't generalize about the rest of us.

Meanwhile, I look forward to getting on top of my current work and family load so I can actually try out some of these workouts with their most excellent sound tracks: they are gonna rock.

Clare

Everyone is going to have likes and dislikes, so it shouldn't be surprising that some individuals are going to not like certain things about her workouts. I have done most of the new workouts and i love both the step workouts and X10.:D. I did not notice the music because I wasn't really paying attention...I was sweating too hard. I also did great glutes and lean legs. I did expect for these two to be done with heavier weights and with exercises just for the lower body. Lean legs had a lot of compound moves so I found it difficult to fully considerate on my lower body while I was working the upper body as well. So I just decided to use these two videos for cardio and use one of Cathe's heavier lower body workouts;). Its really not that big of a deal because I do expect that she will do different types of workouts from time to time. I think that the ones that are complaining are the ones that are use to her heavy weight workouts. I think that she hasn't released a heavy weight workout since 2010's total body StS. The low impact series had weight work but it was on a ball and so you couldn't really go heavy. I think that she will eventually release another series with heavy weight training that is what she is know for.:)......

I'm glad I found this thread because I was steaming over the same reviews , but the thing that really got me was that somebody felt the need to knock their rating down because they hated the music AND because it was too loud ! Now , we can all agree or disagree over music but it really seems petty to me lower a rating when you have been given the option to pick a different track and choose no music whatsoever ! So , Cathe cares enough
about us to spend the time and money doing this but someone has to complain anyway . Just had to get that off my chest .

I'm glad I found this thread because I was steaming over the same reviews , but the thing that really got me was that somebody felt the need to knock their rating down because they hated the music AND because it was too loud ! Now , we can all agree or disagree over music but it really seems petty to me lower a rating when you have been given the option to pick a different track and choose no music whatsoever ! So , Cathe cares enough
about us to spend the time and money doing this but someone has to complain anyway . Just had to get that off my chest .

Kate you are referring the the review on Collage. That person did say that she didn't like the music because it was too loud but she still gave the workout 5 stars. So in all honesty she did not knock the rating down.

Kate you are referring the the review on Collage. That person did say that she didn't like the music because it was too loud but she still gave the workout 5 stars. So in all honesty she did not knock the rating down.

She actually did only give 4 stars not five....if I remember not only did she say the music was too loud but said it was pop-tardish!!!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.