Q about the warmups in the new workouts?

spyrosmom

Cathlete
Been wondering.....

STS TB and HR have non-cardio warm ups. They go straight to a light barbell and easy weight moves. All Cathe's other weight workouts have a cardio warm up first, which I prefer. Of course, I could prefer it because that is what I'm used to. ;) I also work out in the basement, which is chilly in the winter, so the cardio warm up literally warms me up. :p

Is there a reason for the change? Is one way better than the other? I can always hop on the elliptical for a few minutes before I start.

Nan

I believe the warm up in Power Hour uses a light barbell and is not cardio based.

I don't know the difference in why some of the workouts use cardio and some use a light barbell. I would be interested in knowing the difference and thought there was a post somewhere explaining the difference but can't find it now.

Hi Nan! I designed High Reps to be like an updated Power Hour (which also has the same warm up style as High Reps). These warm ups are "sports specific" warm ups that take the body through the same or very similar movements that will be performed in the workout but with VERY light weight. However, if you prefer a warm up that contains dynamic movement or one that is more cardio based, certainly do it. These are also effective methods so if you prefer one over the other then take your pick or even do both (dynamic movement or cardio based one before the High Reps one). As a matter of fact, you stated that you are in a cold basement and in any cold environment I suggest adding at least five minutes to your warm up so that you will be more pliable and less prone to injury. You should n ever start your main program (post warm up) cold or shivering.

Last edited:

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.