New HIIT series question--Heavy Weights?

I am curious how the heavy weight program will be designed--I'm not interested in heavy weights, and feel Cathe's STS covers all the heavy weight I want to do.

I am a 52-y.o. runner/athlete, very into athletic/HIIT training. I really loved To The Max and Crossfire, and do the extreme premixes; I love Meso I of STS best of the 3 meso's.

My athletic sister and I don't see what's added with another heavy weight training series. We enjoy checking out various body-weight training workouts online in addition to our running, Runner's World workouts, and Cathe HIIT. What is new, different, interesting about the upcoming heavy weight videos?

What will be new/different about the HIIT videos from previous ones?

Ripped with HiiT Strength Training Workouts

When it comes to a strength training weight workout there is no such thing as a "new exercise". The human body only moves in certain ways and plains of rotation and every exercise that can be thought of was done so years ago. However, what you can change is the selection of exercises, sequence of exercises, volume, intensity, reps, sets, rest, tempo and duration.Though we will change many of these variables in Ripped with HiiT, the two most important changes will be "intensity" and "duration".

STS is a very comprehensive strength training program that will probably stand the test of time for many years to come because it offers 40 different workouts that help to always keep the body guessing. But that's not to say other heavy weight workouts are unnecessary or can't help you avoid plateaus or further your goals. With Ripped With HiiT our goal is to offer slightly shorter weight sessions than STS, but not so short as to hurt the effectiveness of the workout. Intensity will be a keyword in these workouts as "intensity" is perhaps the most important variable in getting results with any strength training program - even more important than time under tension in our opinion.

Last edited:
Excellent response SNM. STS is just one of many ways to utilize heavy weights. Like you stated there are different rep patterns, sets, exercise sequences, tempo, volume, ect...There are endless possibilities when it comes to creating programs using heavy weights. I personally love the results I get with heavy weights and I'm glad Cathe is still covering this niche. Also based on the description of the new workouts it looks like the program is also going to include circuit workouts (i.e. lighter weights) so there should be something for everyone.

With Ripped With HiiT our goal is to offer slightly shorter weight sessions than STS, but not so short as to hurt the effectiveness of the workout. Intensity will be a keyword in these workouts as "intensity" is perhaps the most important variable in getting results with any strength training program - even more important than time under tension in our opinion.

I vote for what has been highlighted above. Should there be any need to lengthen the time to 60 minutes, let it be. It's my opinion. There is no point of working out 20 minutes if all muscles are not covered.

It sounds unique to me and just what I have been waiting for. I know there are plenty of circuit and metabolic strength training workouts out there, but are there are other heavy weights PLUS HIIT circuit workouts out there? Because if there are, please share--I am very interested.

HH---Heavy+Hiit

It sounds unique to me and just what I have been waiting for. I know there are plenty of circuit and metabolic strength training workouts out there, but are there are other heavy weights PLUS HIIT circuit workouts out there? Because if there are, please share--I am very interested.

We (here on the forum) asked for HH---Heavy+Hiit:D
So excited we are having what we asked for:):)

Have you tried youtube? Lot's of instructors putting their workouts for free on youtube.

SNM:

this part of the original poster's question went unanswered:

"What will be new/different about the HIIT videos from previous ones?"

What would your response be?

Thank you,

Clare

What will be new/different about the HIIT videos from previous ones?

When it comes to a strength training weight workout there is no such thing as a "new exercise". The human body only moves in certain ways and plains of rotation and every exercise that can be thought of was done so years ago. However, what you can change is the selection of exercises, sequence of exercises, volume, intensity, reps, sets, rest, tempo and duration.Though we will change many of these variables in Ripped with HiiT, the two most important changes will be "intensity" and "duration".

Have you tried youtube? Lot's of instructors putting their workouts for free on youtube.

Hi Belinda,

Just like Jen I am interested in a package of true heavy+Hiit program.

No disrespect to anyone preferred trainer, do those program offer structure, intensity, a comprehensive narrative of the concept the program is based on? Are there any home program with 80% max one rep? with less than 10 reps?

Thanks

SNM:

this part of the original poster's question went unanswered:

"What will be new/different about the HIIT videos from previous ones?"

What would your response be?

Thank you,

Clare

I think the person's question you're referring to was about the strength workouts, not the cardio ones, but my answer would still be pretty much the same. With a cardio workout that is based on HiiT you vary the exercises, exercise sequence, intensity, rest, work to rest ratio, duration, etc. Music even becomes an important variable and factor.

I think the number one thing that makes Cathe's workouts unique and special is her ability to know how to sequence movement and exercises so as to regulate the heart rate rate just where it should be. She knows when to push and when to pull back. Too often instructors include "cool moves" they have seen on YouTube or elsewhere in their workouts without the understanding how to layer and sequence them. With Ripped with HiiT you will get workouts that are properly sequenced and designed to maximize your results in the least amount of time as possible.

We always use a pretty broad brush to paint a picture of our pre-sale workouts in the beginning as things often change in rehearsals. After filming we will then fill in all of the details, but even then to describe any cardio workout you really need to have people watch a video. And that won't come until later on.

Last edited:
Hi Belinda,

Just like Jen I am interested in a package of true heavy+Hiit program.

No disrespect to anyone preferred trainer, do those program offer structure, intensity, a comprehensive narrative of the concept the program is based on? Are there any home program with 80% max one rep? with less than 10 reps?

Thanks

Nathalie ,I did not understand Jen to be asking about a package, I understood the question to reference to workouts. There are programs that can be found, it is of course individual preference. I personally enjoy the variety that it brings.

I recently did Burn Sets, which I love BECAUSE it has a total Upper Body premix. Please, please include something like this for these heavy weight workouts. It's just a preference of mine to work total upper body instead of splitting it up. Please make it possible to put the two together in a comprehensive, longer workout. I'm really hoping for a total upper body premix.

Nathalie ,I did not understand Jen to be asking about a package, I understood the question to reference to workouts. There are programs that can be found, it is of course individual preference. I personally enjoy the variety that it brings.

Hi Belinda,

You understood jen's post. So did I. I too enjoy variety to break monotony----. Working out 95 percent Cathe, I do add in other instructors dvd. I am selective in my choice because I do require list of elements. That makes me demanding in a way. Most of free work out do not match what I want and would reach for.

I am happy to invest in non free work out as long as it meet my demand.

I recently did Burn Sets, which I love BECAUSE it has a total Upper Body premix. Please, please include something like this for these heavy weight workouts. It's just a preference of mine to work total upper body instead of splitting it up. Please make it possible to put the two together in a comprehensive, longer workout. I'm really hoping for a total upper body premix.

I agree. An upper body PM would be wonderful!

Oh good, Swimmer. I'm glad it's not just me! Even if the workouts are on different discs, 4DS has an amazing upper body premix that compiles all the parts into a total UB workout. I do so wish Gym Styles and Slow and Heavy had them too. PLEASE, Cathe and SNM.

UB Premix PLEASE ! :)

I agree with exercise-lover !
I would like to see an UB premix with this series too !

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.