HIIT

lala1

Cathlete
Love, love love, this concept.
Does this replace steady state? Or is it to be used in addition to?

I'm not an expert or a trainer - but from what I've read and learned on this forum - HIIT should not be done typically more than twice a week. There should be about 72 hours "rest" in between (rest meaning doing something other than HIIT!). Steady state can be done on the other days. The high-impact HIIT, if done too close together or too often, can possibly lead to injuries. So no, this doesn't replace steady state, it's an option for other days. You can get a good idea of how Cathe alternates and works in these types of cardio by looking at many of her posted rotations. For example the IMAXes are HIIT, though not of this exact "Tabata" style.
HTH!

Love, love love, this concept.
Does this replace steady state? Or is it to be used in addition to?

Hi La la1....This is to be used in addition to steady state training.

HIIT training is extremely intense and should only be done as shorter workouts, usually no more than 25 minutes, as a result. While this training is highly effective for getting you in INCREDIBLE shape, (ie: maximizing cardio benefits, increasing fat loss, and catapulting your stamina) it is much too intense to do every single day. The body (joints, tendons, ligaments, etc.) needs recovery time.

In the Shock Cardio series, I have designed 3 HIIT workouts to SHOCK your system, but have also designed steady state training programs such as Step Moves, MMA workouts, etc., so that you have a variety of intensity to keep your program effective every single day (but don't forget to include one off day per week, ;)).

Shock Cardio is not only designed to vary your intensity....it is also designed to vary your training activity and impact levels, thus creating the most comprehensive cardiovascular cross training program out there. It is the perfect complement to STS Strength (although it is perfectly fine to use without it) and your body will never have the exact same workout on any given day.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.