High Reps

Every time I do this workout, I enjoy it more! Its now a tie between Total Body and High Reps. The reason I get into them is the weight-lifting of course, but they jack my heart rate up high enough to give me quite a calorie burn. Really love the the music, nearly as much as in STS Strength.

Was just coming on to post about High Reps yesterday, my first time through I didn't feel the love, I think I loved STS so much that I was not prepared for the high rep style, and did not allow myself to get into it.

So fast forward to yesterday, and I decide I'm finally in the mood for high reps, and I loved it this time through, my day after soreness is all in my triceps, all from those little deceiving baby 5 lb weights :eek:

Even when I started feeling ready to quit, she changed up the legs to be a little more fun and with no weights, so instead of skipping it, I made it through.

Thanks Cathe, this one is a winner, it just took me a little longer to figure it out for myself.

High reps good for lean muscle development?

I have a question about High Reps. I just got this and am wondering if this one helps develop lean muscle mass? or does it need to be rotated in a different way?

I was planning on doing it 3x a week with cardio sessions.

Or this a mistake on this one?

I have a question about High Reps. I just got this and am wondering if this one helps develop lean muscle mass? or does it need to be rotated in a different way?

I was planning on doing it 3x a week with cardio sessions.

Or this a mistake on this one?

I use this as aerobic weight training, with lighter weights. I can definitely lose weight with this if I do it 3 times a week. It will define muscle depending on the weights you use, but I can't see going too high (like over 50 on the barbell) because it moves too fast and lots of reps.

Hi! I have this one and am right now doing ChaLean Extreme, which is slower weight lifting 3x a week with 2 days of only cardio (but one of those days is a short interval weight circuit day). I always add in more cardio to get more calorie burn benefits. I want to know if on the day I do this short circuit ChaLean DVD I can also use high reps later in the day as my second workout? Does doing high reps undo any of the work with the heavier slower weight lifting I also do 3x a week?

Just want to see how this high reps DVD can be incorporated. I am looking to lose fat and maintain my current muscle. If I can build some great, but probably more realistic to try to hold on to it.

Any thoughts if this will work? Also, is the calorie burn on this decent? I know weight lifting burns fewer calories, but I like to count some burned...since I am working and sweating and getting heart rate up...would this high reps be appropriate with a HR monitor?

Was just coming on to post about High Reps yesterday, my first time through I didn't feel the love, I think I loved STS so much that I was not prepared for the high rep style, and did not allow myself to get into it.

So fast forward to yesterday, and I decide I'm finally in the mood for high reps, and I loved it this time through, my day after soreness is all in my triceps, all from those little deceiving baby 5 lb weights :eek:

Even when I started feeling ready to quit, she changed up the legs to be a little more fun and with no weights, so instead of skipping it, I made it through.

Thanks Cathe, this one is a winner, it just took me a little longer to figure it out for myself.

Dela,

I was the same way. My first time it wasn't love and it wasn't blah. It just was. I tried it again today about 10 days after my first use and I loved it! OMG talk about tricep killers! My shoulders felt it but I didn't think my triceps would ever stop shaking. I loved it! It's hard to find workouts that burn out triceps and those are the muscles I love to fry out. This was also the first time I used the Discs, ever, and it really hits the hamstrings in a wonderful way. I think this is going to be a workout I turn to time and again. For those that didn't like it on the first attept, try it again bc you will feel the love... and the burn!

can i ask everyone what weight barbell they use.I am thinking of buying a weighted bar just because of lack of room.if i chose to use dumbbells instead when cathe uses her barbell
1.Could i use dumbbells instead.
2.what weight dumbbells should i use for those exrecises she uses the barbell

many thanks,mel

can i ask everyone what weight barbell they use.I am thinking of buying a weighted bar just because of lack of room.if i chose to use dumbbells instead when cathe uses her barbell
1.Could i use dumbbells instead.
2.what weight dumbbells should i use for those exrecises she uses the barbell

many thanks,mel

Melly,

I use the Troy Lite System when doing Cathe's workouts. I got mine here http://www.fitness1st.com/Troy-Bars.html

I want to treat this like aerobic weight training, so I keep it at 40 pounds except for shoulder work which I'll lower to 30 and bicep curls at 35. This set takes up little room too. You can always substitute dumbells for a barbell, especially if you aren't lifting over 25 pounds in each hand. I'm not sure if you mean space as in storage or space as in workout area. The Troy Lite bar is 54 inches or 4'5", so its good for tight spaces. When I first started doing Cathe workouts I had to get my own dumbells because my husband's set started at 20 pounds. I find I use 5's, 8's, 10's, 12's, 15's,20's and 25's the most. If I sub dumbells in for the barbell, I go up to 60's, my husband has a huge collection...and they take up a lot of room!

I want to second the Troy Lite System BB...I love mine! It has rubber weight plates that are "friendlier" to your floors. You can sub BB for DB's but I like the feel of using both. But, you can def modify with one or the other.

hi,
thanks for replying.there abit expensive don't think i can stretch tothat much.do i need a barbell at all.if i decided to use dumbbells instaed what weight should i start with?

hi,
thanks for replying.there abit expensive don't think i can stretch tothat much.do i need a barbell at all.if i decided to use dumbbells instaed what weight should i start with?

Melly, you def can use DB's instead for now. It's hard to say what weights you should use because everyone is at diff strengths. BUT, that being said, you should be all set on what weight you guess at because being that it's HIGHER REPS, you will use lower weights. (Compared to lifting heavy for strength if that makes sense?) If you don't take a 1RM just guess at what weight you THINK you can do for quite a few reps. Hope this helps! Also, some of the lower body moves, you don't even have to use weights to FEEL IT! Yowza! :eek:

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.