Anyone try the Wavemaster II standing bag? (it's black with pink!)

Hi Denise!

I have a Wavemaster (don't know the model, though) but it's red with a black base and the height is adjustable. I've used it mainly for Billy Blanks's Contact Tae Bo (the inflatable one that comes with the DVDs is a joke!!!) and I am very satisfied with it. It can take lots of punches and kicks!!!

A couple of things you have to know... Although when the base is filled with water it is very heavy, somehow with all the kicking and punching it tends to slip away from you (especially if you workout on a carpet or hardwood floor. I had to put my yoga mat under it to prevent it from sliding across the room.

Punching to a certain rhythm takes some adjusting on your part until you find the proper rhythm for it. I wasn't punching as hard at first until I found out how quickly the bag comes back to me after the punch, so I could keep a steady pace.

HTH,

Chris.

I have the one from the first link: Century Wavemaster II Free Standing Aerobic Bag ($109.99).

I have no idea which one Cathe uses but I think that for those of us who will be training with it no more than once/twice a week a wavemaster at about $100 is just right. I usually spend $$$ on weights, shoes and barbells/dumbbells but somehow spending too much on a punching bag seems a bit too much for me.

Chris.

I don't have that one (this is the one I have, with a different logo on : http://www.amazon.com/Century-Class...e=UTF8&s=sporting-goods&qid=1259542965&sr=1-7 ). Red and black are my fav kickboxing colors!

It looks like it might be a bit less stable than the one I have because there is less of a base to fill. (And I don't see any pink on it?)

Kathryn,

Do you like yours? I found one just like it in the local online classified ads for $40. I'm going to look at it this afternoon. I'm excited--hope it works okay.

Kathryn,

Do you like yours? I found one just like it in the local online classified ads for $40. I'm going to look at it this afternoon. I'm excited--hope it works okay.
I frankly haven't used it that much, but it does the job (and I got it on sale, so that helps!)

B.O.B. is the best!

Since it sounds like $$ is an issue for you all, this may not be an option right now, but definitely worth saving your pennies for! I absolutely LOVE BOB, the mean guy in my workout pit that's stands there with a mean stare just waiting for me to lay into him, ha ha! It's made by Century, and BOB is an acronym for Body Opponent Bag. But he's not a bag, he's a rubber man, tough rubbery stuff. (Now if only I could get a list of what everyone means by the acronyms used on this forum!:)

BOB can be height adjusted, taken off the post for practicing self defense moves on the floor and comes without shorts/regular, http://www.amazon.com/Century-Bob-Body-Opponent-Bag/dp/B000F00DSO
or XL/with shorts to practice those 'lower kicks', (called 'with groin'),
http://www.blackbeltshop.com/bob_with_groin.htm

Had to post this as he's helped me so much as a female to practice, even non-fight oriented vids like Cathe's, throwing punches and kicks that could relate to a real life situation. It was a world of difference to punch up to an average height and a smaller target, like the head, than straight out in a middle of a bag. Not to mention the firmer surface is a big change. But of course, you don't have to use him like that and can just do stomach or chest throws at a lower height. He has taken some serious boxing matches from my teen for two years and is still in perfect condition.

But he fills with sand, not water, which I prefer do to sanitary reasons. I cannot stand a bag or anything that bounces away from me and 'comes back' even briefly and he's rigid. So funny how I always refer to BOB as 'he'. Anyway, it's just a great product that most have probably already seen, but thought I'd mention him for ya. Thanks.

Since it sounds like $$ is an issue for you all, this may not be an option right now, but definitely worth saving your pennies for! I absolutely LOVE BOB, the mean guy in my workout pit that's stands there with a mean stare just waiting for me to lay into him, ha ha! It's made by Century, and BOB is an acronym for Body Opponent Bag. But he's not a bag, he's a rubber man, tough rubbery stuff. (Now if only I could get a list of what everyone means by the acronyms used on this forum!:)

BOB can be height adjusted, taken off the post for practicing self defense moves on the floor and comes without shorts/regular, http://www.amazon.com/Century-Bob-Body-Opponent-Bag/dp/B000F00DSO
or XL/with shorts to practice those 'lower kicks', (called 'with groin'),
http://www.blackbeltshop.com/bob_with_groin.htm
I've always been interested in this (but got a different bag on sale to fit my budget).

Since 'he's' made by Century, it would be nice if they just sold the Bob-topper to use with bag bases one may already have. (I filled mine with water and some bleach, because I can't imagine the mess of trying to empty a sand-filled base if I ever need to do so. With the water, I can just roll my bag out onto my front porch and tip it over to let the water drain onto the ground).
Bob with groin, lol!

Are there and Canadian Catheites who have found a good free standing bag? I live on PEI and I would have to order one through the mail and I don;t mind that, just don;t know where to start looking. Thanks!

You can buy just the BOB body, regular or XL with the shorts. The bleach is a good idea, but I use him in the basement and would have to empty him down here before being able to move. Was thinking maybe pouring the base out into a gazillion trash bags...think the sand weight is up to about 300 lbs now coz I kept moving him when when working out during some slightly upset times. Not that my neighbors aren't all saints, let's just say BOB keeps me on my side of the fence. ;) But nice thought, you may already have a post he'll fit. I'd call Century on that one for sure. Thanks.

Dixiedog, start with sporting goods stores, ones that carry exercise equipment. They usually carry boxing gloves and bags if they sell workout equipment. Good luck.

Hi All. This is the one we got. http://www.titlemma.com/p_WMXXL+BK.aspx?source=TMFROOG

The main reason we went with the XXL is because the bag on it is long which allows you to kick lower if you are unable to do higher kicks. Many of the smaller units have a higher base and shorter bag which can really hurt if you don't clear that base height for your kick. This bag is also more durable for us to use daily at our fitness facility.

I am pretty much thinking, if I get a home bag, of getting the one Cathe is using, WaveMaster XXL. After taking a year of Tae Kwon Do (half way to black belt, yahoo!) I am convinced that a lightweight bag is nearly useless, if you are interested in self-defense. There is nothing quite like hitting, or kicking, a very heavy bag. When I started TKD as a beginner, I would nearly fall down after a hard kick on the bags at the school, due to losing my balance. I have been told that kicking a heavy bag is a similar feeling to kicking a heavy attacker - they don't give, or flop around, or wiggle in the air. So to put in my 2 cents for whatever it's worth, I would say get a heavy one if you want to practice with a bag and are interested in martial arts and self-defense. They do cost more, but there is more substance involved. I have also done sparring with big strong males at the school and believe me - they don't have to "come back" because when you hit them, they don't "bounce away!" The TKD school only has very heavy bags for practicing.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.