Cathe Live very 'glitchy'

LFleming

Hi there, I watched the Cathe Live session live while it was being filmed and it was really smooth and came in beautifully. I was unable to do the workout with Cathe at that time, I had to leave for an appointment. Tried to use Cathe Live today, and video is very 'glitchy' (not sure if that's an actual word). Impossible to follow. Am I the only one that is having an issue with this? The only way I will be able to enjoy Cathe Live is if I make it a point to workout every Thursday at 9:15. I'm not much of a morning person ...could be a challenge. Thx

Yesterday I found it to be very "glitchy" but since last night it has been running smooth for me on my Ipad and my Iphone. Have you tried it recently?

Hi there, I watched the Cathe Live session live while it was being filmed and it was really smooth and came in beautifully. I was unable to do the workout with Cathe at that time, I had to leave for an appointment. Tried to use Cathe Live today, and video is very 'glitchy' (not sure if that's an actual word). Impossible to follow. Am I the only one that is having an issue with this? The only way I will be able to enjoy Cathe Live is if I make it a point to workout every Thursday at 9:15. I'm not much of a morning person ...could be a challenge. Thx

What kind of a device are you watching on?

I tried on my Sony vaio laptop, no luck. Tried on my Microsoft Surface, no luck. Then tried my Playbook, epic fail there. I've been trying all day. Constantly freezes up. Watching it live was perfect though.

Download Speed

The streaming video of the class is at a much lower resolution than the recorded video. What is the download speed for your ISP and who is your ISP?

I just did the workout yesterday, and I didn't have a single glitch. Sorry yours is freezing up - I know that's frustrating.

I've had the same issue on both my PC and laptop. I love the on demand and have no issues with that, it comes in crystal clear and perfect. But the live is not smooth at all.

I'm still on the fence about this. I have wireless 4G because we are so rural we don't have DSL. Will it work with that?

Susan:)

Video Problem Suggestions

Ok found it! Speed is 65.0 Mbps. Not sure if that's good or bad....

I think you're not doing your speed test correctly. Your ISP's website says the maximum speed for consumers is only 6 mbps. And this doesn't mean you will actually get 6 mbps. As load on the node in your area goes up your actual speed can drop. Here is a site to test on : Speedtest.net by Ookla - The Global Broadband Speed Test Don't bother with scanning your computer, just go to the test site and click the begin test button.

Of the devices you have the Surface and the Sony Laptop are fine. I have my doubts about Blackberry Playbook working, but don't have one to test.

Also, are you using wireless or a wired connection? If you have a wired connection please try it as this can help to rule out wireless as the issue.

My guess at this point is you have a marginal DSL. When we first stream the file it is at a lower resolution than the recorded video that you access later. This is why you can get the stream ok, but have problems with the recorded video. The Cathe Live recorded video is also at a higher quality than the OnDemand Videos. This is why some people with marginal DSL's can play their OnDemand videos, but have issues with Cathe Live.

For our next Cathe Live broadcast we're going to reduce the quality of the Cathe Live recorded video to the same quality as the OnDemand videos which are encoded at 720p. This means that if you can watch our OnDemand videos you should be able to watch Cathe Live without any glitches.

Thanks for the test site, mine is at 10.07Mbps and thanks for changing it for next time. I just watched the clip you posted on youtube and the workout looks great so I hope I can get them in the future.

New 720p Version of the Boot Camp Class

10 mbps is plenty for the OnDemand videos. Since the Cathe Live is a higher quality I'm not sure what the bottom limit is. We're going to post a 720p version of the Live class that is exactly the same resolution as the OnDemand videos in just a little bit. Definitely give it a try once we post it and it should solve your issue since you can use the OnDemand videos without any problems.

New Video for people having a problem with viewing

A new lower quality clip from the May 8th Boot Camp class is now up. This is still in HD, but of lesser quality than before and is the same quality as our OnDemand videos.

Give it a shot and see if this solves your problem. This won't help someone with an old 1.5 DSL, but people that have a cable modem or a DSL that can watch our OnDemand videos, but had problems with Cathe Live, hopefully will be fine now.

Just go to http://cathe.com/stream/live/ and select the lower quality video of the class.

10 mbps is plenty for the OnDemand videos. Since the Cathe Live is a higher quality I'm not sure what the bottom limit is. We're going to post a 720p version of the Live class that is exactly the same resolution as the OnDemand videos in just a little bit. Definitely give it a try once we post it and it should solve your issue since you can use the OnDemand videos without any problems.

I tried the new live class and it was perfect. Thanks so much for this and all that everyone there does to keep us happy.

Lower Quality Version of Boot Camp - 720p

Glad to hear it worked for you . We're also going to put an even lower quality version up for people trying to view Cathe Live that the 720p version is still too big for. I think most people's cable modems will be fine with the 720p version, but I'm sure there are some people that an even lower quality version will help until their ISP increases their bandwidth.

Thanks SNM. Haven't tested speed yet but I will. I just tried the new lower quality version and that appears to come in much better. Still a little glitchy but the class can be followed with that version. Thanks for all your efforts.

Ok just checked speed: download speed 7.70 mbps, upload speed 0.86 mbps. Not very techy so not sure if this is good or bad. Thx

Last edited:
640p file Now Available

Glad to hear the 720p version improved things for you. We've now added an even lower quality 640p version of the video file from the May 8th Boot Camp class that should help people with even lower speed DSL's to see the video clip smoothly.

I'm not sure exactly how much speed your DSL needs for a 640p file, but probably a 2.0 mbps DSL might work. A DSL with only a 2 mbps download speed is pretty poor by today's standards, so hopefully by offering a 720p and and a 640p file of our Cathe Live classes most people with a cable or DSL modem can enjoy a glich free experience.

A 7.7 mbps DSL is not great but doable . Here in our office we have 312 mbps, so you can see the difference. The clip you had a problem with was a 1080i file and you need to have a 4.5 - 9.5 mbps DSL at the very least to have any chance of viewing. Since the DSL signal can fluctuate and the quality of the computer comes into play too, a 7.7 mbps DSL is questionable for a 1080 file. But you should be fine with the 640p file and possibly the 720p file.

In the future for our Cathe Live we will release a 720p file and a 640p File after the live stream ends. The 640 p file may take an extra day to put up sometimes though.

I know the 720 p file worked but wasn't perfect, can you let us know if the 640p file works perfectly?

Last edited:

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.