Too much soy?

JT1019

I am a vegan newbie, going on about 4 months now. I don't have a lot of time to cook so I rely on some prepackaged foods to save time. There are some really good ones (Gardein meats YUM!!) but most are made with soy and I've heard that too much soy is bad for women. There is a lot of conflicting information on the Internet about this. Just wondering if anyone has any personal experience or advice about this.

Hi JT,

This video may shed some light on the subject for you:
How Much Soy Is Too Much? | NutritionFacts.org

All of the articles you see in the video are available underneath the video in the "Sources Cited" tab if you would like to read them yourself.

For more context on IGF-1, see these two videos:

Animalistic Plant Proteins | NutritionFacts.org

Too Much Soy May Neutralize Benefits | NutritionFacts.org

I know there is a lot of conflicting information "on the internet", but really there is a lot of consensus in the scientific world that generally speaking soy is not only not harmful, but has numerous health benefits. You always have to look at the balance of evidence, and in this case there is a mountain of it in favor of soy, and perhaps a molehill against it.

I'm also vegan though I consume very little soy (definitely less than most meat-eaters!). I hear you on being short on time, I tend to make double batches of veggie burgers and freeze them, and I make a lot of great big stews. I do almost all of my cooking on Saturday or Sunday and eat leftovers all week long. I can give you some of my favorite recipes if you want :)

Do you have a pressure cooker and/or a food processor? I can't recommend these two appliances enough for a new vegan!

Watch out for GMOs

I think the big thing against soy is that it is one of the top 3 crops that is genetically modified. It is disheartening and scary. I would say most things are fine in moderation, and to buy organic as much as possible. If you are drinking a lot of soy milk, I would switch to something like almond milk.

There's a lot of big business that pays off politicians :mad: so this type of GMO practice can continue. GMO crops are huge profits to certain big companies. Read up about Genetically Modified Organisms (GMO) for more information.

Good luck!

Jodi

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.