Eating/Shake before workout???

mimisonny02

Hi everyone, I find it really hard to eat anything before working out...so I am wondering what brand of shake I can mix up and drink before my workout in the morning? I know there different types of shakes ones for before and after, but I do not think I will be able to drink a shake after my workout and eat breakfast on top of that. Any suggestions!!!!!!?????

This doesn't really answer your question but I don't eat anything before working out and I don't drink a shake either.

I know some people need to eat something or drink a shake or else they might feel weak during their workout but I have never had a problem with my energy level during any workout, even Body Max 2 at 97 minutes. I am able to make it the whole way through without eating or drinking anything (except water :p).

Also, I have read in several different sources that doing cardio in a fasting mode can actually increase your fat burn slightly.

I know it is recommended to eat before doing heavy weights but I have never had problems with doing that either. I work out very early in the morning (3:30 am) and there is no way I am getting up earlier just so I can eat and then let it settle and then finally start my workout!

However, with that I think it is just as important or maybe more important to eat after your workout. After any heavy weight workout (not circuit workouts), I drink a protein shake within 30 minutes after working out to help my on-the-mend muscles.

So I guess, if you don't need to eat anything before hand for energy reasons, then I wouldn't worry about it. If you do need to eat for energy reasons, hopefully my response will bump this so someone else can help you.

Hope that helped!

Using of protiens shakes before workout is awesome for your body,..
i will take half litter banana shake before workout,....

I usually do cardio with light weights and do a full on strength workout once a week, I have heard that protein shakes are only good to drink before weight training, is that true? Is whey protein a good source? Thanks for the help!

You have better to use banana and apple shake together and it is a good combination for health and specially early in the morning its the best thing to have before breakfast.

personally I would not drink a protein shake prior to a cardio workout. the type of protein you take in prior to (or during if you happen to do any endurance cardio like cycling where you may be riding for 3 hrs or more & need to ingest protein so as not to catabolize your muscle) is different than the type you need for post-workout. check this link when you have the time: http://www.hammernutrition.com/know...em.1252.html?sect=essential-knowledge-section

there is some great info on this site & for this link, scroll down to where it says "Protein Powder" and start reading. what you should know is that whey protein is best for post-workout.

for weight workouts maybe the soy protein would be a good fit.

Extend BCAAs in lemonade is nice. I use it either during or after. It's not heavy.
I'm diabetic so I need something either before or during, otherwise you couldn't get me moving at all.
Core performance has a good section on timing of nutrition and workouts. The first book and even core performance essentials? I think that's what it's called.
Hope that helps!

Dr Mercola says it's best for fat burning to not eat anything before working out. But he says if you need to eat to have enough energy for your workout then you should have 20 grams of protein 30 minutes before working out, but it should be protein only like a shake, but with nothing else in it besides the protein powder. And then he says to have another 20 grams of protein right after the workout. I can look for the article if anyone is interested.

I am vegetarian, an avid athlete, and always looking for ways to get adequate nutrition. During training for a marathon I found Vega, a completely vegan supplement. http://myvega.com/
The one I use is the "health food optimizer". It has 26g of protein, plus almost all vitamins and minerals you need, and 15g of fiber. Plus it actually comes in flavors that taste good and you only have to mix it with water. Only major downside is the cost - $75 for a 15 serving tub. (I find that I ration it out and sometimes only use half a serving as well.)
So it's not really a pre or post workout drink, although Vega does have other products with that in mind, but I use it as an overall health booster. I am an absolute fan because I have felt a significant difference in my body, it's performance, and my general health since I started using it almonst 3 years ago now.
I hope this helps. :)
Courtney

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.