Cathe Friedrich Forums

Want our Forums on the go?
Get Cathe’s forum on your mobile device.

Go Back   The Cathe Nation > Nutrition Forums > Diet and Nutrition

Diet and Nutrition General discussion about diet, weight loss, nutrition and healthy eating.

Drinking Alcohol & Weight Loss

This is a discussion on Drinking Alcohol & Weight Loss within the Diet and Nutrition forums, part of the Nutrition Forums category;; I've lost 5.5 pounds in 5 weeks drinking a little bit of wine (4 oz) every night!...

Like Tree9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-20-2011, 01:41 PM
DeCathelete

Talking

I've lost 5.5 pounds in 5 weeks drinking a little bit of wine (4 oz) every night!
meredithharb likes this.

Wendy
Old 05-20-2011, 05:09 PM
Cathlete
Stephanie0523's Profile Fields

I drink a glass of red wine every night, and when I'm really trying to drop weight, I limit it to every other night and make sure when I do drink it that I factor the calories in.

I drink it strictly for the antioxidants, of course.
martijean1 likes this.
Old 05-26-2011, 03:09 PM

Default Skinnygirl margarita

Technically there is a 100cal margarita product out there developed by Bethenny Frankel (per 4oz serving) and its ingredients are far better than your average margarita. (And it has made her a very rich woman.)

I'm personally not a fan of margaritas (although I am a fan of Bethenny) and would much rather enjoy a nice beer every so often rather than a mixed drink or glass of wine.
Old 06-18-2012, 11:21 AM
Danas_gettin_fit's Profile Fields

This has been my biggest struggle. Ive been a regular drinker for years and am trying to cut back. Been doing better but its almost a constant temptation and battle in my free time.
Old 10-01-2012, 02:16 AM

you should exercise more i mean aerobics and cardio. and once in a while have a glass of wine. not everyday. and consume red wine
Old 10-01-2012, 10:17 AM

Hi,

I exercise faithfully 6 days a week, I do 3 days of strength training (just finished up STS for the 4th time!) and I do light cardio on the days I do weights, then longer cardio other 3 days. I also have a glass of wine almost every night with dinner and two mixed drinks on Friday and Saturday nights. So far, its not affected my weight. What I do is this, before and after I have a drink, I make sure to drink 32 oz of water. OK, I know that sounds like a lot of water, but alcohol dehydrates the body, so I feel that by staying hydrated it helps to counteract that, as well as flush out my system quicker. As for the mixed drinks, I drink Bacardi light rum and Diet Coke, but I only drink those on the weekends. I like margaritas, but I probably haven't had one in several years, they are just so full of sugar, I would feel weird when I drink one from the sugar rush.

Also, having drinks at home is much more affordable than having them at a restaurant or bar. Two glasses of wine at most restaurants is about $14 and for that you can buy a decent bottle of wine at the grocery or liquor store. And, they make those low sugar and sugar free margarita mixers that I don't think are offered at restauraunts. Plus, not only does having drinks at home save money, it can save lives too. I personally do not like to drive even after having only one drink while out.

I work a very stressful job and I enjoy coming home at night and having a drink. Honestly, I didn't drink until my husband & I married because my friends and family never did, but when we got together, much of our social life involves having drinks.

Hope that helps, good luck to you!
Old 11-08-2012, 07:55 PM
emigliori's Profile Fields

It depends on your goals, but most PT's and nutritionists say that you should abstain all together. Not only for the calorie intake but for the other things it does to you body. Yes, red wine has some proven health benefits, but it's unlikely that you will make yourself more unhealthy by abstaining. It also can prevent you from getting a good night's sleep. Really, most of it is socialization. You are expected to drink in certain social situations and it feels normal. It was really, really, really hard at first but now I keep it to special, special occasions. In fact, I haven't had anything in a year and find after a while you don't miss it. Then when you have an opportunity to have some you sort of think twice and say, do I really want that?
Old 12-29-2012, 06:46 AM
Cathlete
labnick's Profile Fields

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdollprince View Post
it is very very unfortunate, but booze can totally wreck all your careful food choices for the week in an hour. there are so many fat free, sugar free foods...if someone could come up with a 100 calorie margarita they would be set for life!

when i am tracking my calories and working out like i should, i have to just get my game face on and NOT drink during the week (ok 5 days a week) because let's face it, having to limit yourself to one glass of wine is just a tease.

jes

Jdollprince....I actually do make 100 calorie margaritas....I use..lite jose cuervo margarita mix and sugar free monin syrup in either blackberry, mango or strawberry flavor with monin sugar free triple sec. All of these have zero calories except the tequila of course which is about 100 calories per shot I believe. You can get the margarita mix at super walmart and the syrups on line at Moninstore.com. I make them when I have company and everyone loves them. Especially when I tell them how low calorie they are and if we have two in one nightnite it doesn't kill your weight loss goals!
Old 01-21-2013, 04:45 PM
Catheite
Candiceena's Profile Fields

Former drinker here...I've done it all, moderate, occasional, and all-out every night binging. Not pretty. Abstain if possible. Once you cut. Booze out of your life for a few months you'll wonder why you ever drank it. I used to LOVE beer. I drank beer every night and partied a lot on weekends. It affects you in ways that you are unaware of until you cut it out 100%.

Ymmv....but my skin is better, I've lost weight, I can control my food and workout schedule better, and I just prefer a life without alcohol. Also after 2-3 months you will HATE the taste. I tried drinking a beer on Xmas...lmfao. It was disgusting.
Old 01-21-2013, 10:23 PM
Cathlete
ReneePruitt's Profile Fields

Send a message via Yahoo to ReneePruitt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Candiceena View Post
Former drinker here...I've done it all, moderate, occasional, and all-out every night binging. Not pretty. Abstain if possible. Once you cut. Booze out of your life for a few months you'll wonder why you ever drank it. I used to LOVE beer. I drank beer every night and partied a lot on weekends. It affects you in ways that you are unaware of until you cut it out 100%.

Ymmv....but my skin is better, I've lost weight, I can control my food and workout schedule better, and I just prefer a life without alcohol. Also after 2-3 months you will HATE the taste. I tried drinking a beer on Xmas...lmfao. It was disgusting.
Good for you!

I tried to b a drinker cause my family was but i cant stand the taste. If i get past the taste i get a headache before the morning. At times id drink two beers and headache already. Or a mixed drink. If i get past all that im to to silly. I am silly without drinking. So i do not do it.
I wish my son would read ur comment he is 22 and spends his money on it. He claims its hard to make it, he is single and shares rent, the only reason he has a time saving is he drinks too much. I just think its toxic for his health and wallet ..