Cathe Friedrich Forums

Want our Forums on the go?
Get Cathe’s forum on your mobile device.

Go Back   The Cathe Nation > Nutrition Forums > Diet and Nutrition

Diet and Nutrition General discussion about diet, weight loss, nutrition and healthy eating.

Apples-Sugar

This is a discussion on Apples-Sugar within the Diet and Nutrition forums, part of the Nutrition Forums category;; I know this a stupid question. I have been trying to watch my sugar intake and I just looked at ...

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-23-2009, 08:58 AM
Catheite
naynay's Profile Fields

Default Apples-Sugar

I know this a stupid question. I have been trying to watch my sugar intake and I just looked at how much sugar is in an apple and in one natures promise organic gala apple there are 16 grams of sugar. I normally only eat a half but I have other stuff with it. Is the sugar in an apple good or do I need to be careful of how many apples I eat?
Old 12-23-2009, 09:26 AM
Jovigal's Profile Fields

Default Nature's Sugars

Quote:
Originally Posted by naynay View Post
I know this a stupid question. I have been trying to watch my sugar intake and I just looked at how much sugar is in an apple and in one natures promise organic gala apple there are 16 grams of sugar. I normally only eat a half but I have other stuff with it. Is the sugar in an apple good or do I need to be careful of how many apples I eat?
I had always heard that fruit, while high in sugar, is still good for you. The sugar in fruit is not the processed kind, and is also high in fiber and nutrients.

I defer to anybody else who may know differently!
Old 12-23-2009, 10:50 AM
Cathlete

I always wondered about that too, I`d love to hear from anyone who has learned otherwise. TIA
Old 12-27-2009, 09:12 PM
Eira25's Profile Fields

Smile Apples and sugar content.....

Fruit is very good for you especially in it's natural form (not canned in heavy syrup for example. Any food that is minimally processed or not at all, is the best way to eat clean) but because it does have natural sugar it is best to try and limit how much is eaten right before bedtime. When eaten earlier in the day you have more of an opportunity to utilize the sugar and burn it off and always be sure to eat the peel since that is where the insoluable fiber is. Hope that helps!
Old 12-28-2009, 12:35 PM
Cathlete

i eat 2 apples a day and have for years with no bad effects. In fact, my before bed snack of choice is an apple with peanut butter and it has never made me gain weight. I know everyone is different but i don't think that 1/2 or 1 apple is going to be too much sugar.
Old 12-31-2009, 02:05 PM
Cathlete
gonnabea5's Profile Fields

Natural sugar is okay. It's the processed stuff that's not good.
Old 02-16-2010, 12:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by naynay View Post
Hi..
That is really interesting research you have did.. I am always wondered for such things ... keep it up...
Old 02-16-2010, 10:19 AM
Catheite

Last year I visited a dietician to help with weight loss.

She told me that my daily intake of 6 -10 pieces of fruit plus 1 or 2 fruit smoothies was not as healthy as I thought and, in fact, my (fruit) sugar intake was the equivilent of 2 liter bottles of coca cola!!

I always thought "well, fruit is healthy so more fruit is even healthier". Not true after all......a real eye opener!
Old 03-14-2010, 09:24 PM
Catheite

I think people focus on the wrong thing when it comes to sugar. Its really not about where it comes from but what happens once it enters your body. Your body breaks it all down to glucose no matter where it comes from and too much, again no matter where it comes from, is not good.

sugar is sugar is sugar.

16 grams? ACK!
Old 04-13-2010, 09:18 AM
Cathlete

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lastchance09 View Post
I think people focus on the wrong thing when it comes to sugar. Its really not about where it comes from but what happens once it enters your body. Your body breaks it all down to glucose no matter where it comes from and too much, again no matter where it comes from, is not good.

sugar is sugar is sugar.

16 grams? ACK!

Ditto!

Also, I wanted to mention that a serving of an apple is around 2.5 ounces. Have you ever weighed an apple? Most apples are 3 servings per apple Something that can throw you off if you're counting calories, sugar or servings.
Jazcam likes this.

Last edited by atiman; 04-13-2010 at 09:28 AM..