Cathe Friedrich Forums

Want our Forums on the go?
Get Cathe’s forum on your mobile device.

Go Back   The Cathe Nation > Nutrition Forums > Diet and Nutrition

Diet and Nutrition General discussion about diet, weight loss, nutrition and healthy eating.

Anyone a part-time Vegan?

This is a discussion on Anyone a part-time Vegan? within the Diet and Nutrition forums, part of the Nutrition Forums category;; I don't think I could ever become a Vegan permanently, I just love my meat, fish, eggs & dairy too ...

Like Tree12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-10-2012, 02:37 PM
Cathlete
mini-natty's Profile Fields

Default Anyone a part-time Vegan?

I don't think I could ever become a Vegan permanently, I just love my meat, fish, eggs & dairy too much to give them up entirely. I would however, like to maybe try 1 or 2 days/week which I can be totally Vegan. My sis-in-law did 1 month of Vegan and said it was amazing! She had lots of energy and even lost a few pounds without trying. My main concern would be getting adequate protein and nutrition. I know protein sources come from tofu & beans. Would that be enough? Also, healthy carbs is a main concern for me. I love whole wheat rice and couscous and buckwheat soba noodles. Are these forbidden foods? If anyone is vegan or even part-time vegan, I would love to hear your thoughts/suggestions.

Thank you,

Natasha
Old 01-12-2012, 04:11 PM
Cathlete
nkhansen1's Profile Fields

I am a full-time vegan as are my husband and children. I won't go into all the reasons why you don't need to worry about getting adequate protein and such from a vegan diet (you can research those for yourself), just know that it is NOT an issue when you eat a variety of whole foods.
The foods you mentioned are vegan. As long as foods do not contain animal products, dairy or eggs, they are considered vegan. The only thing I do not eat vegan is chocolate, but then I only eat very dark chocolate and only rarely.
Try reading or watching Forks Over Knives and reading The China Study. We love living this way, and I would highly recommend it to anyone! It is simple, inexpensive and wonderful for your body.
Also, if you care to visit the website, I love veganbodybuilding.com. If you have ANY concern about your ability to get adequate protein and nutrition from a completely plant-based diet, these athletes will put your fears to rest.
Soxy and cyprusave like this.

Last edited by nkhansen1; 01-12-2012 at 04:18 PM..
Old 01-12-2012, 04:26 PM
Cathlete

Remember that plants have twice the protein calorie for calorie than meat does. Protein is where the calories in plants come from. It is a myth that you have to eat certain foods together to create "complete proteins." Simply not true. Your body will create or save all essential amino acids to complete proteins as you digest. Consider that the biggest animals on earth DO NOT eat any meat: elephants, rhinos, hippos, giraffes, etc... even the largest dinosaurs were exclusively herbivores. Those big bodies and huge muscles did not come from meat, they came from plants. Eat To Live by Joel Fuhrman, MD is a great book as well. Lots of fantastic information on how to live this way.
Soxy, cyprusave and mini-natty like this.
Old 01-12-2012, 05:12 PM
Cathlete

Default Thank you!

Thank you so much for your wonderful information/thoughts/suggestions. If I could change my dietary lifestyle, it would most definitely be to Vegan, no question. I love all different foods but especially veggies, whole grain, beans, tofu & soy. My daughter may already be vegan, she HATES meat!! Give her black beans and broccoli and she is good to go!! I do make it a priority 1-3 days/week to not consume meat. But I do eat yogurt, eggs & tuna. That's my weakness

I heard Forks Over Knives was very good. Although I would not have to watch it to know that Vegan is probably one of the healthiest ways to live. I am also a huge fan of The Okinawa Diet. I do believe that they consume very little meat. To have the highest life expectancy in the world and lowest rates of Cancer, obesity, chronic diseases, speaks for itself.

Thanks again for your response. I will look into the books of reference you mentioned.
Old 01-12-2012, 05:36 PM
Cathlete

You should watch it anyway! It is so interesting, and is much more than a plug for veganism. Some stuff will blow your mind. If you are interested in vegan cookbooks, my favorite vegan chef is Isa Chandra Moskowitz. She has lots of cookbooks on Amazon. I haven't found a recipe of hers yet that I didn't just love.

It pains me to continue, but it hurts much worse to quit.
Old 01-12-2012, 06:18 PM
Cathlete

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkhansen1 View Post
You should watch it anyway! It is so interesting, and is much more than a plug for veganism. Some stuff will blow your mind. If you are interested in vegan cookbooks, my favorite vegan chef is Isa Chandra Moskowitz. She has lots of cookbooks on Amazon. I haven't found a recipe of hers yet that I didn't just love.

Of course I plan on watching it anyway!! I know the wonderful benefits of adapting to a plant based/whole foods lifestyle. I don't consider Vegan just another fad diet. It's a healthy lifestyle worth committing to.

I will never forget this Vegan cafe I used to work beside a few years back. Some of the most delicious meals I ever ate!! I was a frequent lunch costumer, and tried everything on their menu! I rarely went anywhere else!

I will also check out the cookbook you mentioned. I love, love cooking (and eating). I am also sure my daughter would love vegan foods. She is not a fan of meat, so I won't have any problems there! Thanks again!
Old 01-12-2012, 06:46 PM
Cathlete

My children love vegan food. We were vegetarian for years before making the full switch, so they have been eating this way their whole lives. It's funny, at school lunch time, my kids' lunches are the ones the other kids want to trade their Cheetos for. My kids won't make the trade, so sometimes I put a little extra lunch for them to share.
Enjoy your food experiment! I think you'll really love it!

It pains me to continue, but it hurts much worse to quit.
Old 03-11-2012, 05:20 PM
Cathlete
cendrine's Profile Fields

Natalie, I'm transitioning from vegetarian to vegan, always good to 'meet' others who do it as a family too. I have to know, what do you put in your kid's lunches that they won't trade and that the other kids oohed and aaaah over?
Old 03-12-2012, 04:56 PM
Cathlete
Jenniferlove's Profile Fields

I love Spicy Black Bean burgers by Morning Star in the frozen meat section of grocery stores; the regular, non-spicy ones are super-high in sodium (gasp) so I stay away from those.
I'm not vegetarian or vegan (sorry!) so you should not take my word for it that they are what you're looking for.
ellenj73 likes this.
Old 03-12-2012, 11:18 PM
lizh's Profile Fields

Hi everyone,
Natasha..thanks for asking this question and Natalie...thanks for the great answers! I am trying to move toward a vegan diet. It just seems to make so much sense! ...for my health (and also the planet! ..but that is a whole other story!)

Definitely give "Forks Over Knives" a try. It is a great movie and very motivating. Since watching that movie, I got interested in Dr. Caldwell Esselstyn who has a book about reversing heart disease and his son Rip Esselstyn who has a book called the Engine 2 Diet. (he's a firefighter ..hence the engine 2) They both have websites and "Engine 2" is pretty active on Facebook. I also like the site: Happy Healthy Long Life She puts out a lot of good content on FB as well.

I'm not completely strict yet, but since the first of the year, I've tried a lot of new recipes and have been eating a lot healthier!

Liz
ellenj73 likes this.