For all you foodies...

dania

Cathlete
I have this huge inner conflict right now. I've been working out all my life, and have been with Cathe from the beginning. So, that part I have down. Food is where my problem is. I just love food and I LOVE cooking and entertaining. I have tried eating clean before, but everytime I do I feel like I'm rejecting this whole other side of me whose passion is everything culinary, and then I rebound big time. But I feel like I'm not living up to my fitness potential by not having any food boundaries. I just need some advice as to how to balance both things that I love so much.

At some point you may just have to realize that you enjoy the food part enough to not worry about it so much. If you are within a healthy weight range, you should just let it go and enjoy the food side of it, I say.

-Beth

That's true, and that's pretty much how I've been dealing with it. But I feel like one of these days it's gonna catch up with me, and so I'd like to find that balance now. I guess I just need some clean-eating inspiration. I've fortunately never had a weight problem, but even at a healthy weight, why is eating clean worth it to someone like me?

Well, certainly you can make some pretty darn good food with "clean" ingredients! Maybe that's what you should focus on -- keep it fun, but concentrate on cooking clean.

-Beth

I agree with Beth - I LOVE food too and love to cook and be creative in the kitchen. I'm vegetarian, so I really do have to be creative sometimes. It's so much fun for me to take recipe ideas from Food Network and make them my own. With that being said, I do try to make them healthier when possible and tend to avoid recipes that use creams and butters. But, if you don't enjoy what you're eating, then eating clean means nothing b/c, in my very humble opinion, you'll end up probably doing the very opposite and eating terrible.

Heather

At some point you may just have to realize that you enjoy the food part enough to not worry about it so much. If you are within a healthy weight range, you should just let it go and enjoy the food side of it, I say.

-Beth

I've got the same issue, and didn't have any weight problems by sticking with that lifestyle until I turned 30. I'm following myfitnesspal, and only doing the 1/2 lb per week. My goal is just to get within the healthy range of my bmi, which is technically only 13lbs to the top end of healthy.

I plan to do CLX next winter, then STS a few months later, with lots of cardio in between. I'm hoping that the increased muscle mass will help increase metabolism so that I don't have to be too restrictive with calories. Another thing that has helped me is to view my food intake by filling up on super healthy foods during the day so that I'm not as hungry for unhealthy foods. Also, I still use things like cream and butter in recipes, but I just use less of them. I don't fret about 2TBS of heavy cream in 2 quarts of sauce. My other sneaky "trick" is to eat a whole grain fig newton, a serving of Citrucel, and a large glass of water about 20-30 minutes before dinner. I end up feeling fuller so that it's easier to eat a smaller portion of my dinner, which tends to be the most decadent meal of my day.

Two nights per week, I just have pan-seared fish and a deep-green salad with my own dressing. For pasta and rice, I've replaced it with the Barilla whole grain pasta and I'm eating brown basmati rice, which is a little finer in texture than traditional brown rice. I think that it's important to make changes in baby steps, or else our creative gourmet tendencies will feel deprived.

GMonkey - have you tried barley for rice yet? I found a yummy recipe for "risotto" using barley rather than rice. Quite tasty actually. I think you can make all kinds of really great tasting dishes by making small substitutions - like you said about the Barilla Pasta or whole wheat pastas.

I think all of you are right. I think baby steps is the best for me. And I am going to be more conscious of using brown rice and whole wheat pasta - that seems like an easy switch. I guess I've been procrastinating about eating healthier because I feel like it has to be all-or-nothing. The books and articles I've read on it all say it's a way of life, and it has to be a lifestyle change. I just know I can't live that lifestyle for the long haul. But maybe I can drop in every once in a while.:p

I think once you get used to it, it does become your lifestyle though and you don't think twice about choosing the healthier version of something. It's just getting there slowly so you're used to it. I'm not giving up pizza for anyone over night (or probably every)!!!!! LOL

Heather

I think all of you are right. I think baby steps is the best for me. And I am going to be more conscious of using brown rice and whole wheat pasta - that seems like an easy switch. I guess I've been procrastinating about eating healthier because I feel like it has to be all-or-nothing. The books and articles I've read on it all say it's a way of life, and it has to be a lifestyle change. I just know I can't live that lifestyle for the long haul. But maybe I can drop in every once in a while.:p

GMonkey - have you tried barley for rice yet? I found a yummy recipe for "risotto" using barley rather than rice. Quite tasty actually. I think you can make all kinds of really great tasting dishes by making small substitutions - like you said about the Barilla Pasta or whole wheat pastas.

I had some whole grain pilaf which had barley in it and I wasn't thrilled, but I won't hold it against the barley. Care to share your recipe?

Healthy food can be truly delicious. Have you ever watched Bobby Flay's grilling show on Food Network? Most of the stuff that he grills is really very healthy. Sure, sometimes he's grilling rib-eyes and such, but lean lamb, london broil, shrimp, etc are all healthy. Plus, he has interesting salads and grilled veggies. He rarely makes food that's processed. I'd stay away from most of the food made by Paula Deen and Barefoot Contessa, though. If you were to cook like Ellie Krieger and Bobby Flay most nights, and then the Barefoot Contessa or Tyler Florence a couple of nights per month, you'd be doing just fine and realize that it's not much of a sacrifice. It's not like you need to be on the South Beach Diet for the rest of your life.

Good advice, GMonkey. And I think Ellie Krieger has a new cookbook out - I should look for it and give it a try. Thanks for the encouragement!

Dani

Hey - I just discovered EatingWell magazine and their website. Anyone else like it? Haven't tried the recipes yet, but it looks like just what I needed.:D

I check out their site frequently. I haven't tried any of the recipes just yet though - but do have several printed off (does that count ;) )

Heather

Hey - I just discovered EatingWell magazine and their website. Anyone else like it? Haven't tried the recipes yet, but it looks like just what I needed.:D

Good advice, GMonkey. And I think Ellie Krieger has a new cookbook out - I should look for it and give it a try. Thanks for the encouragement!

Dani

I love the Ellie Krieger cookbook "The Food You Crave." Delicious recipes. I've also found some good ones in Tosca Reno's "Eat Clean Cookbook," but she's a little more hardcore in the clean cooking department.

Also: Instead of rice, you might try quinoa. It has a texture similar to rice. However, get the pre-rinsed stuff, because it's a real pain to rinse yourself. (And you have to rinse before cooking.)

I just ordered Ellie Krieger's cookbook, so I can't wait to get it. I actually have Tosca Reno's Eat Clean Diet book, but not the cookbook. She is irritatingly (is that a word?:p) hardcore for me, although I do appreciate her enthusiasm. I tried quinoa a few years ago, and I loved it, especially knowing all the protein that's in it. Does anyone have any good recipes for it?

I was *just* going to recommend "The Food You Crave" (before I read the last posts.) Ellie Krieger does a fantastic job of marrying foodie with cleaner eating. :) I think you'll love the cookbook. I definitely prefer it to Tosca Reno's approach but have learned a lot from her as well.

I was *just* going to recommend "The Food You Crave" (before I read the last posts.) Ellie Krieger does a fantastic job of marrying foodie with cleaner eating. :) I think you'll love the cookbook. I definitely prefer it to Tosca Reno's approach but have learned a lot from her as well.

Thanks Shani!:D

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.