Rev: "Better-than-Classic" Stuffed Shells

PennStater

Cathlete
This is from Devin Alexander's The Most Decadent Diet Ever (she also has a show on Discovery TV). It's a great cookbook -- healthier versions of lots of high-cal, high-fat favorites.

These were really good. My ricotta was skunked, so I gave some cottage cheese a whirl in the food processor (DH *hates* cottage cheese) -- no one knew the difference And it doubled nicely and can be made ahead.

BETTER-THAN-CLASSIC STUFFED SHELLS
adapted from The Most Decadent Diet Ever by Devin Alexander

12 dried jumbo pasta shells
1 cup fat-free ricotta cheese
4 ounces (about 1 1/4 cups) finely shredded low-fat mozzarella (2 1/2 grams of fat or less per ounce)
5 tablespoons grated reduced-fat Parmesan, divided
1 large egg white
1 1/2 teaspoons finely chopped fresh parsley (I used dried Italian seasoning)
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
Salt and pepper
2 cups low- fat, low-sodium marinara sauce

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Cook pasta according to package directions, to al dente. Drain and reserve. Place a sheet of wax paper large enough to hold 12 filled shells on a flat work surface.

Mix ricotta, mozzarella, 2 tablespoons Parmesan, egg white, parsley and garlic powder in a medium bowl. Season with salt and pepper to taste.

Place cooked shells open-side up on the wax paper. Spoon ricotta mixture evenly among them, about 2 heaping tablespoons each.

Evenly spread about 1/2 cup marinara sauce in a 10-inch round or an 11-by-7-inch ovenproof glass baking dish, or a casserole dish large enough to hold the stuffed shells in a single layer. Lay the shells side by side, open side up, in the dish. Spoon remaining marinara sauce over top. Sprinkle remaining Parmesan evenly over the marinara sauce. Cover with foil and bake 20-25 minutes. Let stand 5 minutes before serving. Makes 12 shells.

Nutrition per shell with sauce: 99 calories, 7 grams protein, 14 grams carbs, 2 grams fat, trace saturated fat, 9 mg cholesterol, 2 grams fiber, 205 mg sodium. -- "The Most Decadent Diet Ever," (Broadway Books, $19.95)

I have this same cookbook and while I haven't made this recipe yet, I can definitely, and emphatically say that I love each and every recipe I've tried so far. And I've tried a few (see below). Even my husband, who is about as picky of an eater as they come, loved each and every single of the recipes I've made so far, which is a first!

Here's what I made so far & nutritional stats.

Potato Chip Crusted Chicken
1 serving is 1 3oz breast & has 206cals, 22g prot, 20g carb & 4g fat

General Pao's Chicken
1 serving = 1 cup & has 206cals, 28g prot, 15g carb, 3g fat

Salisbury Steaks with Rich Brown Gravy
1 serving = 1 patty + gravy & has 205cals, 26g prot, 13g carb, 5g fat

Chinese Pepper Steak
1 serving = 1 cup & has 192cals, 26g prot, 12g carb, 6g fat

Cinnamon Apple Yogurt Parfait
208 cals, 7g prot, 42g carb, 1g fat

Oven-roasted Potatoes, Peppers & Sweet Onions
201 cals, 5g prot, 39g carb, 4g fat

She also has another cookbook - Fast Food Fix - and from that I tried her "Big Mac Sauce" and it is spot on!

Hope that helps anyone! I look forward to trying out these Stuffed Shells!

Take care all,
Viv

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.