Cooking

naynay

Cathlete
I have been trying to cook more, but I am getting bored with what I am making. I don't really know how to cook anything healthy. I normally just make grilled chicken with rice and a vegetable, salads, or turkey burgers something like that. Does anybody have any recipe or cookbook recommendations?

what do you want to make? there are tons of ideas/cookbooks. could you narrow it down a little? maybe you are interested in diff. ways to make veggies? healthy mexican, italian or your fav.?

I am kind of picky so I don't really eat a wide variety so that is probably part of the reason why I get bored with food. I eat a lot of chicken so different ways to make that. Soups as well, I like tomato soup, but the only way I make it is from the can and that isn't that healthy. Salad dressing and sauces are another thing that I have no idea how to make.

I am with naynay. I want to cook more and I just have no idea on how to go about it. It is really frustrating since I am competent in other areas of my life, but can't seem to master cooking. I am looking for recipes with really strong flavors. I love things like garlic, onions and pepperoni. Do you have any good ideas?

I can cook but haven't felt like cooking much lately. I think most of it b/c I'm finishing my 2nd master's program and it takes up alot of time. I have been looking to make things that are simply which is the chicken, rice, green beans. Once I finish with my education I plan to get my energy back and start cooking again.

Not sure if this will help but I have Better Homes and Gardens Cookbook, there are alot of recipes in there that I want to try in the next few months.

Time is definitely an issue, I love to cook, but most of the recipes take up a lot of time and I am not very good at it and don't have a very wide variety of recipes. I actually get the better home and gardens emails and they send a ton of recipes to me and their are a lot of chicken dishes that are pretty simple that a very good that I have been trying. I am not sure how healthy they are though.

One thing that has helped me is watching the Food Network. Learning different cooking methods by watching Food Network has definitely expanded my repetoire. As for chicken, one of my favorite ways to make a dry boring chicken breast tasty and juicy is marinating. Simply pick an oil, an acid and some fresh herbs and you're good to go. For example, olive oil, lime and cilantro; or Olive oil, white wine and basil. I have a Vacu Vin Instant Marinator - it is the greatest thing ever. Poke holes in your meat with a knife before you put it in the marinator and you can marinate your meat in minutes.

i watch food network all the time too.

rachael ray is a good one to watch. she does all the prep right in front of you. lots of garlic. tons of tips for beginer and experienced cooks. time saver meals and tips. she has several cookbooks, or man recipes online.

the barefoot contessa, i think that's her name on food network. that's another good show to watch simple recipes with flavor. not lowfat though.

Yeah that was going to be my next thing, the Food Network is awesome. I'm getting all kinds of ideas from watching the shows, so go on there see what recipes they have :)

Cookbooks!!! you can order some from your local library or buy them online. I recently purchased the Clean Eating Cookbook (it contains 200 of their best recipes from the magazine) and I'm very happy with my purchase. I've already made crustless quiches, muffins, Chicken a la King Wrap, Stuffed Chicken and on and on. yum!

Another favourite is Ellie Krieger, you can check out her recipes on the Food Network website - turkey meatballs with spicy spaghetti sauce and whole wheat spaghetti is one of my faves...oh and her greek style stuffed peppers are also delicious (I make lots of these and freeze them to make my life easier on those nights when I don't want to cook, which is often).

Hope this helps.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.