Blueberries n Cream Coffecake

ElleJay

Cathlete
This is SO GOOD, I made it today... I found the original recipe in Taste of Home cookbook, and lightened it even further. The original nutritional analysis is from the cookbook, here is what I replaced, I think I saved most on the fat, not calories:

Butter with 50/50 Smart Blend
Buttermilk with No fat cultured buttermilk
Egg whites with egg white replacement

Blueberries n Cream coffeecake

2 tablespoon 50/50 Butter Blend; softened
1/2 cup sugar
1 medium egg
6 tablespoon egg replacement
1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
2 tablespoon enova oil
1 teaspoon dried lemon peel
2 1/4 cup all purpose flour
1 1/4 teaspoon Baking Powder
1 teaspoon Salt
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 cup no fat buttermilk
2 cup fresh blueberries
8 oz cream cheese, reduced fat; slightly frozen, diced (just freeze for 15 minutes, it's a little too soft to dice right out of the fridge)
TOPPING
1/2 cup all purpose flour
1/2 cup sugar
1 1/2 teaspoon dried lemon peel
4 tablespoon Butter; cold

Directions: In a large bowl, beat the butter and sugar until crumbly. Beat in the egg, egg whites, applesauce, oil and lemon peel. Combine 2 cups flour, baking powder, salt and baking soda; add to the sugar mixture alternately with buttermilk, beating well after each addition. In a bowl, toss blueberries with remaining 1/4 cup flour; fold into batter along with cream cheese. Pour into a 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish coated with cooking spray. For topping, combine the flour, sugar and lemon peel in a food processor bowl; drop in butter and pulse until mixture is crumbly. Sprinkle over batter. Bake at 375° for 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool completely on a wire rack. Yield: 15 servings.

Nutrition Facts Calories: 224 Fat: 8 g Saturated Fat: 4 g Cholesterol: 31 mg Sodium: 346 mg Carbohydrate: 34 g Fiber: 1 g Protein: 5 g Diabetic Exchange: 2 starch, 1-1/2 fat.

Last edited:
Yum! DH loves blueberries, and anything with the words "coffee" and "cake" is yum. Will have to give it a try. Maybe Sunday morning.

Nan

this looks great!

question: ive never seen dried lemon peel in the stores i frequent... any reason why i shouldnt just zest a fresh lemon?

wendy

Lemon zest

You sure can zest some fresh lemon! But ever since I found the McCormicks zest in a spice bottle, my microplaner has been sitting idle :) I have the dried lemon and the orange zest, it's wonderful...

I made this Sunday, it was yummy. We still have leftovers in the fridge. I used fresh lemon. Lemons are about 50 cents, a bottle of dried lemon peel is around $8. I went with the fresh. I will def make this again, but it makes a huge pan, may cut it down some next time. There are only 3 of us in the house.

Nan

You can use canola oil - I have some of the Enova that is made from soy/canola that I've been using in baking. You can read more here -enovaoil.com

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.