Black-Eyed Pea Stew

banslug

Cathlete
This recipe was in the March/April 09 issue of Clean Eating Magazine. I'm trying to add new things and new combos to my clean diet and this has 2 things I don't normally eat.....collard greens and black eyed peas. Next time I make this, I'm going to try using cabbage instead of the collard greens. I just thought maybe somebody else might like to try this! ENJOY!

Black-Eyed Pea Stew with Collard Greens & Potatoes

4 C low sodium veggie broth
8 oz collard greens, chopped (about 8 cups)
1-14.5 oz can no salt added diced tomatoes
12 oz red potatoes, cut into 1/2" dice (about 2 cups)
1-15.5 oz can black-eyed peas, rinsed and drained

• Bring broth and 2 cups water to a boil in a large saucepan or Dutch oven over high heat. Add collard greens, cover and simmer for 15 minutes.
  • Add tomatoes and potatoes, and return to a simmer. Cover and cook until potatoes are tender, 10 to 12 minutes. Stir in peas and simmer until heated through, about 2 minutes. Season with pepper, to taste, and serve.

Info per 2 1/4 cup serving (makes 4 large servings): 180 calories, 1 g total fat, 37g carbs, 8g fiber, 5g sugar, 10g protein, 710mg sodium

Gayle

i use kale instead of collards and i would probably put in different veg becides potatoes like zuccini,suash,and/or red bell pepper. it does sound good! i have not made one with black eyed peas

laura

Gayle,

Thank you for this one ! It looks fast, easy and healthy !:)
I've been going through all my healthy magazines and ripping out any recipe that sounds good to me, and putting them all into a folder and the plan is to once or twice a week try something new !
This will be in the folder for sure. ;)
Becky

Just wanted to come back and say that I like this soup MUCH better a day or so later. The collard greens aren't as 'bitter' as they were when the soup was freshly-made, and they've softened even more!

YUMMY!

Gayle

OK, just a quickie update. I made this again today with some changes based on my personal tastes.

I used a 10oz bag of spinach in place of the collard greens. I also used a can of Great Northern Beans in place of the black eyed peas. I added 2 cloves of minced garlic and some Italian spices. I liked this version MUCH better.

Gayle

I really like this soup as well! I also added garlic to it and some fresh thyme and mushrooms. I used swiss chard and it was quite tasty but I think I'll be making it with spinach next time

I'm glad you posted this! I have been meaning to try this recipe from the magazine, but I wasn't sure. Glad to hear it's good! I like the other versions you offered too. I have all the ingredients for the northern beans/spinach version already in my house. Yay!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.