Undulating rotation, anyone start this yet?

Dela

Cathlete
Has anyone started the undulating rotation yet? Is it too early for anyone to give any thoughts on how it's going?

I just did M1D1 yesterday and am torn on whether to do another standard rotation or try out the undulating rotation.

I plan on starting the undulating STS rotation on June 22. It looks like fun to me and I have downloaded it to my calendar...:)

I am going to start this too, but not sure when. No sooner than July. I would love to hear early results too.

Just read in one of the threads that Cathe will put up a post-STS rotation for June.
It would be a great idea to intercept STS rotations with this one, I think.
I'm finishing the 5-month STS rotation on August 1 and go on vacation for a couple of weeks. I was planning to start the STS undulating rotation after that, but I might do this post-STS rotation first. See how heavy I can lift with Cathe's other weight DVDs. :)

Chris.

I started it!

Hi Dela!

I just finished up my first week of this rotation w/Meso 3 Week 1. I had taken a 2 week recovery after the entire program. I love this undulating rotation b/c it gives you every exercise in the entire program but kind of condensing it. Hoping to see results once I finish.

Kathy

I am going to start this rotation after I get the tower. I needed a spotter for most of the last chest cycle, though my husband was willing, I hated to ask him:(. So, I will just wait for the tower. I am also interested in how everyone is doing with this rotation-should be fun:D!!
Kris

Hi Dela!

I just finished up my first week of this rotation w/Meso 3 Week 1. I had taken a 2 week recovery after the entire program. I love this undulating rotation b/c it gives you every exercise in the entire program but kind of condensing it. Hoping to see results once I finish.

Kathy

Hi Kathy, thanks for letting me know how it's going. I have M1 D3 on the schedule for tomorrow, to end M1 Week1, then I'll move to Meso 3 next week. Looks like I took about a 12 day rest from STS, I did do a couple other weight workouts last week, nothing crazy though, I've been a bit under the weather, and can't go all out yet.

Soon2bfit, from what I understand (and that's not all that much :eek:) this style of rotation is supposed to "super shock" your body with the constant change of lifting style. If it's the first time through on STS, I 100% recommend doing it as planned, but now that I'm going for round 2, I figure I'll give this method a shot to see what it does. This will also mix it up for me a bit and keep things fresh. HTH.

I just finished m1...I guess that would be the second week. So far, its fabulous! Starting M1 again, I thought that it would be a piece of cake....but it isn't! It's just as hard as the first time, and I certainly feel the DOMS.

Dela, Thanks for that clarification. So do we just download it into our calendar?

I'm not sure about that, I have not been using the WM or the calendar, I just write down on my Cathe calendar the workouts I have done, and I'm reusing my printed cards from the first round, and just trying to up my weights a little on each exercise. However, I recall Chris created a rotation, and I think we can download personal rotations to the calendar.

With the undulating you can choose to do it any order that suits you, originally I was going to do M1, M2, then M3, then decided based on Chris's suggestions to do M1, M3, then M2 to mix it up even more. So my rotation looks like this:
Week1: Meso1 Week1
Week 2: Meso3 Week1
Week 3: Meso2 Week 1

Week 4: Meso1 Week 2
Week 5: Meso3 Week 2
Week 6: Meso2 Week 2

Week 7: Meso1 Week 3
Week 8: Meso3 Week 3
Week 9: Meso2 Week 3

Week 10: Meso1 Week 4
Week 11: Meso3 Week 4
Week 12: Meso2 Week 4

But you can for example do M2, M1, M3, or M3, M2, M1, or any variation there of.

I am in my second month of my undulating rotation and enjoying it. I do one week of each meso cycle and in the fourth week my workouts consist of selected exercises from each meso cycle. I rest one week and then repeat the cycle using week two, etc,

what are the benefits of doing STS this way instead of doing 3vs 6 month rotation straight. i have exercise ADD so i'm thinking that this would be a way to keep my attention.

Hi guys! Undulating rotation update! :D

Been doing some research and here's what I found:

Linear Periodization: When the reps are decreased each successive phase (Meso) and the loads are increased. E.g.: Phase one 15 reps, phase two 12 reps, phase three 10 reps, phase four 8 reps.
-This is the actual STS rotation we follow.

Alternating Periodization: When the trainee switches between higher reps and lower reps at each phase. E.g.: Phase one 15 reps, phase two 8 reps, phase three, 12 reps, phase four 6 reps etc.
-This is more or less a rotation where you do the whole of Meso 1, then Meso 3 and finally Meso 2.

Undulating Periodization: Takes the adjusting of rep protocols one step further. This system actually adjusts the rep bracket with each workout. Since the body adapts to the rep range the fastest and the exercise selection the slowest, you need to change the rep bracket more often than the exercises, which is where undulating periodization comes in.
-Actually, due to the structure of STS, the rotation I created falls somewhere between Alternating and Undulating periodization models. Instead of doing a whole Meso before moving to the next, we do one week of each Meso. As the article states, muscles need less time to adapt to a rep pattern change and more time to a change in exercises performed. So, an undulating rotation mainly shocks the body by moving from an 8-rep week to a 15-rep to a 12-rep week and by circulating between (and not substituting) exercises.

Here's the actual web page I found:

http://www.thedrillcoach.com/2008/06/undulating-periodization-huh.html

Phew!!!:eek:

Chris.

I am in my second month of my undulating rotation and enjoying it. I do one week of each meso cycle and in the fourth week my workouts consist of selected exercises from each meso cycle. I rest one week and then repeat the cycle using week two, etc,

That's a good idea for the fourth week, I'm going to have to take a break after 4 weeks to go on vacation, I might just go into week four (M1W2) as planned and rest after that, but not sure yet, thanks for some alternatives.

Thanks Chris for the updates!

Last edited:
what are the benefits of doing STS this way instead of doing 3vs 6 month rotation straight. i have exercise ADD so i'm thinking that this would be a way to keep my attention.

I think it's just a way to mix it up even more, I would recommend doing it as designed the first time through, it is still a periodization program as is. But I like this way for my second go around with it, to your point, to prevent any possible boredom, as I see it if I'm not liking a particular style of lifting, I only have to do it for a week, then move on to something totally different.

Thanks for that article Chris. Now I finally get what an undulating rotaion is. Once sts is done I am going to take 2 weeks off and then do the undultating rotation.
I will start USTS 9/13/09.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.