Cathe Friedrich Forums

Want our Forums on the go?
Get Cathe’s forum app for the iPhone, iPad or Android device.

Go Back   The Cathe Nation > Cathe Friedrich Fitness Forums > STS Forum

STS Forum Please post all questions about our STS Strength Training series in this forum.

Tell us about your STS results!

This is a discussion on Tell us about your STS results! within the STS Forum forums, part of the Cathe Friedrich Fitness Forums category;; will be celebrating my newfound strength gains after completing sts by ordering the black sts shirt. woohoo! fitjock...

Like Tree23Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-22-2009, 06:44 PM

Send a message via ICQ to fitjock

will be celebrating my newfound strength gains after completing sts by ordering the black sts shirt. woohoo! fitjock
Old 05-22-2009, 08:04 PM
DeCathelete
fit_fairy's Profile Fields

I love reading all of these posts!! Everyone has done so awesome. I am loving STS. I will finish Meso 2 tomorrow. Well, I've been limited to upper body only for the last month because of foot surgery. But I can say without a doubt that my upper body is improving. My lower body was until the detour. But I will repeat the whole thing when I am cleared to start back.
Old 05-22-2009, 09:21 PM
Catheite
tothemax's Profile Fields

My STS results were really great. AMy endurance levels are amazing and I was able to lift heavy when I never would have tried otherwise. When I started STS I was 128 lb and when I finished I weighed 120 lbs. I lost inches in all areas of my body.

I am toned in most areas of my body, but defintely need to continue to work on my abs. More than the changes in my body made by STS, they were very motivating. During these past 3 1/2 months, there wasn't one day that I didn't look forward to working out.

What I hope to get from STS the second time around is more defined thighs and arms.

How Bad Do You Want It?

Jo-jO
Old 05-22-2009, 10:13 PM
Cathlete
DebD's Profile Fields

Hi Becky,

I was wondering if you did anything extra for legs to get the results you did and what type of cardio you did? I am at the beginning of Meso 2 (6mo. rotation). Legs are the last place I see results and of course the 1st place I put on weight. I would love to see muscle tone in my legs. I do notice it in my arms .

I think the next time I do STS, I may do 2 upper body & 2 lower body & 2 cardio workouts each week or 1 upper body & 2 lower body & 2 cardio workouts each week. I will ask Cathe when the time comes what she thinks. Maybe others will switch things up after doing the 3 or 6 mo. rotation. It should be interesting to see.
Old 05-22-2009, 11:26 PM

Send a message via AIM to mommyj
Default Teenagers on STS

For any of you with teenage boys looking to add definition I definitely recommend the STS program for them. I have two sons and a daughter (the newest teenager) all doing Cathe's program. They saw me doing it, got interested without me pushing (I'm a fitness instructor so it's hard not to want to push them.....) and once the first one asked if he could start the program the rest all wanted to know what HE was doing and then wanted to join in as well. I have never been more excited for them. I have seen my own gains - STS definitely creates a much stronger upper body and tighter lower half. Personally, I'm a bit overzealous and I did each workout twice per week. I gave myself the rest but wanted to give each disk a second run through just because that's my style. Loved it! As for my teens.....they are all about to start Meso 2 tomorrow and I can already see changes in their upper bodies. In particular their shoulders are becoming broader, biceps are finally making an appearance and there's definitely tricep definition! (I think the triceps really get worked in STS.) What is more exciting is the fact that they come home from school and each one tries to be the first to "claim" the workout room for the next hour. As soon as that guy's done the next takes over. I love it! Being an instructor I've always hinted at different programs they could try to gain muscle, but we all know kids listen better to a stranger than to their own parents sometimes. The fact that each disk is different hit home with them. I'm looking forward to seeing their results from Meso 2 and 3. They play soccer and hockey and they will be looking mighty fit on the field when school comes around again. From one mom to another - thanks Cathe! Is it too late for my 4 year old to start????? He's using 3lbs for his front raise and maxes out at 8 reps right now, what do you think his one rep max would be????? Just kidding ..... well sort of
Old 05-23-2009, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommyj View Post
For any of you with teenage boys looking to add definition I definitely recommend the STS program for them. I have two sons and a daughter (the newest teenager) all doing Cathe's program. They saw me doing it, got interested without me pushing (I'm a fitness instructor so it's hard not to want to push them.....) and once the first one asked if he could start the program the rest all wanted to know what HE was doing and then wanted to join in as well. I have never been more excited for them. I have seen my own gains - STS definitely creates a much stronger upper body and tighter lower half. Personally, I'm a bit overzealous and I did each workout twice per week. I gave myself the rest but wanted to give each disk a second run through just because that's my style. Loved it! As for my teens.....they are all about to start Meso 2 tomorrow and I can already see changes in their upper bodies. In particular their shoulders are becoming broader, biceps are finally making an appearance and there's definitely tricep definition! (I think the triceps really get worked in STS.) What is more exciting is the fact that they come home from school and each one tries to be the first to "claim" the workout room for the next hour. As soon as that guy's done the next takes over. I love it! Being an instructor I've always hinted at different programs they could try to gain muscle, but we all know kids listen better to a stranger than to their own parents sometimes. The fact that each disk is different hit home with them. I'm looking forward to seeing their results from Meso 2 and 3. They play soccer and hockey and they will be looking mighty fit on the field when school comes around again. From one mom to another - thanks Cathe! Is it too late for my 4 year old to start????? He's using 3lbs for his front raise and maxes out at 8 reps right now, what do you think his one rep max would be????? Just kidding ..... well sort of

This is very interesting... I have read that teenagers and children are too young to use weights because their bones have not fully formed and weights can cause permanent damage. I would be really interested in hearing a definitive conclusion about whether weights are safe or not for kids. I have a preteen who wants to use them, and I have said he has to wait!
Old 05-24-2009, 08:40 AM
Cathlete
Gibbee's Profile Fields

Saturn -

I really think that the waiting on teenagers is aimed more at those who would force kids to do more than they are ready for and not teaching kids proper form.

Preteens and teens who are playing football and other sports often do exercises w/ and w/o weights to increase strength and endurance. Smart (key word: smart) weight training can help strengthen their bodies and avoid injuries.

There are books and articles that have opposing opinions. You might let him start with a less-intense program and help him with his form on that first and then try STS. Just a thought.
Old 05-24-2009, 09:37 PM
Cathlete
kryptychyck's Profile Fields

Default Hi Debbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DebD View Post
Hi Becky,

I was wondering if you did anything extra for legs to get the results you did and what type of cardio you did? I am at the beginning of Meso 2 (6mo. rotation). Legs are the last place I see results and of course the 1st place I put on weight. I would love to see muscle tone in my legs. I do notice it in my arms .

I think the next time I do STS, I may do 2 upper body & 2 lower body & 2 cardio workouts each week or 1 upper body & 2 lower body & 2 cardio workouts each week. I will ask Cathe when the time comes what she thinks. Maybe others will switch things up after doing the 3 or 6 mo. rotation. It should be interesting to see.
Hi Debbie,

I hope this message reaches you!

I have to be honest and say that part of my success with legs is genetic - both my parents are very muscular and so I have a tendency to put on muscle. Actually tendency is an understatement. It is ironic though because I always had wanted to be long and lean! If I don't watch out, I can bulk up fast. I also gain weight in the thighs easily - so I fight back with high intensity interval training and moderate running paces on the treadmill and now these STS leg workouts.

STS has brought out that muscular tendency in a good way. I did not get bulky like I could have since the program had all that variety. I also made it a point to get in the cardio - running 3 times per week and I watched the calories and sugar intake. The change in diet helped a lot. I think cardio + diet helped bring out the definition.

I lifted as heavy as I could go on my legs. I pushed it to failure on every set and really burned out the legs. My thighs would BURN!!!! I would get winded and breathless to my absolute limit. I have found that I have to push it to the max in order to get those results. But that is what works for me and my genetics. I would get some serious DOMS after these leg workouts, but it was worth it. I can't wait to do it again and see how my legs look in another 3 months!

Good luck to you and I hope that helps!
Old 05-25-2009, 06:57 AM
Cathlete
lederr's Profile Fields

i took my week off weights this past week after finishing meso 3. i had my body fat tested at the gym and it decreased by 2.5% (i had it tested after meso 1 and again after meso 3). the thing i liked the best is yesterday when i went and redid all my 1RMs. they were a good 7-10% HIGHER than the last time (some a little more-i went from 83 to 112 on squats (i did plyo legs only for meso 3) and 85 to 103 on flat bench press! all my numbers went up significantly.) that is really what i was looking for-stregnth gains. i don't weigh myself, so i don't know about that, and i didn't take measurements, but my clothes are all looser and i have gained a great deal of definition and stregnth. i am extremely happy with my results and am about to start meso 2 (with my new 1RMs!) this week. i am going to change it up and see how that goes.

oh, i also did yoga 3-4 times a week. i don't know if that helped my results as well.

"All that we are is the result of what we have thought. If a man speaks or acts with an evil thought, pain follows him. If a man speaks or acts with a pure thought, happiness follows him, like a shadow that never leaves him."-Buddha
Old 05-25-2009, 08:30 AM
Cathlete
lala1's Profile Fields

I didnīt measure, but Iīm getting lots of comments from DH and DD. Didnīt lose any weight, but I wasnīt looking to. Noticeable changes came beginning with Meso 2 and into Meso 3...I really like my look now! Am taking a break and will begin again when I get STS Cardio.