Cathe Friedrich Forums

Want our Forums on the go?
Get Cathe’s forum app for the iPhone, iPad or Android device.

Go Back   The Cathe Nation > Cathe Friedrich Fitness Forums > STS Forum

STS Forum Please post all questions about our STS Strength Training series in this forum.

STS first time!

This is a discussion on STS first time! within the STS Forum forums, part of the Cathe Friedrich Fitness Forums category;; Sorry to take over the thread with eye stuff guys! I just wanted to respond to you quick Missy about ...

Like Tree121Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-16-2012, 03:42 PM
Cathlete
cokonkel's Profile Fields

Sorry to take over the thread with eye stuff guys! I just wanted to respond to you quick Missy about the contacts. I like and fit AirOptix a lot (wear them myself) but I do find that torics in general can be challenging for some people to tolerate, especially when it's only in one eye. They are a little thicker and when you have one lens that you can feel more than the other it can be irritating. I do find for some reason that people who don't like AirOptix seem to like a brand called Biofinity. Something about the way the two lenses are made...quite often if someone likes one they don't like the other brand...so it may be worth checking out. There is also Acuvue Oasys for astigmatism. Those are a little thinner on the edge so some people like how they feel better, although that is a 2 week disposable instead of monthly so they can get a bit pricier than the other because you have to buy more boxes. Incidentally, I have small amount of astigmatism in one eye that I just elect not to correct because I can't tolerate the feeling in any lenses I've tried! I'm so sensitive, like a delicate flower! It's fine with my prescription since it's just a wee bit.

Okay, back to exercise! Tee Hee! I really don't mind questions though guys! Fire away!

If it doesn't challenge you, it doesn't change you

To get the body you want, you must love the body you have.

Do what you feel to be right in your heart, for you will be criticized anyway. ~Eleanor Roosevelt
Old 02-16-2012, 04:53 PM
Cathlete
missyt's Profile Fields

Thanks so much for the responce about my eyes. I really do appreciate it!!!

Back to the really topic here...exercise!!!

Tonight is my cardio night. I am going to do 60 min of running on the treadmill tonight. (like in a few minutes) And, tomorrow---Disc#3 (legs)

So excited!!!!
Old 02-16-2012, 06:55 PM
Cathlete

Colleen we don't mind you discussing eyes. We all have them and it is quite interesting.
Missy I can't believe you can run on a treadmill for an hour. You go girl. How fast are you running? I can barely run for 1 minute at 6 mph. I would probably die if i ever went on The Biggest Loser.

Jean
Old 02-16-2012, 07:08 PM
Cathlete
missyt's Profile Fields

Jean--- I go up and down from 4 mph- 6mph. I start out walking at 2.5 and work my way up to 4mph. Then I go up and down. Then I cool down for about 10 minutes at 3.4. I know its crazy, but it is helping me lose some unwanted pounds.

I'm ready for the biggest loser!!! hahaha
They would never call any of us because we are familar with exercise!!
Old 02-16-2012, 09:56 PM
Cathlete

Quote:
Originally Posted by cokonkel View Post
Jean- I know what you mean! I'm pretty good at being able to read people and if they need me to slow down or repeat (or I can tell they are anxious) I do that. I think some doctors are in such a dang hurry because of their schedules or just plain impatience that they rush through the lenses. I hate when I hear stories about how some people are made to feel bad or stupid by their doc because they wanted them to slow down. Some docs just do NOT have any sort of human contact skills! One thing to keep in mind when you are having an eye exam is that to answer "looks the same" is totally okay to say, it's actually what we're looking for. When you refract someone you are actually doing a lot of bracketing, so sometimes the answer will be the same, but it won't always be perfect with either lens. That's when we know we can move on to the next phase. Also, sometimes a person isn't able to get to 20/20 due to cataracts or something with the cornea, etc.
As far as Lasik- Betty, it depends on your prescription. Do you have the numbers? There are also other factors too. Like, if your corneas are too thin you may not be a candidate...although they would have to check that when they work you up. Also, if you are at the point you need bifocals in addition to your distance prescription, then if you get Lasik it will be like you are wearing your contacts for distance all the time...you'll need reading glasses to see up close. One way to get around that is to laser one eye to get 20/20 for distance and leave the other eye slightly nearsighted for reading (which will make it still be a little blurry for far away though). I was telling the girls on another thread I post on that I still haven't gotten Lasik myself because I'm actually too nervous and cheap! I figure as long as I'm happy with my contact lenses why bother? My sister did have it though and she is happy with it. Her eyes are a little dry sometimes from it but it doesn't seem to be too bad.
Okay, gotta get back to work LOL! I'm busy today and yet I'm still finding time to come on here!

Great info Colleen! Thanks! I bet you are a great eye dr. I know what you mean about people not having human contact skills. I'm a nurse and I swear some of them are just so plain rushed with patients or don't even take the time to ask the right questions in order to accurately assess them. Drives me crazy! Those poor patients....it's not fun being in the hospital to begin with, let alone to have to deal with a bad nurse.

So speaking of lasik. I'm a 2.00 and my husband is a 4.50. Are those numbers candidates for lasik, if of course all other factors are good to go?
Old 02-16-2012, 10:03 PM
Cathlete

AT with my DH went great! He is a bit uncoordinated so it was kind of funny to watch, but he was trying so hard...loved it! He thought it was a good workout too Hmmmm maybe I'll get him to try AB next time!
Old 02-17-2012, 06:19 AM
Cathlete
missyt's Profile Fields

That so sweet that he wanted to workout with you. (And I mean brave) My husband would never attempt AT. He says Cathe is to hardcore for him. haha! And he is also very uncorrdinated.

Hope everybody has a happy FRIDAY!!!!!
Old 02-17-2012, 06:42 AM
Cathlete
cokonkel's Profile Fields

Hey Marie! That is so awesome your hubby did AT with you! I would kill to have my husband do Cathe with me! It would be so much fun! Of course, I would be secretly giggling watching him knowing how uncoordinated he'd be but it would be so cool to see him try! With the LASIK, are you guys -2.00 and -4.50 or +2.00/+4.50? Minus powers (near sightedness) with a small to moderate amount of astigmatism are perfect candidates for LASIK. Far sighted people or large amounts of astimatism not so much. Assuming your corneas are thick enough you should be good! One thing, up in the Twin Cities, there is one Lasik center in Edina I wouldn't actually recommend. SHHH, I don't want anyone to think I'm slandering but they are pretty bad. I've had patients from LaCrosse go up there without telling me and it wasn't a good outcome. They pretty much will laser anyone whether they are a good candidate or not and with this particular husband and wife, didn't even bother to worry about coordinating follow up care back in LaCrosse. They just sort of let them go like, okay see ya later!. Minnesota Eye Consultants is pretty good up there though. I really like Dr. Samuelson there. He is very thoughtful and doesn't rush through his surgery. I followed him for a day to observe and I really liked him.

Okay, I have to get off the computer if I'm going to get disc 17 in today!

If it doesn't challenge you, it doesn't change you

To get the body you want, you must love the body you have.

Do what you feel to be right in your heart, for you will be criticized anyway. ~Eleanor Roosevelt
Old 02-17-2012, 09:30 AM
Cathlete

ALL DONE MESO 2!!!!
I can't believe how fast this is going by!! I am so looking forward to my rest week and doing my other dvds. I miss them!

RACHEL WHERE THE HECK ARE YOU?!! I can see by your ticker that you are right there with me. What are your thoughts? Any results? Are you liking/hating it?? There must be something that you can share. You started this thread and you never post. Is everything ok?

Last edited by gratefuldog; 02-17-2012 at 09:35 AM..
Old 02-17-2012, 10:52 AM
Cathlete

Today I did Disc 27 , Shoulders , Biceps and Triceps. I really felt strong today. I was using 13 pounds on the one arm tricep extensions. I am ecstatic. I love STS.
Congrats on completing MESO 2 Carolyn and whoever else did . Don't you feel accomplished? When you recieve that big box of dvd's , it is somewhat overwhelming. Then when you finish , it is so great.
I wonder what happened to everyone. There should be 11 of us . I hope everyone is still doing the program but are just too busy to check in. It would be so nice to hear how everyone feels about the program. I don't know how anyone can stay away from our thread.
Good Luck with the weight loss Missy. You have really done good so far. We are here for you if you need any encouraging words.
Gotta tend to the dogs.

Jean