Cathe Friedrich Forums

Want our Forums on the go?
Get Cathe’s forum app for the iPhone, iPad or Android device.

Go Back   The Cathe Nation > Cathe Friedrich Fitness Forums > STS Forum

STS Forum Please post all questions about our STS Strength Training series in this forum.

STS first time!

This is a discussion on STS first time! within the STS Forum forums, part of the Cathe Friedrich Fitness Forums category;; Before I forget, Carolyn and Colleen, love your avatars! Jean, sorry about the mess with your dog! I hope she ...

Like Tree121Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-13-2012, 04:01 PM
Cathlete
Bettypcw's Profile Fields

Before I forget, Carolyn and Colleen, love your avatars!

Jean, sorry about the mess with your dog! I hope she was only nervous. Do enjoy your recovery week.

I just last week bought a container of steel cut oats to make oatmeal myself. Those are great ideas to top it with. I do feel that oatmeal with nut slices are not enough to keep me full of protein like greek yogurt though.

There's no rhyme or reason to what tv shows appeal. My perfectly sane sister watches Vampire Diaries religiously! Personally, I love all the Masterpiece Classic Jane Austen stuff--you know, English countryside, idle wealthy, British accents, beautiful castles, romance. I'm a huge sucker for it. My absolute favorite is the Persuasion with Rupert Penry-Jones! Anyone watching Downton Abbey? Waiting for DVD of season 2 to come out.

I always work out on an empty stomach.

Did Disc 4 today, after HiiT 30/30. I did 95% of the pushups! On my knees though. My soreness isn't that bad--yet. I do still have DOMS on the glutes and hamstrings from Friday's legs.

Marie, good for you for pre-ordering! I'll do it one of these days, when there's an end date to the presale.

Cammi, great that you did the burpees. I think they're so cute! And they work the core so cleverly and differently.

Anyone else conflicted about what to buy and eat? Organic, non-organic. Vegetarian, vegan. No red meat, no dairy, no this, no that. Sigh, no wonder when I go to the market, I am literally frozen in my tracks with all the conflicting information swirling around in my head.

Colleen, wish you were my optometrist! My beloved one just retired, but her practice, which she sold off years back is staffed with really aggressive people who only care what kind of vision insurance you have. All the eye places near me carry the most expensive label frames too. My husband and I have had bad experiences with opticians too. Ugh.

Carolyn, are you cutting caffeine at a late hour, making sure you don't use stimulating electronic gadgets late, etc (all the obvious stuff), to cure your insomnia? I sleep like a log at night, so I feel for you!

Have a great week, everyone!
Old 02-13-2012, 04:05 PM
Cathlete

Carolyn my dog had those accidents because of age/nerves. She is 16. She is resting comfotably now. That is fantastic that you got thru those pushups on your toes. She did them really fast. I would love to be able to do that. I know what you mean about being spent in Meso 2. By the time you are done with one body part , the next one is almost exhausted. Meso 2 really did me in but wait until tomorrow. You should be feeling it. I really enjoyed Meso 2. If you think you are bothered by sleep at your young age , just wait until you reach the 50's. You wake up several times and wake up early and can't get back to sleep.
I put Ilaria Athletica and Tonique mat and Tonique premier on my Amazon wish list. I am in no rush to get them but they are there so i don't forget them. I also put a pushup bar on there. Keep those suggestions coming.
Colleen I could work my legs all day everyday and i seriously don't think they would like like those ladies. I am like Carolyn and just want lean toned legs. But I guess i have to start first. My heart starts beating fast and my hands sweat when i think about it. I really don't know what my problem is. Did you really have cellulite and it is gone? That is amazing. I really need to start now.
Old 02-13-2012, 05:42 PM
Cathlete

Jean, I must admit, when I was on my last set of 10, and I was at 9, Cathe was already starting the failure set! I sat that one out! Man, she only gave a 10 second break before she was at it again!! I did the tricep ones on my knees. They just don't feel natural to me. I can't figure it out.
As for my sleep issues..I have been dealing with it for a couple yrs. I have tried everything. Nothing works. My mom is in her early 70's and lies awake at night to. So the future doens't look bright for menapause! I still have to get some bloodwork done that I was supposed to do after my anual exam. I just am lazy. I don't think he will find anything medical anyway. I really think it is hormonal. The last 2 wks of my cycle are the worst. I fall asleep fine, but wake up in the middle of nights for hours!!! Crazy!

Betty, I try and eat as much organic produce as I can. My chicken I get antibiotic free, free range etc. I am good about whole wheat and not white. My kids have only known the healthy stuff so they are fine with it, They don't know any different. I don't buy all organic because it is crazy expensive. My problem is just finding new recipes! I hate to think of new things to make to eat!!
Good for you for doing cardio on top of disc 4!! I didn't start that until meso 2!

Marie, I did the preorder right after I read your post!!
Cammie, shipping on the two dvds is $4.95
Colleen, way to go with the lean legs and no cellulite! I want your secret!! That is the first place I gain! and last I lose!! I must say, since doing Cathe workouts I have really tightened up down there. My husband has commented several times. I think it was B &G. I did the religiousley like 2 or 3 x a week all of last summer.
Time to spend quality time with family!
Old 02-13-2012, 05:58 PM
Cathlete

Carolyn- Glad to hear you preordered and love the firewalkers....I wish I didn't have to wait so long to get them. Right now I just knot my long band around my ankles...it's an easy tension one too so I feel a bit guilty about that Here's a little more info about CCC from the website. I posted a thread in open discussion about it too and people seem to really like it. Can't wait!

Cardio Core Circuit workout DVD, 51 minutes, is broken into five fitness rounds and is very cardio intensive. In each exercise round you will do three short cardio drills back to back and then repeat them (so it's six cardio bursts per round). After each of these cardio workout groupings you will do intense functional core work. Other than an exercise mat, no exercise equipment is needed for this workout.

Betty- I try to buy as much organic as I can, but it is so expensive that I don't buy all organic. As far as bread goes, my husband just found out he has gluten intolerance so we buy those type of products alot. I don't follow the diet but try to eat as much of it as I can. PS goal for tonight...get to Catheithe status

Off to go grocery shopping....
Old 02-13-2012, 06:39 PM
Cathlete

Betty- Check it out
Old 02-13-2012, 07:25 PM
Cathlete
cokonkel's Profile Fields

Betty- so sweet of you, I wish I could be your optometrist too! Say, for those of you that live sort of close to Portsmouth (NH), you could maybe check out Dr. Amy Catalano at the LensCrafters there. She was my roomate in optometry school and we have similar personalities. You guys would love her! If you do ever see her, tell her Colleen sent you! I hear you on dealing with bad opticians, Betty. It's really hard when there is not so great staff that turns people off. I hate losing patients due to a bad experience they have once they leave my exam room! Since I work for a corporate optical I don't have any say in who they hire out front. Fortunately we have a pretty good staff right now, but that hasn't always been the case!

Cammie- way to go on the burpees! I actually don't mind regular burpees but I totally agree with mountain climbers being so much better with the discs! I really feel those in my core that way and zero impact!
Carolyn- Holy smokes! 30 push ups on your toes!! I'm not worthy! I hit a wall when I get to 10 push ups on my toes and I just can't get myself to break through that line in the sand. I end up on my knees for the rest. It could be a mental block too...maybe.
As far as insomnia...Sundays are the worst for me! I get so worried about not getting enough hours of sleep that it ironically keeps me awake worrying about it! I usually end up taking Monday as my rest day because I know this always happens but I was really hoping to get it in today. Of course, I could be a good girl and workout right now but instead I'm on the computer with a glass of wine! This weekend will end up being no workouts since we're going to an indoor waterpark/hotel thing in Warrens, WI. Sort of a way to break up winter with a mini-vacation. We were hoping to plan a trip to Disney this year but it doesn't seem to be coming together. We may try for the summer once the kids are out of school.

Marie-Congratulations on Catheite status! You are going to love CCC and the firewalkers!

Night girls!
Colleen

If it doesn't challenge you, it doesn't change you

To get the body you want, you must love the body you have.

Do what you feel to be right in your heart, for you will be criticized anyway. ~Eleanor Roosevelt
Old 02-13-2012, 07:36 PM

Hello everybody!

I lurked during my rest week but didn't post much. Had to really talk myself into doing disk 13 tonight. So glad that I did. I like this type of workout better. Most of my weights were about right. However, I saw Cathe pick up a barbell for the flat bench tricep extensions. I just glanced at the sheet quickly and set up my barbell. When I got done with the 12 reps, I thought, boy, that was easy. So I upped the weight a bit. The 10 reps seemed easy, too. So, I finally went back to the sheet and saw the weights were for dumbbells! D'oh! So I got the right weights and started over again. Yeah, half of the weight should feel easy.

Cammie: I agree with the using the plates with burpees. That's the only way I have a shot at even trying them.

Marie: Love my firewalkers. So much easy to get set up and really puts the tension in.

Linda
Old 02-13-2012, 07:55 PM
Cathlete
missyt's Profile Fields

Hello to all. I am new to STS and wanted to join your thread! I did Disc 1 today and feel amazing.

Don't have much to say, except I am pumped about STS!!!
Old 02-13-2012, 08:25 PM
Cathlete
cokonkel's Profile Fields

Congratulations on starting STS missyt! Welcome!

If it doesn't challenge you, it doesn't change you

To get the body you want, you must love the body you have.

Do what you feel to be right in your heart, for you will be criticized anyway. ~Eleanor Roosevelt
Old 02-13-2012, 09:06 PM
cammie-cam's Profile Fields

marazoe - Have you seen a clip of Atletica? Atletica - YouTube I find it very hard to classify this workout, it's cardio definitely but there is a strength aspect as well. I actually emailed her company and they said she'd be offering new DVDs in the Spring. Definitely looking forward to that.

gratefuldog - I do try to eat healthy, but it's difficult to go the organic route, it can get quite expensive. I am in NYC so there is an abundance of organic, free range, etc here. I may look into it more for the future.

Marie - Check you out! Catheite status! Also you must review CCC when you get a chance to try it. I know Cathe said it's one of her hardest workouts and just looking at the clips scare me. I want to challenge myself and buy it, but I"m afraid if I do it will just sit on the shelf.

Colleen and Linda - I actually liked the burpees with the discs. I think those things are just too cute. I did Afterburn this morning and the jumping jacks on the discs had me smiling, even though I was sweating like a madwoman! I'm not sure if it's STS or just Afterburn from today but I was SO hungry today! My goodness, food was all I could think about. I think I read a post by Cathe somewhere on this board that the second week of STS would make you hungry. Truth!

missyt - Welcome! I'm a newbie myself, just started week 2. Nice to have someone else checking in.
missyt likes this.