Cathe Friedrich Forums

Want our Forums on the go?
Get Cathe’s forum on your mobile device.

Go Back   The Cathe Nation > Cathe Friedrich Fitness Forums > STS Forum

STS Forum Please post all questions about our STS Strength Training series in this forum.

STS first time!

This is a discussion on STS first time! within the STS Forum forums, part of the Cathe Friedrich Fitness Forums category;; Carolyn---I see we were posting at the same time. Put a heating pad, on your back. It should help. Be ...

Like Tree103Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-01-2012, 02:35 PM
Cathlete
missyt's Profile Fields

Carolyn---I see we were posting at the same time. Put a heating pad, on your back. It should help. Be careful!!! Back pain is the worst. Rest!!!!
Old 04-01-2012, 05:33 PM
Cathlete
missyt's Profile Fields

I live in South Georgia!

It is going to be in the 90's all week.

It gets crazy hot here, but I don't have to deal with all the snow! So it is okay!!!! I have learned to deal with it!! I am truely are Florida girl, borned and raised!!!. Moved up to Georgia 7 years ago. At least we get more seasons here. Florida all you have is hot, hot, and more hot!!! hahaha
Old 04-01-2012, 06:17 PM
Cathlete
missyt's Profile Fields

Betty--Thanks for saying I am amazing!!! So nice of you!!! If you stay up to date with the posts, I work in a Dr Office. I see what an unhealthy life does, I surely don't want that for myself. So, that motivates me to stay active. I have not always been so active though. Its tough to stay busy, but I feel best when I do.

Yes, I use to be a fitness instructor....now that I am back to my old self, I have thought about it. But, I would rather follow Cathe and let her motivate and push me.

Jean---I wish you were my neighbor too. I don't have any active/fitness friends. Everyone, says I crazy. But, who looks better? hahaha. That wasn't right!!!! But, its the truth!!! I don't think I am a super model by no means. I have areas that I am working on.....But I am not chunky!!! Look around, Americans are not the same size as they were years ago. Just look at a small soft drink. It is the size of a large 10 years ago. On the bright side, yes I have a loving marriage. May will be 12 years my husband and I have been together. We actually meet on my 17th bday, and have been together since. We have all the same interests....so we do alot together. All except exercise, he says I am to hardcore and he can't keep up!!! But, I do enjoy life. I am so thankful, I meet you girls. I love chatting with ya'll. You girls keep me motivated.

I am starting the STS/LIS rotation tomorrow!! Can't wait.

Off to workout...tonight I am doing 40 minutes on elliptical and then Ab circuits (ball routine). Be back to let ya know if I make it!!! haha

Have a lovely evening!!
Old 04-01-2012, 06:57 PM
Cathlete
cokonkel's Profile Fields

Hi girls!
Today I did STS Meso 2 week 1 chest, shoulders and triceps. I feel like I got more out of it than the first time because my form with weights is getting better as I learn this stuff. I worked really hard to keep my neck relaxed and traps/shoulders down during the workout. I have a mirror on my bedroom door and I used it this time to watch myself and concentrate on using the shoulder muscle instead of straining my neck. It really helped to have that visual feedback!
Then I did the step portion of Intensity! I did pretty good for the most part! I still can't comprehend when she turns away from the tv and does a move off the step. She did something called a "figure 8" and I got lost there. I did the workout on my new cardio club step just using the 4 inch platform to learn the steps. I was afraid I wouldn't get much of a workout doing it on the 4 inch but I was still sweating bullets! It really helped having a lower rise, my old Reebok step didn't go any lower than 6 inches and I would always trip or something when I tried to learn a new routine!

Jean- I agree with Betty about being careful with Afterburn. It's an awesome workout but if your back was bothering you with CSS it will be really tough with AB. There are a lot of moves that require quite a bit of strength and endurance in your lower back. The dixie cup lunges especially! I would probably just do regular lunges at a much slower pace. The running man is another one that's a killer! Just remember to really slow the pace... like do 1 set to Cathe's 2. There is also a premix on there where you just do one round of each set of exercises rather than two. I think that would be a better one to start with. Don't give up on LIS though! You'll get there, slowly but surely! No need to complete the rotation in the time given!

Carolyn- 800 mg of Advil, whoa! You must be in some bad pain! Definitely rest and stretch! I know what you mean when you say you hate it when your body doesn't cooperate with what you want to do! I'm always saying I wish I had bionic knees that could take anything I threw at them!!

Betty, that's funny what you said about IMAX being kind of old. I was checking out clips and I was like, "whoa, look at that hair!" Hee!

Missy have fun starting LIS/STS tomorrow! What sort of fitness classes did you used to teach? I always thought that would be so fun but I have terrible stage fright and if I have to be in front of more than 3 people at a time I totally freak out!

Good night ladies!

If it doesn't challenge you, it doesn't change you

To get the body you want, you must love the body you have.

Do what you feel to be right in your heart, for you will be criticized anyway. ~Eleanor Roosevelt
Old 04-01-2012, 08:29 PM
Cathlete
missyt's Profile Fields

Colleen--- I was cetified in group fitness. I thought kickboxing, ball classes, boot camp, 30 minute ab classes, and sometimes step. I also had stage fright, but you get over it. If I tried to do it again, I would have stage fright again. I enjoyed helping people with there weight loss goals and helping motivate people. ( I taught only women) That helps. I did it for many years, but now I enjoy working out at home. I have no interest in the gym.

I have an eye appoinment on Thursday....wish me luck. Everytime I go it breaks the bank. My lenses are so expensive. Everytime I get a new pair of glasses it ends up being $500-$600. I do add some extras, like the anti--clear coat???? that helps with computers...etc. But, I have to see. Right? My insurance only gives me a 20% discount. That sucks when you have terrible eyes. I was in a horrible car accident when I was 15 yrs old--- I went through the window. Had lots of stitches, but walked away. Someone was watching over me that day!!! But, it ruined my eye sight. Now I have to wear glasses for everything. Lucky to be alive...so I am not complaining. Will keep you posted on my new eyes!!!! (at least my hubby says I look sexy in my glasses!!!!) hahaha

Hope everyone has a nice evening!!!
Old 04-01-2012, 10:59 PM

I was planning to do the 3 month rotation this time but decided today that I'm changing my schedule to the 6 month rotation. After doing week 1 meso 1, I want to go back and do that week over. And I know I'll benefit from doing that every week. Glad it's already been thought up before and I can just click a button and it'll show up on my calender!

I'm getting the turbo tower next week (ordered it today and Walmart will get it in next week) so that'll mean I won't have done too many workouts without it. And doing the workouts over will allow me to do them better before I move on to the next workouts. My balance is not so great on anything one legged or moving so I need more practice.

missyt - glad you fared so well in that bad accident. I had my eyes checked two weeks ago and had new glasses made and everything ended up being about $500. We don't have any eye insurance so no help there. During my actual exercises, I don't have my glasses on but to look at my card, I need them...seems like I'm flinging sweat, my glasses, the remote, and my card all over the room during my 30 second 'rest' (more like frenzy).

cokonkel - that's what I'm going for, doing the workouts more than once so I can come closer to getting them right.

gratefuldog - sorry you're in pain. I've been painting our barn myself but now that I've started doing STS (and working out regularly again), my husband is helping with the painting so I don't risk pulling something and not getting to work out. My husband thinks working out comes first, so he's helping me with the barn now (it's not the painting that has done my back in but the clean up). But I'm well now and won't let that happen again.

Jean - when we work out regularly, the rest is as important as the workout. Talking about physical therapy...some of my pt for my knee therapy was doing squats against the wall. So it's nice knowing that my workouts, if doing them right, will help my knee stay stronger. I just have to make sure I don't push things farther than would be good for my body.

The ab disc I'm doing is STS abs. So far I've just done the pilates version. I plan to eventually try them all. My legs feel ok after doing week 1 legs but I think they partly feel that way because I was so wobbly and off balance for some of the exercises that I couldn't push myself as well as I will when I am more familiar with them. When I get the form right, I think my legs will be feeling the work more. Oh, my abs aren't sore anymore though.

You asked where I was...I'm in Texas But if you weren't asking "where" I was location but "where" I was cuz I may have missed a day getting online (can't remember), I was painting the barn. Between that and working out and other normal life things, I can hardly keep my eyes open by 5pm. When I went to bed last night, I couldn't remember if I'd checked in yesterday, so I made sure I didn't miss today. (Although I guess for some of you, my today is your yesterday).

mar
Old 04-02-2012, 08:47 AM
Cathlete
missyt's Profile Fields

Good Morning! I did my cardio this morning. I am starting the STS/LIS rotation today. Disc #16 is tonight. Looking forward to mixing up these workouts. I am at work so don't have much time. Its Monday!!!

Mar---I bet the horses are pleased to have a freshly painted home.

Gotta Go---Be back Later! Have a nice day!
Old 04-02-2012, 10:27 AM
Cathlete
cokonkel's Profile Fields

No workout for me today! Taking my usual Monday off. I've got some serious upper body DOMS from STS yesterday! Trying not to be too whiny about it! I've got to learn to appreciate those like I do the lower body DOMS! LOL

That's too funny about the guys at the gym looking at themselves in the mirror Carolyn. I used to think the same thing! I thought they just loved looking at their rippling muscles and admiring themselves! Who knew it had a real function?

As far as your shoulder tingling, do you think you have a nerve impingement? Definitely stretching and rest from weights are probably good! I hate when I get that tingling. I've had issues with nerve impingement in my neck causing tingling/carpal tunnel like symptoms down my right arm so that's why I'm trying to be cautious about my form and not using my neck and traps when doing shoulder work. I also used to have a lot of lower back pain and sciatica when I was pregnant and even after. Once I got my lower back strong with pilates and Cathe's workouts I haven't had any lower back issues at all! I can do moves like the dixie cup lunges and supermans and it doesn't hurt at all but instead helps strengthen that area. Even my massage therapist the other day mentioned that she could tell the muscle tone in my back and especially lower back is better! Yay!

Mar- hearing you got the tower almost made me go ahead and get it! I think I may have to start warming my husband up to the idea... I always have to start mentioning it several times to put it in his head and get him used to the idea rather than just springing it on him. He's not one for surprises! Especially since it'll be yet one more thing in the bedroom taking up room! I don't have a huge bedroom either! Sometimes when I'm doing a Cathe workout where she has you jumping forward or with walking lunges I end up out in the hallway because I run out of room!

Good luck with the eye exam and new glasses Missy! Mar, can you wear contacts? It's always so much easier to workout with contacts than glasses although I tend to do it in my glasses anyway since my eyes aren't quite ready for contacts that early in the morning!

Oh, and I like to plant a vegetable garden every year too! I've had some successes and many failures. I tried doing my own seedlings one year...they all died after transplanting. I usually do well with tomatoes but then last year I wound up getting over zealous with the fertilizer and wound up with tomato trees that bore hardly any fruit. Actually it was more like a tomato jungle!! My husband decided we should try not putting up a fence last year and the deer ate all of our green beans. Hopefully, this year will be better.

Have a great Monday everybody!

If it doesn't challenge you, it doesn't change you

To get the body you want, you must love the body you have.

Do what you feel to be right in your heart, for you will be criticized anyway. ~Eleanor Roosevelt

Last edited by cokonkel; 04-02-2012 at 10:34 AM..
Old 04-02-2012, 11:54 AM
Cathlete

Carolyn, after hearing of all your troubles with Les Mills, I will never order anything from Beachbody.

So I had some excitement on Friday night. I went out to dinner with my husband and another couple, it was crowded so we ate kind of late. Anyway, we had a nice dinner, paid the bill and were just sitting talking, when all of a sudden I had a sharp abdominal pain that would not go away. I couldn't sit anymore so I got up to go to the bathroom, and fainted before I got there. Had the fire department there and EMTs, I felt much better and wanted to go home but they persuaded me to go to the emergency room in case I had some underlying condition. So I went out of the restaurant on a stretcher, feeling embarrassed. They ran lots of tests and found nothing wrong, so I went home around 1am. They told me to rest for the weekend so no workouts for me. Nothing like that has ever happened to me before. I feel fine now and hope to get on track with my workouts this week. Maybe I should just take up yoga.
Old 04-02-2012, 12:23 PM
Cathlete
missyt's Profile Fields

Carolyn---Did you get anywhere with Beachbody? That is insane that you have had som much trouble with them.

Mary---I hope you are alright! Maybe, your body just needed some rest. Let's hope so!!