Cathe Friedrich Forums

Want our Forums on the go?
Get Cathe’s forum on your mobile device.

Go Back   The Cathe Nation > Cathe Friedrich Fitness Forums > STS Forum

STS Forum Please post all questions about our STS Strength Training series in this forum.

STS first time!

This is a discussion on STS first time! within the STS Forum forums, part of the Cathe Friedrich Fitness Forums category;; Hey girls! Marie I'm afraid I'm not much help since, when I was pregnant, I hadn't been working out much! ...

Like Tree103Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-27-2012, 07:08 AM
Cathlete
cokonkel's Profile Fields

Hey girls!

Marie I'm afraid I'm not much help since, when I was pregnant, I hadn't been working out much! I used to work out in college and then from about age 28 to 37 I was really inconsistent and around the time I was having my kids I pretty much didn't work out at all! I was pretty out of shape...not really heavy or anything but not fit at all! I bet my first delivery would have been much easier if I had been. I was in labor for 12 hours with my son and the poor kid (and me!) had crowned and was stuck there for 3 hours! I was so exhausted trying to push I was begging for an episiotomy! Stupid midwife held out! When I finally got one, it was all over in seconds! Not a big fan of midwives after that! lol

Maryk we haven't watched Mad Men yet. Got it DVR'd. We were going to watch it last night but I was so tired from not being able to fall asleep Sunday night that I went to bed right after the kids! At 8:00! We'll probably watch it tonight.

Jean you're going to love Drill Max! I can't believe she had it as the daily deal! She must've been reading our thread! It is a long workout but there are premixes. I usually try to do the whole thing though so I save that one for Sunday's when I have lots of time. There is plenty of impact. It's funny it doesn't bother my knees. I do modify when needed although for some reason I went for it on Sunday and actually did some of the really high stuff. There is one part where she incorporates a little tuck jump and I usually either modify or take those to the rebounder but I did it on Sunday! I've learned a lot over the past few years about how to keep my knees happy. I really credit the hydraplenish but I also feel the cushy puzzle mats I got made a HUGE difference. They really absorb the impact. Also I've really learned how to keep the knees "soft" when I land. I am careful to not do high impact more than twice a week too. Everything adds up to make a difference! It was a total learning curve for me!

Carolyn your bathrooms and kitchen sound so nice! We so need to redo both of those in our house! Our kitchen cabinets look so bad and there are a few that don't even match!

Better go get that workout in!
Later girls!

If it doesn't challenge you, it doesn't change you

To get the body you want, you must love the body you have.

Do what you feel to be right in your heart, for you will be criticized anyway. ~Eleanor Roosevelt
Old 03-27-2012, 09:34 AM

Thanks Jean, I got the actual weight numbers changed for yesterday. It seemed some of the numbers weren't sticking but now they are. Plus my calories burned were showing for the stretch and ab workout but not the strength workout but now I have that working right.

I don't know how much my plates cost because my husband had been searching Walmart and other places in town for plates 5 lbs and below, for me. (He was doing this on his own and hadn't told me). Big 5 was the only place he could find them. He was really happy he could find some for me (I was too) so when we picked them up, I didn't even think to question the price, even though I'd been pricing them online. Anyway, I have them now and will get to start using them for my workout tomorrow, rather than waiting for someone else to get them in or having to order them online.

You mean, did I do the 23,681,006 in in Disc 1? Yeah, I did them but I did all of them from the knees. I haven't done pushups in a long while so it will be a long time until I can do them from the toes. I'd made up my mind not to let that bother me and just do them from my knees. I know that 3 months from now, I'll be a lot stronger and will be able to do them a lot better. BTW, I don't want it to sound like I could ever do very many pushups from my toes. I never really pushed myself in that area and this time I'm going to try get stronger pushup-wise.

I hurt my knee last year and was doing PT for it but then I actually tore my metatarsal and had to have surgery. The entire time my knee was hurt, I couldn't do pushups from my toes or knees because it aggravated the injury (a lot).

I'm sore today in the abs and upper body. No injury type pain at all, just the good kind of sore from working out properly.
Old 03-27-2012, 10:05 AM

When doing the pushups from the knees, do you do them all from the ground? I don't see how you could do them from the bench or the ball but I didn't try. I wanted to try to do them all so I just kept doing them with my knees on the ground.

We actually own a real Power Tower! Had it for about 15 years. I could do a few real pullups but haven't done those either for a long time. I still will probably get a Turbo Tower type thing too because I don't have a rack for bench press type exercises (used to have an exercise bench with one but finally croaked). I have bands that will fit on the door too, that will help me to work towards doing real pullups.

I reason I got hooked on weight training for my legs was that I had so many running injuries. Weight training and biking is what allowed me to have fewer injuries in my legs, when I ran. So I guess that motivation (since I loved to race 5k up to the marathon) was what kept me happy to do weights for legs. Now though, my running days are pretty much over because of the knee injury I had last year.
Old 03-27-2012, 11:36 AM
Cathlete

Good luck with legs tomorrow Jean! That's so funny your husband thought Plyo legs sounded scary. That one really isn't so bad. Modify, modify modify is my motto when things get hairy!

As far as push ups Mar, I actually liked doing the ones where you have your hips on the ball and push up with your hands on the ground but (and I can't remember if I saw these in STS or somewhere else) there are ones where she has you push up with your hands on the ball and your feet on the ground. I found those totally, absolutely, positively, impossible!! I suppose you need to have amazing core strength to keep your body stable during those (another reason do more core work!). I'm so sorry about your knee injury and that you can't run anymore because of it too, Mar. The dang human knee joint was just not made to last, I swear!

Gotta go...BBL

Do what you feel to be right in your heart, for you will be criticized anyway. ~Eleanor Roosevelt
Old 03-27-2012, 01:13 PM

Jean - Plyo legs does sound funny now that I think about it.

My husband usually runs about 10 miles a day and he does abs and pullup/pushup regularly. But he has a chronic hay bale lifting injury that hampers upper body work. If we didn't have to deal with hay all the time, I guess it'd go away but our horses are worth it (poor hubby).

We just came back from a hike...we live a mile high and have some really big hills so it's a good workout.

cokonkel - I'm very careful to modify things because of my knees. My conformation isn't very straight when it comes to my legs so I was injured a lot and that's why I put so much emphasize on biking and weights even as a runner. Doing that extended my running career. And yeah, the knee is not a very durable joint. Another joint that is very wimpy is the TMJ (temporomandibular joint...jaw joint). And it's almost impossible to repair.
Old 03-27-2012, 02:11 PM
Cathlete
missyt's Profile Fields

Good Afternoon ladies!!!! Sorry I had been missing today. It has been crazy at the office. No computer time!!!!

I HAVE ONLY A FEW SECONDS....

Just wanted to say hi!!!

Be back later!
Old 03-27-2012, 03:09 PM
Cathlete

Holy crap that's a great price! Wow, I didn't know that about it only being good for a year though...hmmm. I'll have to take a look at my bottle when I get home!

Old 03-27-2012, 06:04 PM
Cathlete

I used to get Syn-ake at WalGreens and before that they even sold it at Wal-Mart for a brief time. Now I can't find it anywhere but on Amazon. I really hope that doesn't mean they are going to be discontinuing the product!

I'm still at work. Phooey.

Old 03-28-2012, 06:47 AM
Cathlete

Well, the Syn-ake bottle says 2009 on it. I wonder if other lotions or serums with the synake peptide in it work too? I've seen other kinds on Amazon but most are more expensive. I liked this one because it wasn't terribly priced and the cream wasn't too heavy or tacky. Crap.

I can't decide what to do today for my workout! I have two non-Cathe workouts I need to de-virgnize but then I was thinking Circuit Blast would be fun...then I was thinking I needed something low impact so Cardio Supersets would be good. I don't think I'll know until I actually go to put something in the dvd player!

Have a great day everybody!

Old 03-28-2012, 07:38 AM
Cathlete
missyt's Profile Fields

Good Morning! I woke up and did my cardio!!!

Last night, my hubby was on the computer and I watched Biggest Loser!!! Once again, Conda is still there. Maybe next week!!! hahaha

I did Travel Fit last night. It was actually very tough. Does anyone have that DVD? I thought it would be a light activity DVD since it only requires a resistance band, but if you use a medium to heavy band it is very challenging!!!

At work now, check back later. Have a lovely day!