Cathe Friedrich Forums

Want our Forums on the go?
Get Cathe’s forum app for the iPhone, iPad or Android device.

Go Back   The Cathe Nation > Cathe Friedrich Fitness Forums > STS Forum

STS Forum Please post all questions about our STS Strength Training series in this forum.

STS first time!

This is a discussion on STS first time! within the STS Forum forums, part of the Cathe Friedrich Fitness Forums category;; I opened my package this morning when it arrived. And for a moment, savored each Mesocycle package. And briefly flipped ...

Like Tree121Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-02-2011, 04:00 PM
Cathlete
Bettypcw's Profile Fields

Default I'm in! And ditto!

I opened my package this morning when it arrived. And for a moment, savored each Mesocycle package. And briefly flipped through the manual (it is so incredibly comprehensive! but I was so disappointed to see the inside in black and white!). That's as far as I got.

Jean/marazoe--I'll print out the chart. Is there a part of the dvd where it goes through the motions of calculating the 1RM alongside the paper chart?

walkingchick, I, too, feel a little overwhelmed and am not sure where to start. I am very motivated and want to just dive in as well.

Carolyn/grateful dog--I don't have the high step, tower, barbells, or slanted risers, so I'll have to severely modify. Is this a deal-breaker? With the exception of the high step, I don't want to buy all those.

The Who's Boss? tee is adorable! Love the charcoal color.

Today I saw a video clip of Mesocycle 1 Chest, where sooo many pushups are done! Pushups are not my thing! After 7 years of doing Cathe, I'm finally able to do pushups on my toes, but not a whole lot.

ro'connell, 12/19 is a reasonable date to aim to start! Need to calc the 1RM and continue with LIS.

But I am beset by doubts right now! Am I in way over my head?? Since I don't have a lot of the equipment, can I still proceed? Will I injure my back with too-heavy weights?? (Sorry, another forum mentions sciatica.)

Question for y'all. Will you continue to do cardio once you start STS? I usually work out 3x a week (amazed that people can do it for 6 days a week), so maybe I'd have to squeeze in a 4th day to do cardio.

Good luck, everyone!
Betty
Old 12-03-2011, 09:30 AM
Cathlete

I am totally overwhelmed as well. I need to hurry up and do my 1rm's!! I think that instead of a barbell you can probably use dumbells.? I think you will need either the classic step or a bench. You probably won't hurt yourself because these workouts are tailored specifically for you by figuring out what your 1rm. I am a little nervous about the squat rack part. I need to figure out how I am going to make that happen without a tower. I have a weight bench and rack, but it is not in the same room as the tv!!! I can't believe how much preperation has to go into this!! Is anyone else going to take before and after photos? I kind of want to. I most certainly won't show them to anyone! LOL! I will have to have one of my kids take the picture! Eek!
Old 12-03-2011, 09:32 AM
Cathlete

Hey Betty!! I just saw that you live in Mass! I live near the seacoast in NH! Where are you?!
Old 12-03-2011, 11:25 AM
Cathlete

Betty - The 1rm's are easy. Go to your workout manager. Up at the top click on One Rep Max. Step 1- pick which muscle group you are working . Step 2 - Pick which exercise you did . Step 3 - Put in how much weight you lifted and how many reps . Then click on Calculate and save.

Also on your workout manager there is a place at the top to click on tutorials. There is a tutorial for one rep max.

Also on the workout manager if you click on STS at the top , you can print the workout card for each disc.

I hope this helps.
Jean
Old 12-03-2011, 11:37 AM
Cathlete

BETTY - I don't have the high step , or slanted risers. I do have the tower and barbells. Cathe does say that you can use dumbbells instead of a barbell. I have a weight bench that i can put on a slant. She does alot of work with the ball also. I think you can compensate with what you have.
You are definitely not in over your head. I did STS the first time in 2009 at the age of 55. I am now doing it for the 3rd time at age 57. I give it 100% and i think for a person who didn't work out much until STS , i am doing pretty good. NEVER underestimate yourself. YOU CAN DO IT.
The pushups are horrible. I cannot do them on my toes. But i give it my all and can almost keep up from the mid position.
I try to do STS every other day and do cardio every other day. Some days i am busy and don't do anything but just do as much as you can. For me personally , weights and cardio on the same day is too much.

Jean
Old 12-03-2011, 02:49 PM
Cathlete

Quote:
Originally Posted by gratefuldog View Post
Jean, I am in the midst of doing my 1rm's. Question! Since I am right handed, my left arm is much weaker than my right. When doing one arm exercises, should I test with my left arm? or my right?
This is a lot of work!! I can't wait to start! I am a litte leary of only doing my legs once a week though. I usually do them 2 and sometimes 3 times a week. It is my trouble zone! How do you guys fit in your cardio? My workout week usually goes something like this: Run 3.5 miles MWF. T &TH I have been doing lower body. Sometimes I do cycle max and turbo barre, lower body tri sets, or butt and guts. I often will do lower body on S or Sun also. So for me to go to lower body just once a week, kinda freaks me out! I used to do pyramid upper body on my run days, but I have been a slacker this past month. Both of my kids are in school full days for the first time, so I have been a shopaholic! lol! By the way...a little about myself. I live in southern NH with my hubby and two kids. Daughter 7 and son almost 10. I will be 42 in March. I am on this endeavor to tone up all the parts that are heading south! I am a stay at home mom. I think one of you refers to yourself as a domestic goddess, which I LOVE! Brilliant! I look forward to the next 3 months with all of you!

Hope you don't mind me *butting* in, but I would use your dominate arm for your 1RM. I think we all have stronger/weaker areas of the body, especially if one has had sports injuries, so I wouldn't necessarily handicap your stronger arm. As far as working legs more then once a week, I work my legs 3-4 times a week, but in different ways. So if I'm doing STS Legs in the morning, in the afternoon I may be skiing or riding (depending on the season). I just don't do consecutive heavy lifting on the same body part and will wait at least 24 hours. This is such a great program, you will LOVE IT!
STS ... oh my #10 is looking good!!!
Old 12-04-2011, 06:21 AM

Yay! I'm done my 1RM tests for the first week! Now some exercises will be repeated.

Betty - I don't have a barbell or slanted risers either so I will be using dumbells for the weight and a stability ball for inclines. I acually love using my ball this way, it engages other parts of the body and supports the back wonderfully at the same time.

~Rachel
Old 12-04-2011, 08:56 AM
Cathlete

Great job Rachel!! I am envious! I started doing them yesterday. I am sore today, so I am not sure that I should continue testing until tomorrow! I used the discs as a guide to make sure I was doing the exercise correctly. I was a little confused on some with how to count the reps. Like when she does the barbell curls she did them 1/2 and 3/4 and then full. Are we supposed to just see how many full ones we can do? Or do them like her? I feel like a meat head! I just want to get it right so that I can get the most out of the next 3 months! Also, are we supposed to re test before starting each mesocycle?
Old 12-04-2011, 03:55 PM
Cathlete
Bettypcw's Profile Fields

Default Thanks for the encouragement!

Everyone, thanks for the encouraging words. It really helps!

Hi Carolyn! I'm in the Boston area! (Hoping for a mild, snow-free winter?!) 'Tis the season to be a shopaholic, but I know exactly what you mean. My buy-as-many-Cathe-dvds obsession rears its ugly head a few times a year. I've squelched the STS one until now. Too bad I didn't think to look for a high step sale on Cyber Monday as well. Maybe Walmart or Amazon had a good deal, but I missed it. Also, before-and-after pics are a great idea. Or a poster mentioned measuring yourself before you start STS.

Jean, I hope to still be working out to Cathe when I reach your age. You are inspirational!

A stability ball for the inclines is a great idea, Rachel! How long did it take you to complete the 1RM for the first week? So calculating my 1RM is equivalent to doing a workout?

Great to meet you all! I have a dear hubby and two boys, one off to college(!) and one in middle school. I love fitness, but I guess not enough to do it 6x a week! I'm also a stay-at-home-mom. Oh yeah, in my (late) 40s my sweet tooth is why I work out! That, and looking fit! (Can you tell I just learned how to use these emoticons?)

Betty
Old 12-04-2011, 08:07 PM
Cathlete

Carolyn - Grateful Dog - Those exercises you are speaking of have their own name. For instance ; Standing quarter stop curls both arms
Seated front press double arms 1.5's
Seated concentration curls 1.5's

You're not a meathead. You are just learning. The people on this forum are so nice and helpful as i am sure you have noticed. I don't post alot myself but i read alot.
The 1 rm's are very time consuming but just take your time and enjoy it. I didn't do them right the 1st time but now on my 3rd round i think i have done them correctly.
I hope that helped.
Jean