Cathe Friedrich Forums

Want our Forums on the go?
Get Cathe’s forum app for the iPhone, iPad or Android device.

Go Back   The Cathe Nation > Cathe Friedrich Fitness Forums > STS Forum

STS Forum Please post all questions about our STS Strength Training series in this forum.

STS first time!

This is a discussion on STS first time! within the STS Forum forums, part of the Cathe Friedrich Fitness Forums category;; Mar I started with the tubing and it felt like nothing. Betty I don't have "stretch max" but I do ...

Like Tree121Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-30-2012, 04:06 PM
Cathlete

Mar I started with the tubing and it felt like nothing.

Betty I don't have "stretch max" but I do have "total body stretching". I will have to give that a try. If stretch max is on sale tomorrow I will pick it up. How did you figure out how to see who posted and how many times? You ladies just know how to do so many things.

Maryk I would just start Meso 3 when you get back from vacation. Where are you going on vacation?

Speaking of you ladies staying in your pj's all day: On Wed. this week it was 11:30 am and I had already done my w/o and gotten all cleaned up. I was out in my backyard. I saw my next door neighbor lady who is probably late 20's or early 30's. She was still in her pj's and hadn't brushed her hair. She was outside talking to her handsome , tight built husband who had been working in the yard all morning. I thought she better start taking better care of herself or some woman is going to steal him away. That is just how I am.

Jean
Old 03-30-2012, 10:40 PM

Completed meso 1 week 1 legs. Didn't care for the paper plate so my husband stopped by Walmart on the way home from work and bought me some glide discs. Won't have to use the paper plate anymore. I had some very shaky legs during the workout.

Until I can get a turbo tower, I'm going to use several (all 5 maybe?) of my tubes at a time for push/chin ups. I'll have to hold them above the handle but at least that might give me a better workout. The way I see it, when I begin this entire series next time, I'll be all set with equipment and will actually know how to do the workouts. And can maybe actually DO the workouts better. (I'm hesitant to go too deep on some of the squats exercises since I had knee surgery last year but or maybe because of that, I didn't feel any discomfort in my knee at all).

I did my abs again. Who knows when they'll get over their soreness, at this rate.
Old 03-31-2012, 10:43 AM
Cathlete

Today I survived CSS. It wasn't pretty. I would say I was able to do 95% . This type of exercise is so out of my element. I am enjoying it though. It wasn't as hard as I thought it would be but it wasn't easy. Then I did 40 minutes on the treadmill. My lower back on my right side is hurting. I am assuming it was the slide and glide exercises. Does anyone else feel pain after those? Tomorrow I am down for Afterburn. My thighs are going to be screaming again. Hopefully they won't hurt as bad. She sure makes me sweat.

Mar How do your legs feel today? That was sure nice of your husband to stop on the way home and buy you slide and glides. What disc did you say you are doing for abs?

Carolyn I can picture your lady swimming. I think I have seen those. Your poolhouse sounds nice. I know you are looking forward to summer.

Jean
Old 03-31-2012, 12:10 PM
Cathlete
cokonkel's Profile Fields

Awesome work on CSS Jean! Congratulations! I do have to say that I tend to not do the gliding disc exercises because they hurt my knees. Actually the mountain climbers are fine but I have to do the cross country ski, disc jacks and momentum lunges on my rebounder instead. I discovered when I first got LIS that those types of movements really aggravated my chondromalacia so when I got my rebounder it was perfect for those. I actually traded away Slide and Glide because I just couldn't do that workout at all but with CSS it's easy to modify. You could always substitute different moves or just do regular jumping jacks and cross country ski moves instead. Sometimes I find other moves like air squats a little easier on my knees if I add a tiny hop in there instead of keeping it 100% low impact.

I'm so jealous of your pool Carolyn! It sounds like so much fun!! I used to date a guy whose parents had this amazing pool. It was cement and had a really large area around it. It was like going to the town pool at home! So cool! My parents got one after I went to college but it had a wood deck and wasn't as nice but still...they waited until I moved out the stinkers! My younger brother and sisters got to use it!

Mary, that's a good idea to double up on the rubber tubing...I actually have two so I might try that next time if I don't get the tower soon. I still hope to get that before summer.

Today was Butts and Guts! I loooove the standing portion in that one! I tend to skip most of the floor section though, again because of my knees. I try to avoid kneeling at all costs so I can't really do the floor stuff effectively. I did do the thigh raises today on the ball. Forget fire hydrants or anything that requires me to kneel and put pressure on my knee caps. Even with the cushy puzzle mat I'm afraid to do that! I did all the ab stuff and even the bonus ab and leg exercises!

better shower, later girls!

If it doesn't challenge you, it doesn't change you

To get the body you want, you must love the body you have.

Do what you feel to be right in your heart, for you will be criticized anyway. ~Eleanor Roosevelt
Old 03-31-2012, 12:44 PM
Cathlete

Not much time to post. baseball scrimmage in a littel bit. Just have to say...my knees kill!! usually my right knee is the one that gets sore every so often. ( It makes a lovely crunching noise when I go down stairs, but it doesn't hurt.)
This a.m. I did Pump Revelution. Now, 4 hrs later, BOTH knees are killing me! I am thinking it is how fast they do their squats. Some are slow, but when they get to the "singles", it is fast up and down movement. I know my form is good, so I am thinking it is how fast??
I think I will return it. I should keep the ab dvd for all of my troubles!
bbl
Old 03-31-2012, 03:09 PM
Cathlete
missyt's Profile Fields

Good Afternoon ladies!!!!

I know I have been missing for 1 1/2 days. I was so busy yesterday at work (it was end of month) I am always crazy on that day. And, then I came home and my husband wanted to go to town, then when we got home I exercised, showered and went to bed.

This morning, I did my cardio on my elliptical. And then went to the grocery store.

Oh, but on my way to the store, I stopped by Bealls Outlet....and I found the deal of the year!!!! I bought (2) bathing suits! Yes...I said (2). They are body gloves. I was only going to get 1 but they rang up for $14.99. So I had to go back a get another. They are normally $85.00 a piece. So, I got $190 worth for $30. What a deal!!!! Now I am so excited!!!

So this has been the first change to even get on the computer!!!!

Carolyn---so sorry Marshalls didn't have any killer deals. I never find anything at any of the discount stores, but I was in luck today!!! My husband says if you dig, you will find deals. hahahaa

Mar---thats awesome your husband buys fitness items for you. Mine does do!!! It's so amazing to have a loving husband that is supportive!!!

Jean---Congrats on CSS---Afterburn is a killer!!! Are you doing the Novemeber rotation of LIS? I am thinking of picking back up on that one too. The STS is getting boring!!! I have been doing LIS dvd's and other Cathe DVD's between, but I miss the Novemebr rotation. I had such great results with it. I am thinking that the STS/LIS rotation would be better than just STS? Whats your thoughts?

Okay, gotta go. The horses need to be brushed. It is getting pretty warm and those winter coats have got to go. Be back later!
Old 03-31-2012, 05:25 PM
Cathlete

I am thinking I am not going to do the slide/glide exercises. My back is hurting more as the day goes on. I do not want back problems. I am sure I can figure something to do in place. That is a shame those things hurt peoples backs. I am sure the exercises are good. I have read alot of other posts where people are complaining of back pain after using them.

Carolyn that is too bad you are sending Les Mills back. But if you aren't happy with it , I would do it also. It is too much money to have sitting around. I am glad I didn't invest in it.

Missy I can't believe you got such a fantastic buy on those bathing suits. That is amazing. I looked them up on line and they wanted like $60 just for a top. I am doing the 3 mos. rotation of LIS/STS. I think if you are bored with STS then you should do whatever motivates you to workout. That is what is most important. Take a look at the 3 mos. I think it is in the double rotation. I think you do LIS 4 times a week and STS 2 times a week.

Jean
Old 03-31-2012, 07:09 PM
Cathlete
missyt's Profile Fields

Good Evening!!! I am back. Just finished with horse/barn chores. My hisband and I made a homemade pizza for dinner tonight. It was fantasic!!! Tomato/black olive/ and boars head peporoni. Yummy!!!

Jean---Be careful with your back. Trust me, if it is bothering, rest. Do not continue if it bothers you. I have a bad back, and when my goes out, I am normally in a mess for a while. So be careful. Alot of exercises you can modify for back issues. But, the discs, not so sure your can. I modify the exercises where you put a barbell on you shoulders, I have to hold the barbell in front of my chest or my back feels it immediately. I also go lighter on weights with deadlifts. I use to be a fitness instructor, and I hurt my back several years ago ---- I did not listen to my body and I continued to push through the pain. It was such an injury I ended up not exercising for 1 year. Then I gained alot of weight. My back has never been right since. I stuggle with my back, alot. I have now learned to modify and deal with it. I now know how to modify to keep it in check. It took some learning though. So please be careful. Back pain is the devil!!!

I looked over the STS/LIS rotation and I think I will be starting it on Monday. I miss the variety. This way I will still be able to do STS DVD's.

I am taking this evening off from exercise and going to spend some time on the couch watching TV. I have not done that in awhile. My monthy monster is visiting and I need to rest!!!

Hope everybody has a lovely evening!!!!

Last edited by missyt; 03-31-2012 at 07:49 PM..
Old 04-01-2012, 09:56 AM
Cathlete
cokonkel's Profile Fields

Carolyn how are your knees today?? Did you ice them yesterday after they started hurting? I totally cringe when people have problems with that! I can feel ya! That sucks you've had so many problems with Les Mills. I'm pretty leery of Beachbody in general. Oddly, I've been tempted to get the original P90X though. Even though it's an old set people on VF lately have been talking about it again. I'm so easily enabled!

Missy- the STS/LIS rotation seems to be really popular! I've also heard a lot about the November rotation...I really need to check that one out. Does it involve STS too? That is so great you managed to get back to exercising after your back injury. So many people (my mom does this unfortunately) use pain pills to cover up the pain instead of working to get themselves functional again. Way to go!!

Jean- defintely don't feel bad about waiting a day before attempting Afterburn if you are feeling too sore or your back hurts. That one is pretty tough and the dixie cup lunges are killer! They will shape your butt like nothing else but you may feel some strain in your lower back at first as you try to lunge low so be really careful at first until you build up that endurance. One girl on VF, it was so funny, said she used those extra tall dixie cups to do that workout and then one day her husband replaced the tall ones with regular small ones to be a stinker. She wound up doing it though with the smaller ones laughing and cursing him the whole time .

Today I will be revisiting STS Meso 2. I think I'll do the step portion of Intensity for some cardio. Natty (of Mini-Natty fame ) convinced me to attempt some of Cathe's step workouts again. I've always had such a tough time with the choreography but I'm excited to try again after her enthusiasm. I got Intensity, Athletic Step and through trading I acquired Body Max 2, Rhythmic Step and the original IMAX, and IMAX 3. Imax 3 is waaay out of my league at this point though!!

Have a great Sunday ladies!

If it doesn't challenge you, it doesn't change you

To get the body you want, you must love the body you have.

Do what you feel to be right in your heart, for you will be criticized anyway. ~Eleanor Roosevelt
Old 04-01-2012, 10:42 AM
Cathlete
missyt's Profile Fields

Good Morning!!!

Jean---How are you feeling? I hope you are feeling better!

Colleen---The November rotation is strickly LIS!!! It is truely amazing. I lost alot of inches doing that rotation. I actually did the 5 day rotation for 1 month and then I did the 6 day rotation for 1 month. I loved it!!!!!

Gotta go. Be back later!!!