STS first time!

Carolyn-

I was thrilled to open that box today. I wasn't expecting such a large manual, so that was neat to flip through. I didn't have a lot of time to look at the book, and I really wanted to pop a disc in, just to take a look. But tonight was too busy for any of that. Hopefully, tomorrow will be better. I definitely need to do the 1RM test. That alone has me feeling a little overwhelmed. Part of me wonders if I should just skip it for now and get moving, since I am feeling pretty motivated. However, the other side of me says do it right!

When it comes to the pull ups, I will be using bands for now. Oh, and the T is super cute. But, I got a L instead of the XL I requested, so I won't be able to wear it for a while.

Yay! I'm done my 1RM tests for the first week! Now some exercises will be repeated.

Betty - I don't have a barbell or slanted risers either so I will be using dumbells for the weight and a stability ball for inclines. I acually love using my ball this way, it engages other parts of the body and supports the back wonderfully at the same time.

~Rachel

Betty,
It took me about 4 days - I'd do them in the evening, (My normal exercise time is in the morning) so that I wasn't too worn out when I did it. From now on there will be some repeating of the exercises with each disk, so the rest should not take as long.

I am almost done my 1rm's!! What a lot of work! I think I need to go back and do some again. Some of the weight selections were off and I was able to do like 30 reps! That isn't right!
My pull up bar just arrived today! I got the kind that hooks to the joists in the basement ceiling. I am also going to move a small tv/dvd combo into my teeny tiny weight room. That way I can use my weight bench and tower, instead of my step on leg days. If I can do ONE pull up when the 3 months is up I am going to give Cathe a big huge hug through the tv!! I will be totally floored if I can do that!
We shall see!
Are you guys getting psyched up for this?! No one has posted recently so I hope we aren't losing our enthusiam!
Carolyn

Hello, Grateful Dog-

How long did it take you to do all of the 1RM tests? My STS package arrives tomorrow and I'm very excited. Part of me wants to start ASAP and part of me wants to wait until after the Holidays, where there is no danger of me skipping a workout because of impromptu gathering and what not.

Also, I don't have a barbell, but I have dumbells that go up to 60# total. I also have nowhere to put a pull up bar or a doorway for a bracket to use the tubing, since I workout in a great room. Grrrr..

I'm scratching my head because I thought I finished shoulders/biceps/chest and triceps/back 1 RMs. I am using the Week 1 Discs 1 and 2 to guide me on the exact form and equipment, but it seems like there are many more of those exercises. So do I find them in Week 2 and so on?

I also calculated some incorrectly, with some exercises going over 30 reps! If only I had seen the tip "You need to experience failure as close to 10 reps as possible when you do a test" before I started! I re-did them today, so my arms are quite tired as I'm typing this.

I'm doing this week's regular workouts on MWF (no weights), and then right after, I do the 1RMs. So this Friday I'll do legs. I think I'm still on track for Dec 19, since I'm following the Week 1 discs.

It has taken me just under an hour and a half to do each group so far. And then I do an extended stretch after. All very time-consuming! I keep asking myself why I complicated things by adding STS, when I have so many Cathe workouts I haven't quite mastered yet?!

So do I understand correctly that when I start the rotation, each time I do a workout I'll have to print out an STS card?

I'm excited for you, Epcot Chick/Jen! Have fun! I don't have a pullup bar or doorway bracket either, so I'm not sure how I will deal with those when I get there.

Keep on truckin'!

Betty

Betty, about your pullup bar dilemma, If you go to CatheTV and watch the first video for STS, she demonstrates how you can do a "pull up" with a band. I've done P90x before and they also demonstrate this method. For me, I have a ballet barre and will be doing mine lying down. Although this targets the muscles a little differently, and I have an in the door pull up bar, I have to use a chair (because I can't do even one unassisted) and I always feel that I put to much weight into my supporting leg, so I like the supine position better.

Yes, there is a workout card for each disk, and as you go the weight it recommends will increase. Fortunately, once you finish your 1RM tests for the first week, you will be using some of those exercises again. And so when you do the tests for the second week, you don't have to repeat the tests for those exercises (unless you want to - since it takes a while to start choosing the right weight to test with, I think I'm going to finish and then go back and do the first ones again).

In regards to the tip "You need to experience failure as close to 10 reps as possible when you do a test," for some exercises the muscles I'm working don't get really close to failure because some other part of my body (my back usually) starts to strain. Has anyone else had this problem while testing?

~Rachel

Hey Ladies! Just wanted to give congrats to you all for getting ready to start w/STS. It's a great program and you're sure to love it and be SO proud of yourself when you finish! There are a couple of STS check-in's over in the check-in and challenges forum, if you wanted to have even more encouragement. It's always fun doing it together, plus with so many people doing or having finished you'll have people at every level. This always makes it exciting since those that are doing it with you are experiencing what you're experiencing, and those that are ahead of you can give you advice from experience, and those that are behind you can benefit from your advice and encouragement.

Just a suggestion. When I joined a check-in, it really helped me to maximize my goals w/STS and it's a great way to really get to know your fellow Catheletes ;) I'm in two of the STS check-in's now, and either one would be glad to have you:

http://cathe.com/forum/f102/sts-pyramid-challenge-december-286866/

http://cathe.com/forum/f102/sts-body-rockers-week-12-5%3D-286845/

Or you could start your own!

Happy STSing! :D

My STS arrived today. I am so freaking excited! I have wanted this since the pre-sale, but I was about to start grad school, and had to be careful with my money. This is a birthday/Christmas present from my husband. (My birthday is Monday. December b-days suck sometimes.)

I am going to go to Play It Again Sports at the weekend and see what I can pick up. I am also going to see when I can start doing the 1RM, I did Muscle Max today after a 6 mos hiatus and I'm starting to feel a bit sore.

Woo hoo!!! Crank it up! :p

Jen - congrats! and Happy Birthday! I need to make a run to Play it Again Sports myself, I don't have 12lb dumbells.

Everyone - What Cardio are you all doing? How are you planning to include abs?

I'm going to do mostly the Low Impact series cardio workouts and I have a few of the STS Shock Cardio that I might do too. I Love the travel fit video too and so I might do that on some Saturdays, if I'm not too sore (otherwise, lots of yoga :) My plan is to do abs first each day before STS. When I did P90x I never would do the abs if I waited until afterward because I was too tired. Plus trying to block out two workout times into my day is next to impossible.

~Rachel

I haven't really addressed abs other than how LIS has been really working it like never before. Makes me want Ab Circuits! But I can pop in Butts and Guts. Come to think of it, I can't remember the last time I worked my abs. :D

Betty,
If you don't have ab circuits and are looking for some ab workouts to do, some of the best that I know of is in Pilates. There is a great website (Ultimate Pilates Workouts » Pilates DVD | Exercise Workout Videos) where you can stream dozens of workouts for FREE!

~Rachel

Hello ladies-

I've not done my 1RM yet. I am very sore from Muscle Max, I went for it yesterday, especially in the upper body. I want to be fresh when I do my 1RM tests.

Rachel, thanks for the link. That is fabulous. I am also looking at buying some of the Ab Circuits downloads. I am going to buy 3 or 4, they are like, 3-4 bucks each. I know some people don't like downloads, but I don't mind them.

As far as cardio, I was just going to rotate in some cardio DVDs. I have some to choose from. I am unemployed right now, so Heaven knows I have the time to do all of this.

I was going to Drill Max today, but the thought of using even light weights today makes me cringe from being sore from yesterday. So I am going to do an Intensity premix here shortly.

I hope you ladies have a great Friday night! :)

Jen

Hey girls! I just wanted to share my finds with you! I went to Marshall's yesterday. I scored some Cathe weighted gloves for $6 and a VERY cool mini mat that fits the step for $4.50!!!!
I still need to finish up my 1RM's for legs. I should be set to go for Monday. I have a CRAZY week next week so I hope I can start.
Carolyn

Awesome score! All of the Marshall's near me closed down. Boo.

Would you mind sharing with me how you tackled the 1RM testing? I spent a few hours yesterday doing it and just about made it through the 1st disc. At this rate, I don't know when I will finish. I figure I'm appraching this the wrong way and there's a better way.

CHeers.
Jen

Good luck and report back to us! I'm sending vibes you don't get ill. I know all too well what that's like.

Sent from my iPod touch using CatheForum

Well, I started this morning. The last three exercises were a little bit of a struggle because I was getting tired, but overall it was great! I was a little unsure about how accurate my 1rm tests were for the first disk, but now I think that they were right on, a challenge, but doable. I have plans to do yoga tomorrow because I know I'll be sore. I'm so excited for Wednesday!

~Rachel

I did not start today. I had a freaking mouse in my house over the weekend and now I am cleaning everything, surfaces, cabinets, plates, etc. I did squeak in Low Impact Challenge, though. I have so much baking and food shopping to do this week. We have CHristmas Eve and Day at my house. The earliest I will start is next Monday, the lastest will be Jan 2. I still have a bit of 1RM testing, which I will do later tonight. My son is still in school (WTH?), so I will help him with his homework (again, WTH?), and then I will do some more testing.

Grateful Dog, I hope things get better for you. I hate when there's a ton of one exercise. Oftentimes, I will fast forward when there is a segment that just goes on. It irritates me. :D

I didn't mind all the pushups, although I did get tired pretty quick and then modified the rest. When I did p90x there is a workout that is only pushups and pullups -at first it is tough, but eventually it feels great! Anyway, one nice thing about this program is that if you don't like one workout - you don't ever have to repeat it.

~Rachel

Carolyn - I felt like I really worked, but I didn't feel all that sore afterward. I'm kind of puzzled at that.

I didn't end up doing anything yesterday, we were traveling home from my parents in NJ - but I'm back with it today. Off to do disc 2!
wish me luck...and energy!

~Rachel

I think I will be able to start on Monday, so I'll just be a week behind you guys. My barbell arrived yesterday and my chin up/pull up bar arrives today. I ordered Ab Circuits Sunday, but I don't know when it will arrive, since I chose the cheapest shipping option. So now I just have to finish up my 1RMs that are barbell exercises.

Wow, Carolyn, are your kids still in school? My son just finished his last day yesterday and was up at 6 AM jumping around. If he had school today, I would be in his room, struggling to wake him at 8 AM. :rolleyes:

Rachel-I agree with Carolyn about your non-DOMs situation. I am one of those people who hate DOMS. I don't get them too often, but when I do, I can't workout that day from the pain.

Marie-Hi! I hope you're feeling better. I hate the stomach flu with the intensity of 1000 blazing suns. I read you are a geriatric psych nurse, I am a gerontological social worker. :)

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.