Cathe Friedrich Forums

Want our Forums on the go?
Get Cathe’s forum on your mobile device.

Go Back   The Cathe Nation > Cathe Friedrich Fitness Forums > STS Forum

STS Forum Please post all questions about our STS Strength Training series in this forum.

Pull/chin up bar for STS, is it really necessary?

This is a discussion on Pull/chin up bar for STS, is it really necessary? within the STS Forum forums, part of the Cathe Friedrich Fitness Forums category;; Hi Everyone, Is a tubing resistance band as effective as a pull up bar attached to door? Need to know, ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By patchworkpenguin

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-04-2012, 01:02 PM
Cathlete
nckfitheart2009's Profile Fields

Post Pull/chin up bar for STS, is it really necessary?

Hi Everyone,

Is a tubing resistance band as effective as a pull up bar attached to door?

Need to know, from you what you have experienced being on STS rotation, if the choice of equipment could affect the result gained.

xxx
Old 09-04-2012, 01:38 PM
Cathlete
Nanbo's Profile Fields

I use the tubing because I'm not strong enough for pull ups/chin ups on the tower yet. I think the tubing is working great for me! I get a really good range of motion and I am getting stronger....

STS 3.5 Month Graduate! July 23, 2012
Old 09-04-2012, 01:42 PM
Cathlete
mini-natty's Profile Fields

Hi there Nathalie

IMO, I'm going to say no, tubing is not as effective as a pull/chin up bar. Have you tried doing a pull/chin up???!!! Those things are KILLER!! Even modified, you are still using a lot of your body weight to essentially hoist yourself up. I consider pull/chin-ups and push-ups, the king of all upper body exercises. If you can knock out some chin-ups, your upper body looks .

With that said, do not despair, you can still get a great workout with tubing. Do not underestimate band work! It's extremely effective and a good substitute for pull-ups if you cannot invest in a bar/rack.

Good luck!

Natasha

Last edited by mini-natty; 09-04-2012 at 02:33 PM.. Reason: spelled name wrong and wanted to correct it!
Old 09-04-2012, 01:46 PM
Cathlete
patchworkpenguin's Profile Fields

I did a workout last week where I started with assisted pullups using a chair then moved to tubing. I actually felt I was using more muscles with the band so I will use that option more often.

On the internet no one knows you are typing with your beak.

"That's the only break you get, so I hope you enjoyed it" ~~Cathe, STS, Meso 2
Old 09-04-2012, 02:13 PM
Cathlete
nckfitheart2009's Profile Fields

Default Pull up bar versus tubin

Hi Ladies,

I have to make a choice between purchasing a tubing or a pull up bar. I know for sure the tubine I have will not challenge my back muscles enough.
It is either I buy a more challenging tubine or just have a pull up bar attachment for my door way.

I am very keen in trying the pull bar using a chair for assistance. Thanks for your feedback.

Nathalie

To mini-natty Yes, I agree with about push and pull up...I will not stop trying to gain techniques and practising till I get better in performing a reasonable amount of reps confidently with good form! :-)

Last edited by nckfitheart2009; 09-04-2012 at 02:18 PM..
Old 09-04-2012, 04:53 PM
Cathlete
patchworkpenguin's Profile Fields

My problem with the chair assist was I felt I was working my legs more than my arms, which is always an added bonus but I felt in this case defeated the purpose. If your choices are one or the other and you are cabable/close to being able to do a pullup I'd go with the bar over the banding.

I have my pullup bar between the living room, where I exercise, and another room, while I can't do a pullup, I do like to use it to swing between the rooms, which is rather fun.
Nanbo likes this.

On the internet no one knows you are typing with your beak.

"That's the only break you get, so I hope you enjoyed it" ~~Cathe, STS, Meso 2
Old 09-04-2012, 11:08 PM
Catheite
myputer's Profile Fields

Send a message via Skype™ to myputer

I have my pullup bar between the living room, where I exercise, and another room, while I can't do a pullup, I do like to use it to swing between the rooms, which is rather fun. [/QUOTE]

I love it! That sounds like fun!
Old 01-03-2013, 11:31 PM

They have a pull up assist that you can get on amazon or beachbody. It hooks to the pull up bar and allows you to keep proper form. I have one and love it.