Help with STS Results Question :(

Stacy

Cathlete
I am finishing week 3 of Mesocycle 3. This is the first time I'll be completing STS, before I had only gotten thru Meso 2 because I didn't own the equipment to safely go heavier, ie. weight bench, squat rack.

I'm both happy and disappointed with my results and wondering where I might go from here.
I'm definitely lifting much heavier than I ever thought possible which makes me feel empowered. (I'm now doing chest flies with 25's and back rows with 35's). I have gained only some definition, mostly in my shoulders.

I have been training for my first 5K during STS, running only twice per week (just for mileage), my other day of cardio is an hour long walk. I did the leg work in Meso 1 and 2, but for Meso 3, I've only done the Squat rack Squat and Deadlift portions. I have some knee issues and didnt want to overtrain lower body or risk an injury before my race which is in a few weeks.

My disappointments are...my legs honestly are still very flabby. I have not lost a single ounce on the scale and while you can't just go by numbers, other than my slightly improved shoulder definition, the rest of me really looks about the same, but bigger. I tried on a t-shirt of mine I havent worn since last summer and it is super tight in the upper arms and gaps there and looks awful :( I'm 5'1" and don't want to look bigger! (Taller maybe ;) )

I love the STS program because I really believe strength training is very important as we age, but I don't want to get any larger! And, I'm not sure what to do about my flabby, thunder thighs. I would've thought running twice a week for now 3 months would've shrunk them a bit. My diet has been the same throughout which isnt 100% clean but it's not horrible. I thought about reducing calories but I felt I would be too fatigued especially going into Meso 3 and increasing my mileage.

Where do I go from here to gain definition, maintain strength but aesthetically change my body?? I want to be able to wear cute summer clothes and look great!

Sorry for the long post!

Last edited:
Thank you for taking the time to respond to my question. I don't have the two workouts you mentioned for your lighter days (Great Greats and Lean Legs & abs). Are they "lighter" because they are shorter? Or do you just use lighter weights? I have CTX and I would classiy the Leaner Legs from Cross Train as more endurance than heavy weight like you mentioned. Just wanted to clarify, thanks! I definitely want to work my legs a bit more once my race is over!

Thanks again! I only do 2 short runs a week, probably not enough "leg" work, as I've seemed to have plateaued from whatever "slimming effect" running initially had a few months ago. I don't plan on running a longer distance b/c it's just too hard on my knee. I may try faster, sprint intervals in addition to more leg work after my race is over. Hopefully that will work!

I am finishing week 3 of Mesocycle 3. This is the first time I'll be completing STS, before I had only gotten thru Meso 2 because I didn't own the equipment to safely go heavier, ie. weight bench, squat rack.

I'm both happy and disappointed with my results and wondering where I might go from here.
I'm definitely lifting much heavier than I ever thought possible which makes me feel empowered. (I'm now doing chest flies with 25's and back rows with 35's). I have gained only some definition, mostly in my shoulders.

I tried on a t-shirt of mine I havent worn since last summer and it is super tight in the upper arms and gaps there and looks awful :( I'm 5'1" and don't want to look bigger! (Taller maybe ;) )

Hi Stacy,

IMO It's the first time you are doing meso 3, water retention could the reason you are experiencing the tightness feeling wearing a shirt. I have been there quite a while ago now. This happened to me when i switched from total body training to split. 4ds was my first ever split program. I am glad I persevered since and my arms and legs look, feel tighter. My legs are slimmer than ever:):).

My post might sound cliche but i am sharing what worked for me:):cool:. I mix all, although heavy programs are what I prefer the most. What work is the change of rep range, type of activity etc.../Cross training. Recently I added spinning and I am already feeling it. I will be hitting the gym (as add ons) to use resistance machines more often and I know my body will respond:).Long steady pace made my legs flabbier in the past:mad:. I limit it to once per week. Plyo, squat rack and mainly meso 2 worked for me. Hiit cardio work wonders for me. I do do high reps too.:):)

I work my leg twice, I have to. Try twice per week and see how your body respond;) You won't know it works till you try!:cool:

All the best,

Nathalie, do you work your legs heavy twice a week? Or one heavy, one endurance...or one heavy, one plyo....Or one heavy, one floor work?? Um...can't think of any other choices! ;)

To stacy

Nathalie, do you work your legs heavy twice a week? Or one heavy, one endurance...or one heavy, one plyo....Or one heavy, one floor work?? Um...can't think of any other choices! ;)

When I am on STS, I stick to the idea behind (overloading). So if I am not doubling each disk, i usually add a second strength segment within the week.
For example when I am on meso 1 I try to add any high rep leg segment to my rotation. It could be one of the barre segment for example. I have, in the past, doubled each disk within the week. It was intense:D:eek: but I was fine. I did not feel tired nor did I feel overtrained. I needed good food selection to help with recovery. I also needed extra stretch.

When I am doing other program, I do mix up (undulate). For example:

• option one high rep and heavy once each per week. Power hours and muscle max can be done within a week
  • option 2: 2 high rep and 1 heavy or 1 high rep and 2 heavy.
  • option 3: 2 split (upper and lower ) and one total. Example: one Upper PUB and Lower PUB added to a hypertrophy Muscle max or high rep

Stacy 3 time total body could be too much:eek::p. I have done it for years when I first discovered cathe, before venturing in split programs. This worked for me.

Sticking to the overload for STS is not compulsory. There is a way of setting an undulating rotation to add leg segments. Cathe has designed few undulating rotation for STS. Really there are tons... tons of rotations:):). This, IMO, help in keeping us all busy and motivated:).

Hope I have answered your question:)

Last edited:

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.