Cathe Friedrich Forums

Want our Forums on the go?
Get Cathe’s forum app for the iPhone, iPad or Android device.

Go Back   The Cathe Nation > Cathe Friedrich Fitness Forums > STS Forum

STS Forum Please post all questions about our STS Strength Training series in this forum.

1RM Test - So Easy a Caveman can do it

This is a discussion on 1RM Test - So Easy a Caveman can do it within the STS Forum forums, part of the Cathe Friedrich Fitness Forums category;; Yes, your example is correct. 60% of your 1RM is 43lbs....

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-01-2010, 03:45 PM
Administrator

Yes, your example is correct. 60% of your 1RM is 43lbs.
Old 07-27-2010, 11:06 AM
Cathlete
MidgetDogg's Profile Fields

Default One more "DUH" question

I've been doing the 1RM tests integrated with my workout. The first time I did them, I did them before the workout actually started. That made for a VERY lengthy workout. The 2nd time, I just sort of popped them in with the workout. Should I actually do them on a non-weight day? I just hate hauling the equipment out.
Old 07-27-2010, 11:24 AM
Administrator

Default 1RM Test

One Rep Max testing is something you should do before starting the STS program, not during it. This will then give you a guide to know what weights to use once the program starts.
Old 07-27-2010, 03:30 PM
Cathlete
MidgetDogg's Profile Fields

Default Oops!

Oh well... too late.

"In three words I can sum up everything I've learned about life. It goes on."
Robert Frost
Old 08-21-2010, 03:46 PM
Catheite

Quote:
Originally Posted by summerwind View Post
For all the hard work put in to STS, the process for calculating 1RM is cumbersome, annoying and time consuming. Finding the exercise in the drop down menu is tedious as the exercise name is listed but not the number-many of the names are very similar. There are over 80 exercises that have a 1RM test listed on the 1RM print out with a still photo of the exercise, not showing the start and end point of the movement (the video will be an improvement).

A few suggestions:
1. Make a DVD that takes one through all the exercises that need a 1RM. We print the 1RM form, fill it in as we go. Doing a 1RM test for all 80+ exercises is 2 or 3 workouts in themselves.
2. Have a search option on the on 1RM exercise page to search by exercise number.
3. Have the option to sort the exercises in the drop down menus by number, alphabetically, by DVD. (yes STS is listed by dvd, none of the others are.)
4. List the number of the exercise next to the name, as it is on the 1RM printout, in the drop down menus.
5. The 1RM print out should group and list the exercises by the DVD on which they appear the first time in the STS series.
6. Have a search option, by number and name, in the column that lists the exercises for which we have calculated the 1RM. Scrolling through that long list is tedious.

thanks for reading.
ITA with all this, as the whole 1RM thing has put me off buying this set and I'm sure I'm not the only one! Since Cathe and crew are about to film the new workouts, perhaps also have them film a detailed instructional 1RM test that can be downloaded which shows them doing all the exercises required for 1RM testing.
Old 08-21-2010, 04:46 PM
Administrator

Default 1RM Testing

Taking a 1RM test is very simple to do. We already have video clips of every exercise that you need to take a 1RM test for right in the Workout Manager. Once you get started you will see just how easy this is. If you have questions we're happy to answer them right in this forum.

1RM testing will help you with any strength training video, not just STS. But this is not something you have to do. If you prefer, as many people do, to select your weights by feel and past experience that is fine too. Just keep in mind that studies show that people who don't take a1RM test usually select a weight that much lighter than they should have and this negatively affects their workout results.
Old 08-25-2010, 07:15 PM
Catheite

Thumbs up Thank you SNM!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNM Videos View Post
Taking a 1RM test is very simple to do. We already have video clips of every exercise that you need to take a 1RM test for right in the Workout Manager. Once you get started you will see just how easy this is. If you have questions we're happy to answer them right in this forum.

1RM testing will help you with any strength training video, not just STS. But this is not something you have to do. If you prefer, as many people do, to select your weights by feel and past experience that is fine too. Just keep in mind that studies show that people who don't take a1RM test usually select a weight that much lighter than they should have and this negatively affects their workout results.
I've just had a good long look through the STS section in the Workout Manager and you're right, it does look easy! Very impressive - I had no idea it was so comprehensive and detailed - didn't realise the videos were there either. Thanks again SNM!
Old 01-17-2011, 06:45 PM
Cathlete
buneknek's Profile Fields

Send a message via AIM to buneknek

I purchased STS & very excited to start but I have a question ( sorry if this have been asked ) do I have to do 1RM with all 36dvd?
Old 04-13-2011, 01:20 AM

Yeah! 1RM Chart is great.
Old 10-04-2012, 10:57 AM

How would I count my reps on the 1RM for an exercise like #181 Barbell Curl Wide Grip when you lift 1/2way up for 7 reps then start at the top and go 1/2way down for 7 reps then do a complete lift for 7 reps? How many reps would I enter into the calculation?

I used an 11 lb. barbell with 20 lbs. on it (for a total of 31 lbs.) and maxed at doing the complete exercise after 7 reps. There a a few exercises like this one.